Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if its a daft question but if you don't ask you'll never learn.
Long story short I am wanting to build my first road bike but with a flat bar but I dont think thats the issue. I have Cannondale mountain bikes and was looking at starting with a CAAD5 or CAAD7 frame but have seen comments here that these are not suitable for a novice rider. I know enough to avoid tri-bkes and track bikes and didn't want a cyclo-cross frame as this may end up being too like a mountain bike.
I've seen Fuji bikes reccomended for beginners but these don't appear in the UK. The Synapse will be too much $$$. Since I'll be shopping at a well known auction house its probably best not to get fixated on a single model. I guess there will be something suitable from most of the major manufacturers. Hence my quetion what should I look for in a road bike's geometry to make it a more comfortable heads-up commuter.
Thanks in advance for any guidance.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'm curious about your comment on a cross frame being "too like a mountain bike."

In my mind, my cross bike is more similar to a road bike than a mountain bike. I'd much rather throw a couple of slicks on it than put a suspension fork on and take it out on the mountain.

If you're looking for a comfortable commuter bike, then you should look into touring bikes. They're built with space for fenders, racks, all the good stuff. But if you are looking for a bike that you can comfortably commute on and also ride fairly aggressively, I think you should take another look at cross bikes.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I take your point and I could just stick some slicks on my hardtail but what I want to achieve is a flavour of the experience of a "light" road bike but accepting the limitation that I will need to use a flat bar. I'm used to hydraulic disc brakes what are caliper brakes like? I had in mind something like Cannondale's flat bar Synapse but on a budget. Calling it a commuter was probably wrong, I want something to ride on the road in the sun for a bit of fun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.