Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
7,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like Cannondale frames and sometimes toy with the idea of building up a BB30 one. Then I'm immediately discouraged by the scarcity of BB30 cranksets and BB's.

yesterday I checked:

ebay - one well worn crankset, high price, :eek: not my size.
then
Ribble
Total
Wiggle
no BB30 components at all.:(

Licks are carrying Sram - I don't want to mix with Campy stuff.

After all these years, and with increasing use of BB30, why is this?

any suggestions/sources?

· Registered
22 Posts
You could alway run a Wheels Manufacturing BB30 adapter with your favorite crankset. I just picked up a new supersix frame and that's what I plan on doing this weekend. The adapter press-fits into the BB30 bearings and is easily removable down the road when the standard is picked up be more manufacturers (unlike installing the BB30 adapter shell like the one FSA makes that is fairly permenant).

Here's a pic of the adapter I'm talking about on a bike: http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/05/17/wheels-manufacturing-bb30-adaptr-now-available/

Hope this helps.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
It's because BB30 is a fad that will soon die out.

· Registered
5,084 Posts
skyliner1004 said:

Sram is going on BB30 now.

As I remember, cdale made (I think it was them) BB30 an open (no license) standard is hopes to improve that area of the bike with the bigger bearings and increased stiffness (it's noticeable, but certainly won't kill your ride if you don't have it).

But then Specialized tried to out do cdale with their wider BB30 clone. I think Shimano has something going in that area too that is not compatible.

I have a BB30 mtb frame, but used an adapter because the BB30 selection was limited and I didnt have an unlimited budget at the time. I may upgrade at some point now that there are more available.

· Registered
6,326 Posts
investment

bikerjulio said:
After all these years, and with increasing use of BB30, why is this?
?
If you were a manufacturer of bike parts you would want to make sure that there is enough money to be made there before investing in tooling and an expanded product line. While there may be those that would argue that BB30 is some sort of improvement, its pretty much a big "who cares" to me

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
The company I work for produces several bikes and frames that accept BB30 bottom brackets.

Those that have bought frame-only or changed parts at first were a little stuck, but now there are several widely-available adapters around.

The ones that seem to work the best allow you to use BB30 bearings, and just step down for the crank.

Adapters that create a threaded area for an external BB, and use "normal" bottom brackets, seem to do less well atmo.

· Registered
7,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the feedback so far

cmolway said:
You could alway run a Wheels Manufacturing BB30 adapter with your favorite crankset. I just picked up a new supersix frame and that's what I plan on doing this weekend. The adapter press-fits into the BB30 bearings and is easily removable down the road when the standard is picked up be more manufacturers (unlike installing the BB30 adapter shell like the one FSA makes that is fairly permenant).

Here's a pic of the adapter I'm talking about on a bike: http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/05/17/wheels-manufacturing-bb30-adaptr-now-available/

Hope this helps.
the writeup on this adapter says "Do you own a frame that is equipped with a BB30 bottom bracket and want to run the new Dura Ace Crank? Maybe you’re planning on upgrading your frame, or already have a bike that came with an entry level BB30 crank and you don’t want to throw away that sweet 7800 DA crank. If you fit into any of these categories, then you need to look up the new BB30 shims from Wheels Manufacturing.

You’re probably asking yourself, “don’t some frames already come with adapters to run a standard crankset?” Yes they do, but they require you to Loctite a heavy metal sleeve into the frame and then thread in the standard bottom bracket. They also require a headset press to install the adapter, and there is a risk of damaging the frame if installed or removed improperly. The Wheels Manufacturing adapters require no Loctite or major tools to install, allow use of the BB30 bottom bracket bearings and should add up to a much lighter total system weight.

The new Delrin adapters allow the use of any 24 mm non-tapered spindle two-piece crankset. Namely this amounts to Shimano Hollowtech II and Raceface X-Type crank systems"

I have a Truvative roleur crankset. Does it fit the description above?

· Registered
459 Posts
Ive been using the FSA K-Force Light BB30 crankset with my Campy SR 11 and it works great. I know that the FSA might be a step down from the SR crankset (which was excellent) but I don't notice any performance loss and, subjectively here, the bb area seems stiffer overall. I repeat, this is my subjective opinion here.

I tried the Campy OS adapters with my Campy crankset but I couldn't stop the annoying creaking so opted for the FSA. So far, I'm pleased with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.