Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the stuff too heavy, hard to work with, stiff? Would seem like a natural. Never seen one.
Seen stainless lugs and the like, but never a frame.

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
I don't know of any mass-produced bike in stainless. Lots of custom builders build with it.

Look for bikes made with Reynolds 953, Columbus XCR, or True Temper S3.

One builder who works extensively with 953 is Dave Anderson in St Paul, MN.

mercksman is right about the pricing. Stainless frames come in just a little under titanium ones on the price scale.

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
TWB8s said:
Because there's nothing wrong with regular steel.
No there isn't, at least not for fair-weather riders.

I commute daily, year-round in all conditions. Our salty Update NY winters are the reason I ride aluminum in the winter. When this bike wears out, I'll be looking at either stainless or Ti for their corrosion resistance.

My steel bike stays inside from November to April, and doesn't go out in the rain during the rest of the year.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
brucew said:
I don't know of any mass-produced bike in stainless. Lots of custom builders build with it.

Look for bikes made with Reynolds 953, Columbus XCR, or True Temper S3.

One builder who works extensively with 953 is Dave Anderson in St Paul, MN.

mercksman is right about the pricing. Stainless frames come in just a little under titanium ones on the price scale.
S3 isn't stainless.

Stainless frames are pretty rare at this point, and pricey because it requires a pretty special alloy to be be strong enough without extensive post weld heat treating. But really, I don't see all sorts of stuff that should be common. I don't think I've ever seen a Time frame in real life, for instance.

My favorite stainless frames are fillet brazed. The brass and bare steel is really cool.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow, how are these finishes possible:

??
Never seen that before.

Also, something about Stainless Steel that I would see has an advantage over Ti is the ability to have lugs and finishes like that ^^ plus it can be ridden non-painted.

·
Sculpture on 2 wheels
1,600 Posts
Form Cycles makes one the Revel looks like an amazing machine..

Stainless Steel BB30 :thumbsup: I'm thinking you could get within a hair of the 15 lb mark
Fairly easily.. A very classy choice.. Maybe my next ride.. :D

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
rx-79g said:
S3 isn't stainless.
You're right. My mistake in research.

I know a guy who races on a Waterford R-33-S. When I researched, I forgot the "S" part. The R-33 is made with S3, the R-33-S is the stainless one, made with 953.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
medimond said:
It's Stain-LESS not Stain-FREE steel, it's not as corrosion resistant as Ti.
Well, stainless bicycle tubing is much more corrosion resistant than aluminum - the rain bike favorite. Low carbon stainless, like the kind they make diver watches out of, is pretty damn rust proof. And 953 is has very low carbon. I would expect this stuff to be much more stain resistant than stainless knife or firearm steel.

I'd bet on 953 over carbon for long term wear and tear.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Doggity said:
Is the stuff too heavy, hard to work with, stiff? Would seem like a natural. Never seen one.
Seen stainless lugs and the like, but never a frame.
Now you've seen two. I think that might qualify as a "rash" of stainless steel frame sightings.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Why you don't see more.....

- Cost. The premium over regular steel is hard for many to justify......it pushes many to TI.

- Difficulty to work with. This drives part of the cost issue. In addition, more than a few respected builders don't want to/won't work with it because it is so hard to work with.

IMO, it's a solution looking for a problem for the most part....hence it is a very niche product. Done right, there are beutiful bikes made with it, but not many are willing to pay the price.

Len

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
rx-79g said:
Well, stainless bicycle tubing is much more corrosion resistant than aluminum - the rain bike favorite.
A side note, but the aluminum 'winter bike' choice isn't all that the common wisdom would suggest. Bare aluminum reacts badly to road salt - quite a bit worse than quality steels.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.