Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say you've been surfing the web. Then you come across RBR. Then you discover the Lounge. And you see some of the posts/pics here. And then you've spewed stuff all over your screen.

What do you use to clean the computer screen?

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
il sogno said:
Say you've been surfing the web. Then you come across RBR. Then you discover the Lounge. And you see some of the posts/pics here. And then you've spewed stuff all over your screen.

What do you use to clean the computer screen?
You're JUST NOW needing this info????
I keep a container of those pop-up computer screen wipes handy at all times when Lounging. :p

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lets_ride said:
You're JUST NOW needing this info????
I keep a container of those pop-up computer screen wipes handy at all times when Lounging. :p
I have a high tolerance for dirty screens. :eek:

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
I used to use windex and a paper towel, and gently wipe the screen (if LCD). I now do the same, but with electronics cleaner. If you've got a CRT monitor, it's time for a new monitor!

·
Registered
485 Posts
I learned the hard way on an old CRT monitor that you don't use rubbing alcohol. It gradually removes the anti-glare coating from the screen. Now I just use water, which is good enough, but requires a little more work to get completely clean and probably leaves some small streaks but they aren't noticeable.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,287 Posts
old_fuji said:
any advice for a LCD?
A soft, damp cotton cloth.

As for Los Angeles, when we lived there a film developed on the screen of my computer. The only thing that eventually cut through it was windex. But ammonia is very, VERY bad for the coatings on most monitors.

Note, this was a CRT, sitting by a window that was open at least slightly for 2 years. So it was sucking up the particles from the wonderful LA air. :)

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
If one were to Google "cleaning computer screen..."

...which I did when we replaced our three (!) old CRTs with 21st century equipment, one would find this recommendation:
Use a mix of 50-50 isopropyl and distilled water, applied gently with a microfiber cleaning cloth or soft cotton, like an old T-shirt. The two sites I checked warned sternly against using paper towels or tissue, which supposedly will scratch.
Consumer Reports mentioned the same thing a month or so ago, adding that you should be careful not to let the liquid run down around the frame. Works for me.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Stick it in the dishwasher, but use woolite instead of cascade.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i use this...

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,269 Posts
Simple...

Ask all the "back in 5" guys!

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
Yes ... just use water. Maybe slightly warm. And I wouldn't use any kind paper wipe to dry it; use it a cloth.

At least that's what I've been told.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
A damp cat.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't have a Pug :) , so have to use this combination. (The Amazon links are for the pictures).

3M Electronic Equipment Cleaner CL600
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Office-ELE...=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1241140885&sr=8-3

Microfiber Electronics Cleaning Cloth
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Microfiber...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1241140944&sr=1-11

They also have these wipes which I haven't tried.

Notebook Screen Cleaning 24 Wipes
http://www.amazon.com/Notebook-Scre...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1241141650&sr=1-1

1 - 19 of 19 Posts