Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
curious as to what the rest of you set the bar at.

i've been going out in - 3º C (probably less with wind chill factored in) the last few days, which isn't that bad.

back when i lived in NYC i would go out when it was in the Teens fahrenheit (although in retrospect that was pretty stupid).

so what's the lowest temp you'll ride in, if the roads are clean, and the sun is out?

·
Lexicon Devil
961 Posts
15-20 degrees?

When it's that cold, I usually head out for an hour to an hour and a half and do a couple of hill sprints to keep the legs taut. But that's only if the weather is relatively nice - if it's any bit lousy out, I'm on the rollers or jogging.

·
Registered
773 Posts
It doesn't get too cold in TX, but when it does I like to take advantage of it. So far, the coldest day in my area was 30 deg. F with moderate wind. A buddy and I went out and rode for 4 hrs. That was mighty cold for me, but I'd do it again.

·
50ft. Queenie
1,154 Posts
im a wimp. ill ride in the 40s, but dont really like it. anything lower than that, it better be a 'cross race.
when its cold, i much prefer the trainer.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
It doesn't even get down to freezing here, but 2-3 degrees C with a 20-30kph wind and a downpour is pretty nasty...

·
Registered
985 Posts
Something like to -20C, but better ask Nordic-skiers :D .
BTW, vy records are -10C on bike and -28C skying (high-intensity training).

botto said:

i've been going out in - 3º C (probably less with wind chill factored in) the last few days, which isn't that bad.

back when i lived in NYC i would go out when it was in the Teens fahrenheit (although in retrospect that was pretty stupid).

so what's the lowest temp you'll ride in, if the roads are clean, and the sun is out?

·
Registered
22 Posts
botto said:

You people are wimps. Up here in the Frozen North (Wisconsin) I have ridden when it has been in the 20s. As long as there isn't too much wind, the pavement is dry and ice free, and you have the proper clothing, riding when it is cold isn't a problem. You are going to warm up if you put out enough effort. In fact, my problem used to be overdressing. I would be fine for the first couple of miles, but as the blood started to pump, I would get warm. And then I would overheat. So now I am cold for the first few miles, but by mile five and I am warm and comfortable. And I say that way for the entire ride.
I dress in layers, being careful not to wear anything cotton. Cotton is a terrible cold weather fabric. When it is wet, it's fibers lay down and it holds the water. I wear a lycra t-shirt, Craft pro long underpant, Lifa underwear, two pairs of socks - one wool and one synthetic - neoprene booties, a winter jersey, heavy weight tights, warm windblocking jacket, lobster gloves, a balclava and a helmet cover. Some sensitive areas of my body get four layers of coverage. It sounds bulky, but it is not. Anything you wear should be wicking away the moisture. That's the key to staying warm, staying dry.
I also have a trainer that I ride on rainy days, or days when the wind is blowing just too hard, or when the roads are snowy and icy. But, I would much ratther be outside. Riding a trainer can be soooo boring, even with DVDs, music, books, training program, etc.
One note about cold weather riding - it is just as easy to dehydrate as when it is warm, easier maybe because you don't feel as thirsty for some reason. You gotta drink fluids when you are on the bike in the cold
Good luck and go for it.
. :cool:

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Formula

JJCole said:
You people are wimps. Up here in the Frozen North (Wisconsin) I have ridden when it has been in the 20s. As long as there isn't too much wind, the pavement is dry and ice free, and you have the proper clothing, riding when it is cold isn't a problem...
Riding at 32F degrees is not too cold here in Frozen Indiana. Basically you can subtract one degree for each of week you have been riding the trainer indoors and then subtract one degree for each of your buddies you can convince to ride with you. So if you have been trapped inside for three weeks because of snow covered roads and four of you buddies are have gone crazy in their basement too and want to ride the temperature threshold is 25F = 32 - 3 - 4. The sun helps even when it is cold.

In reality I typically will not ride on the road much below 26F or 27F do to the windchill created from riding. Keep close to home/car doing repeated short loops so you have can get back quickly after a flat or other stop where your sweat starts to freeze. For colder temps break out the mountain bike and hit the trails. Slower speeds and the trees help block the wind. If you are not close to the trails then consider urban exploring riding alleys, sidewalks, etc in town. I have ridden the MTB in the teens but typically stay in if it is below 20F.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
botto said:

Use to be below 20 degrees, last year it was below 32 degrees, this year I'm leaning more towards 35 degrees being the cut off, another few years and it will probably be 40 degrees.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I will ride to about 20 F, and even have gone out in the teens, but I wouldn't call it training.
Below about freezing, it gets pretty hard to go hard. Over about 35, though, I'm good to go.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Depends on the frame of reference

botto said:

Saturday I had 3 Celsius, a 30 km/h wind and then some heavy rain/slush/wet snow decided to arrive. I'm sure I have been colder at some point in my past, but not recently. The worst part was that when I left home it was pretty clear and I thought it might only be a light shower at worst. So, no rain cape and only wind-tex gloves and then I froze.

If it is dry, it is not too bad to ride sub-freezing temps to around -5 C. I can usually manage a couple of hours, depending on the wind. Unfortunately here in the Pacific NorthWET, we haven't had cold and dry for over 6 weeks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I am in Northern Wisconsin and if the roads are clear, the sun is out and it is above 30°F I am on the road n my salt bike. The hardest thing for me is keeping the feet warm. Ride hard and dress right and the core will NEVER get cold. But the wind chill on the toes is what does me in.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ice sucks

I don't ride when the roads are slushy and icy. Besides that I ride as much as I can outdoors. My feet get numb too in Vermont. If the road are dry and I'm can't stand another day on my trainer, I will ride outside. I would not ride much under 30 degrees unless your die hard about riding outside while you can get almost better results on your trainer.

Dan

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm with you on this one......

JJCole said:
You people are wimps.:
Living next door in Minnesota a few years has extended (downward) my comfort zone on the bike. Two rides this season stand out as examples - Thanksgiving in Wisconsin (17F and windy) for two hours and Sunday before last (25F and windy) for three hours.

Cold tolerance comes down to three areas: attitude, acclimitization, clothing. JJ describes the clothing issues really well and the other two are pretty obvious.

Like many, the weak link in staying warm for me was my feet. Two things fixed this. First, winter mountain bike shoes (Lake) sized one size too large for extra sock room. Second, when the feet do start getting cold, get off the bike and jog for a couple minutes. Good to go for another hour. :cool:

One other issue that affects hydration is preventing your water from freezing. Keep your bottles under cover. Mmm, slushies! :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Don't look at the thermometer

I just got back from a rather chilly ride. Here in the valley it is 34F, but I was riding up through the mountains. Rule of thumb for me, if the pavement is wet, if it is percipitating, or it is bellow freezing ride off road. If it is dry and close to freezing mark, ride road. If you don't look at the thermometer untill after the ride then you will have less of the phsycological pain induced by seeing low temperatures, and will instead be increadibly proud of yourself for not whimping out.

·
Registered
896 Posts
too cold is when you put youself in danger

when it gets to a certain temperature, its very difficult to have an effective training ride and still be protected from cold. its not like you are going to ride in snowboats and a Cabelas Iditarod survival suit. at a certain temp, you would need this gear to keep from freezing, even if you are staying active. in simpler terms, its too cold if you can't stay warm while wearing the gear that you own. fingers and toes getting a little numb is one thing, frostbite is another. I still have painful memories of XC ski racing in New England in those lycra body suits and uninsulated leather gloves. it would be so cold sometimes that your d*** would go numb, as well as fingers. the pain when the blood started flowing again was unreal. I guess there was no long term damage done, so it wasn't too cold

Angelracer said:
I don't ride when the roads are slushy and icy. Besides that I ride as much as I can outdoors. My feet get numb too in Vermont. If the road are dry and I'm can't stand another day on my trainer, I will ride outside. I would not ride much under 30 degrees unless your die hard about riding outside while you can get almost better results on your trainer.

Dan

·
Registered
676 Posts
I'm comfortable @ ~25Fwith a wind not over 12mph, then it gets to be less pleasurable to be out..I'm more critical of riding if the winds are going to be >30mph with higher gusts...riding into a 30-40mph wind tells me that I'm not having much fun...just building character :). I ride first for pleasure, second for exercise....but if the group wants to ride in whatever...Clip-in & lets go!

·
Registered
155 Posts
-5 today. That was not enjoyable for the simple fact that i had intended to put in some mileage, and i had to cut it short, because i was using more energy trying to get fluid out of my bottle when the contents were frozen.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts