Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it as hard as I can possibly go in the hardest gear? I want to train my fast twitch muscles and explosiveness for sprints.

I tested out what my top speed was after a short ride last week. I maxed out for like 5 seconds at 35.5 mph on flat ground, my legs were pretty tired from earlier but I could have sustained that speed longer but my head was messing with me.

What workouts do you recommend for sprinting? Im pretty new so anything would help. I dont have a cadence/powermeter/HRM so I cant really measure anything other than avg speed and max speed. i use a garmin edge 500 so those attachments I can buy easily if the training calls for it.

·
Make America grope again
4,754 Posts
Might want to move this to the right forum.

Sprinting is acceleration and top speed. You reach neither starting in your top gear.

People usually train for sprints in intervals - say 10 1 minute sprints in a row, with a little rest in between. I think you can find books, etc... That lay out detailed training.

Cadence matters in sprinting. You need to push those pedals at 200 + rpm. It takes practice to do that and ride smooth. You practice at smaller gears and get the feel for it.

Experiment with gears until you find one that you can accelerate quickly, but don't 'spin out of' at top speed. Remember, I'm thinking like a trackie where you can't shift.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.