Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out riding my beloved steel Colnago Technos yesterday, and in the middle of a shift (in the middle of the cassette), the right rear dropout decided to self destruct, breaking at the adjustment screw. The worst part is that the dropout is nonreplaceable. Luckily I didn't crash. About 1 week previously I had just turned my bike into 10 spd shimaglo (10 spd centaur shifter, j-tek shiftmate, new chain), and everything was working perfectly.

FWIW I crashed 2.5 weeks ago when my rear wheel washed out in a left turn. I landed on the left side mostly on my hip, but the bike was ok, my skin wasn't. The rear derailleur was pristine as was the dropout, so i doubt that it was damaged in the crash. I thoroughly checked everything out while installing the shimaglo parts.

I also noticed that a tooth from my front chainring was partly sheared off. I'm not sure when that happened.

Anyway, anyone experienced with repairing a frame like this have an approximate cost of repairing this? I'm guessing it is going to be cost prohibitive.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
The repair's difficulty may lie in locating Colnago dropouts.

A framebuilder may know what industry brand is an exact replacement. If not, you may have to replace both dropouts to locate the wheel properly.

Duplicating a Colnago paint job will be the most expensive part of the repair. I'd bet $600 for the paint job alone. A single color, with decals, would be in the $400 range.

Your best bet is to seek out a framebuilder or repair shop like Cyclart. There are many others, just ask.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
There's a possibility that just the area to be repaired could be painted to blend with the rest of the frame. The dropout is relatively isolated, so the heat damage to the paint is only going to be a few inches up the SS and CS on that side.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
If they could replace the dropout I'd personally consider painting it yourself. I wouldn't pay $400 to have someone paint my dropout, I don't care even if the paint didn't look all that great.

I've always questioned why the manufactures don't beef up the rear dropouts so this sort of thing doesn't happen. I've seen so many bikes with artfully done dropouts, but I'd much rather have something that will last since this is a weak point on a frame.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
It's easily repaired, but Colnago might be your only option for having a dropout with COLNAGO cast/engraved in it. Unless there's a builder THEY trust to effect the repair if they provide the dropout to him. As for painting, I had my Serotta repainted years ago for a couple hundred after Yamaguchi replaced a seat stay that had been bent by UPS. I'm looking into a repaint by Spectrum that should be around $300-$500 for a frame and fork.

Quality workmanship and parts doesn't come cheaply.

·
Decrepit Member
1,811 Posts
It's a socketed dropout, easily replaced by a framebuilder. Replacement generic semi-vertical socketed dropouts are available for ~$20, but wouldn't be pantographed with COLNAGO, and both rear dropouts would have to be replaced. Measure the O.D. of the seat stay and the chain stay at the dropout using a caliper to see if these would fit your stays (chain stay 13.7mm, seat stay 12.7mm).

Nova socketed semi-vertical road dropouts

·
Folsom City Blues...
4,127 Posts
wilson said:
Anyone know of anyone in the SF bay area who might do good steel frame repairs for situations like this?
Wilson, If you don't mind driving out to Sacramento, Steve Rex does excellent work. If you don't find someone close in the Bay area, you could send him the photos via his e-mail. And then give him a call before driving out to Sac-town.

I'm positively sure Steve Rex will repair and leave your COLNAGO looking as good as new, paint and all. Just tell'em Tony referred you, Steve just built my steel frame and fork. Good luck with having your Colnago repaired.

Here's a link to Steve's web-site; http://www.rexcycles.com/

Peace :cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rhdahl, thanks for the suggestion of going to Mikkelsen. I drove out to Alemeda yesterday, and Bernie fixed my dropout while I waited (less than 1 hour). Instead of replacing the entire dropout, he simply ground down the rough ends on a belt sander, TIG welded the dropout back together, and realigned everything. Some of the paint got burnt, but it looks like everything is chromed underneath the paint, so I'll probably end up stripping off the paint around the dropout. Total cost $125.

He says he does repairs to broken dropouts like this 2-3 times per week. While there, I found out Bernie is the guy Rivendell recommends for frame repairs.

·
World's 1st Anal-rapist
1,086 Posts
Cool.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The adjustment screw was really unnecessary on this frame. I always ran the dropouts with the screws backed all the way out, since there is minimal tire clearance to the seat tube (5 mm). And it isnt because I run fat tires. I run standard 700c 23mm GP4000s tires. The left dropout does still have its adjustment screw, so that could be used for some partial adjustment.

For protecting the new metal that was welded in from corrosion, i'll probably put some clear nail polish over top. Once the remainder of the paint around the dropout is stripped off, it'll all be shiny chrome and match the rest of the chain and seat stay.

As for paint, thanks for the suggestion, but I think the remainder of the frame's paint is in decent condition for now. Maybe in the future i'll get it repainted by Joe Bell. I've heard from numerous people that he does great work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts