Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed my rear tire on my gravel bike was soft. Found this nail in there buried to the head. Its about 2 inches long. Tire sealed afterwards so hopefully not an issue. I am amazed that a nail this size worked it way completely into the tire

Coin Nickel Money handling Currency Money

·
Registered
21,787 Posts
Noticed my rear tire on my gravel bike was soft. Found this nail in there buried to the head. Its about 2 inches long. Tire sealed afterwards so hopefully not an issue. I am amazed that a nail this size worked it way completely into the tire
I've had that happen a few times. Amazing how long a nail or screw can be and still figure out how to puncture your tire. You would think that something that long would just lay down on the road and you would roll over it. I've heard the hypothesis cxw proposes over the years, but I don't know how you would prove it. Or disprove it.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had that happen a few times. Amazing how long a nail or screw can be and still figure out how to puncture your tire. You would think that something that long would just lay down on the road and you would roll over it. I've heard the hypothesis cxw proposes over the years, but I don't know how you would prove it. Or disprove it.
I bet you could dump a bunch of those nails on the road, ride over them several times and not get a flat.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ran over it with the front wheel, it flipped up and then stabbed the rear. That's about the only way it can happen.
I’m in complete agreement with this hypothesis. I once ran over a music CD in the road and the same thing happened. CD lifted and the rear wheel hit it. The tire was cleanly cut in two up to the tire bead so at least it stayed on the rim. None of the dreaded hissing sound on this event!! Since I only carry a spare tube and not a tire, the ride was ended.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts