Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for answers to this one...

On the way back from a 30-ish mile ride, I'm literally 20 yards from my driveway when suddenly I'm riding on my rear rim. It went down so fast that I actually sort-of landed on my rear rim. Coasted to a stop, walked to the garage to check what the heck happened...

Turns out that the only issue with the tube is a double snakebite on the inside/valve side of the tube. Huh? I was riding at roughly 8mph at that point on smooth new asphalt, about to hop off. How in the world could I have double-snakebit the inside of my tube?

Whatever...

·
Super Moderator
41,447 Posts
radioflyer said:
Looking for answers to this one...

On the way back from a 30-ish mile ride, I'm literally 20 yards from my driveway when suddenly I'm riding on my rear rim. It went down so fast that I actually sort-of landed on my rear rim. Coasted to a stop, walked to the garage to check what the heck happened...

Turns out that the only issue with the tube is a double snakebite on the inside/valve side of the tube. Huh? I was riding at roughly 8mph at that point on smooth new asphalt, about to hop off. How in the world could I have double-snakebit the inside of my tube?

Whatever...
Sheerest speculation, but you could've weakened the tube earlier, in a snake-bite pattern, that didn't actually blow out until later. Or, you could've lost air pressure from an unrelated problem (e.g., a blown valve stem), so fast that the snake-bite occurred when you "sort-of" landed on the rim.

I'd say the cycling gods were with you, though, as this happened as you were finishing the ride.:)

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
Most of my flats happen 20 miles from home...in a desolate state park... as it starts to downpour... and my phone shorts out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah. I dunno, but I'm extremely thankful that it happened within a 30-second walk to my front door. The last bad flat I had was due to a piece of glass that shredded my tire bad enough that I couldn't even boot it. I had to walk (not kidding) about 1.5 miles in my road shoes to a (closed) seasonal restaurant and started flagging down every truck/SUV I could until someone finally provided me a ride back into town (~40 miles). They dropped me off in front of the LBS where I promptly bought a new tire and tube.

Maybe this one makes up for that day.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
You should definitely be thankful. The last time I had to walk, I ended up walking 4 miles, and I happened to be wearing a pair of shorts with a gel padded chamois. They are definitely not good for walking shorts. My boys felt like they got massaged by a belt sander.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Quote: "How in the world could I have double-snakebit the inside of my tube?"

A snakebite flat is caused when the two-sided rim pinches the tire due to low pressure. Since the rim is on the wheel-side of the tube, it makes sense to me that the holes are there too.

·
Larry Lackapants
698 Posts
Regarding being picked up...

Laste yar about august / september i went on a ride with some light rain starting to drizzle. about 15 km into the ride there was a thunderstorm ongoing and I quickly realized, while ging into the storm, that it won;t be over quickly. On the way back I had to bunny -hop some borken branches fron the roadside trees and then stopped and crouched down near a car because of hail starting to fall down.
As I was waiting for the storm to be over (by now a lot of cars were stopped, only a few were travelling at about 20 km/h) 2 guys with a pickup stopped so I could get in. The bike on the loading platform. Needless to say that , as I got into town and went out of the car, they quickly took off like with wheelspin and all - I just managed to grab my bike by the rear wheel and the seat and lift it so it wouldn't remain caught in the car's platform.
I still believe the free trip almost cost me the bike - and it's not even an expensive one since there's tiagra on it but still - won't trust any ride with strangers, and also won;t go o an ride when it's starting to rain....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.