Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a Nitto Technomic stem to raise the handlebars on my road bike which I actually use as an urban around town bike. How do I know what length extension to get?

One thing is that with most bikes including this old Peugeot, my butt usually settles in off the back of the seat and I can't get the seat back far enough to where my butt wants to be. Therefore I was thinking a long extension might alleviate that, but I don't really know if that's the answer. Nitto Technomics come in extension lengths from 70mm to 120mm.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
You don't want to use an extension with a Technomic stem. Anything with as much as 120mm of reach will give too much leverage for an extension, and will likely break it. Besides, Technomic stems have a lot of height, so an extension isn't needed, anyways.

·
Super Moderator
41,445 Posts
TomBrooklyn said:
Hi,
What I mean by extension is the length of the horizontal part of the stem. The Technomics come in lengths from 70mm to 120mm for this part of the stem. Maybe I used the wrong term.
I got what you mean, but I think some might call it "reach," while simpletons call it "size." You should get the one that leaves you where you want to be on the bike, keeping in mind that the Technomic will bring your bars up and back. There are folks that dust off their high school trigonometry for calculations like this, but I just eyeball it based on the existing stem, and where I think I want my bars to be. You can play with sticks and modeling clay to get a rough approximation. You do realize that swapping out the stem like you propose might not help your problem with saddle position.

What's on there now?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.