Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
pack fodder
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

There are a certain % of voters who will vote against George Bush and for John Kerry (the presumptive nominee) no matter what. There are a certain % of voters who will vote for GWB and against John Kerry no matter what. As usual, this election will be decided by the "remaining voters".

Going in, I felt that Plan A of the RNC would be to focus on the similarities of Kerry's voting record to that of Ted Kennedy (while running photos & videos of the two together for effect). You know, that whole "Northeast Liberal" thing. For those voters not included in either group mentioned in the first paragraph, anything having to do with Jane Fonda's activities in re the Vietnam War <i>may</i> be more of a hot-button issue. For better or for worse, elections normally come down to perceptions. How will/should this photo be perceived?

Despite what we learned/heard during since the '92 campaign, the Vietnam War issue just won't go away ... for either side.

·
Seeking shades of grey
1,804 Posts
One of the reasons I, and many mostly up-standing Americans, will never run for public office is because of things like this. Like most people I went through a period of bad hair and taste. I'm sure someone would dig up a photo or story from my less than pristine past. Pretty superficial stuff, most of it. I hope it doesn't affect the election.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
HouseMoney said:

There are a certain % of voters who will vote against George Bush and for John Kerry (the presumptive nominee) no matter what. There are a certain % of voters who will vote for GWB and against John Kerry no matter what. As usual, this election will be decided by the "remaining voters".

Going in, I felt that Plan A of the RNC would be to focus on the similarities of Kerry's voting record to that of Ted Kennedy (while running photos & videos of the two together for effect). You know, that whole "Northeast Liberal" thing. For those voters not included in either group mentioned in the first paragraph, anything having to do with Jane Fonda's activities in re the Vietnam War <i>may</i> be more of a hot-button issue. For better or for worse, elections normally come down to perceptions. How will/should this photo be perceived?

Despite what we learned/heard during since the '92 campaign, the Vietnam War issue just won't go away ... for either side.
Why would this photo be negative? All I see is a bunch of college students in typical 70s garb listening to something--might be a political speech, might be Hendrix...is there a story behind this? Is there a joint being passed about? I don't get it.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
COOL .......... He's got my vote.......

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bocephus Jones wrote:
Why would this photo be negative? All I see is a bunch of college students in typical 70s garb listening to something--might be a political speech, might be Hendrix...is there a story behind this? Is there a joint being passed about? I don't get it.
Maybe because the female in the foreground is Jane Fonda aka Hanoi Jane back in those days, and by many VN vets today?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Bike Fool said:
Bocephus Jones wrote:
Maybe because the female in the foreground is Jane Fonda aka Hanoi Jane back in those days, and by many VN vets today?
So he's guilty of being in the same gathering as Fonda then? Seems a bit of a stretch. It isn't like they are hanging out together and holding up a burning American flag or anything.

·
I don't exist
2,029 Posts
No damage, means nothing...

My feeling:

Many V V's were pissed, confused & disillusioned, and they were young.

The Viet Nam (police action) was ugly for all involved.

Life & time change all. Kerry was in country & in combat.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Good question. Jane is trying to restart her career right now, and being associated with Kerry may not help. I think she'll be fine. She's a fine actress and there are probably producers lining up to cast her as we speak. She just needs to get some good scripts and she can put that whole Kerry episode far behind her.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Live Steam said:
Lots of stuff he'll have to answer to eventually!
http://frontpagemag.com/Articles/Printable.asp?ID=11866
And I'm sure he'll give the typical politicians answer--just like GWB does when asked a question that might shed light on their actual views or actions. All this said...is protesting a war considered unjust? Especially a war that he actually fought in. It's not like he's some draft dodging hippy that is railing against the US soldier...he actually was a US soldier. And I'm guessing that outside the more radical of the Viet Vets there are plenty of soldiers who would agree 100% that the war was not a good idea. I'd rather have something like this on my past record than a history of documented drug abuse and nepotism.

·
I don't exist
2,029 Posts
Agreed.

A time and events that can only leave you shaking your head over.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
As an ex-Special Forces Vietnam vet, I like it fine

I was a medic with Detachment A-255, the Special Forces A Camp at Plei Me, in 1967-68. On the basis of that experience, when I came home and went back to school I was active in anti-war protests, joined Vietnam Veterans Against the War and was proud to march with Fonda on two occasions. I'll trust Kerry's take on war over George "No, honest, I DID show up" Bush's any time.

·
pack fodder
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mohair_chair said:
Good question. Jane is trying to restart her career right now, and being associated with Kerry may not help. I think she'll be fine. She's a fine actress and there are probably producers lining up to cast her as we speak. She just needs to get some good scripts and she can put that whole Kerry episode far behind her.
Yeah, right! :rolleyes:

How do you explain Barbarella, then?! :D

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
HouseMoney said:
Yeah, right! :rolleyes:

How do you explain Barbarella, then?! :D
Simple. Roger Vadim.

Every great actor has at least one turkey in their past. Jane has a few. But hey, nobody's perfect. Whatever you think of her politics, Jane's definitely one of the greats.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
I think he went AWOL, but we'll never know.

Unquestionably, he got special treatment just to get into the guard when he did. I don't have a quarrel with that--I would have leaped at the chance to stay in California if my father had any pull. The main reason I volunteered for Special Forces was because the course was nearly two years long and who believed we'd still be in Vietnam when I graduated? I don't blame Bush OR Clinton (or Cheney, Armey, Gramm, McConnell or the rest of the chickenhawks) for taking the easiest way out--I just wish our foreign policy weren't in the hands of people who've never heard a shot fired except at a tame quail.
If you believe those records the White House SAYS prove Bush served, though (and what would you expect them to say? "We've released these, and they prove he took a pass on his last 11 months"?), you're too trusting and too naive. They may be genuine, but I know people personally who got combat pay, jump pay, proficiency pay and decorations they didn't deserve on the strength of bogus records. I qualified low with a .45 pistol, for that matter, but got an Expert medal because the guy keeping score was a friend. We were Spec 4's and buck sergeants, 19 or 20 years old. You think the Commander in Chief can't pull off what we did? The honorable discharge means next to nothing, too. You really had to screw up to get a Bad Conduct or Dishonorable, and no company commander (usually a Captain or Major) is going to write that kind of report on a congressman's son.
None of which affects my vote, by the way. I wouldn't vote for that moron if he had nine Medals of Honor and a bushel of Purple Hearts.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
You "toe" a line, you don't "tow" it

Toe, as in step right up and put your toes on it. Sheesh. I realize this is off topic, but I'm an editor--I can't help it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts