Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having issuea on occasion with Zwift. Every so often I'll be two hours into a ride and the screen will freeze up, and the laptop becomes unresponsive. The only way around this is to restart the laptop. I contacted Zwift and forwarded the program logs and computerspecs .txt files. They came back and said the problem is that my graphics drivers are out of date, and that downloading the latest version of my chipset should solve the problem.

The thing is ... I have no idea how to do this. I'm not even entirely sure what these graphics drivers are.

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C55-C 64bit OS w/Windows 8.1
Processor is Intel Core i5-5200 CPU @ 2.20GHz
8GB of RAM

I went to Device Manager and found Intel HD Graphics 5500
Driver version 10.18.14.4112

Any ideas?

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/86210/Intel-HD-Graphics-5500

Make sure you uninstall the current graphics driver version before you install the new one. This will reset your screen resolution to its lowest setting, so don't be surprised.

However, I wonder if updating the driver will be the panacea you require. CPU-integrated graphics hardware is notoriously underpowered on any computer. You really need a dedicated GPU to handle anything more than a standard definition video.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
I can't think that zwiffer is that video complex.

When you go to device manager, select your display, rightclick... then update driver. If you want to uninstall first, it is another selection. Probably will take 15 min if your internet is good.

I would make a save point first. Just for if things don't work out so good.

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I'm definitely pondering a good quality gaming computer to run Zwift. Any recommendations?

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Thanks. I'm definitely pondering a good quality gaming computer to run Zwift. Any recommendations?
First see if the driver update does any good. If not, I highly recommend building a computer as it will save you roughly 50% over a prebuilt with the same specs. It's a lot easier than you think because you can't force a component into the wrong slot. The slot types are all unique.

If you don't know what is compatible with what, PC Part Picker is an excellent website. It will automatically exclude parts which can't be placed in your current build, and it shows you the cheapest prices.

https://pcpartpicker.com/

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Is that your general practice, or is there a specific reason for it in this case?
When you don't uninstall the old version you can have leftover pieces which create conflicts with the new version and cause a driver crash. Even with Nvidia's "clean install" option it still doesn't eradicate all of the old driver version, so it's best to do a complete sweep with something like DDU and then install the new version.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,285 Posts
When you don't uninstall the old version you can have leftover pieces which create conflicts with the new version and cause a driver crash. Even with Nvidia's "clean install" option it still doesn't eradicate all of the old driver version, so it's best to do a complete sweep with something like DDU and then install the new version.
So, general practice. I understand the idea behind it.

I just go over the top myself, and if there is a problem then I will do a clean install. Saves aggregate time, though costs a few minutes in VERY rare cases. YMMV.

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I go the Device Manager, click on Display Adapters, click on Intel HD Graphics 5500, then click on the Driver tab and finally Update Driver, something pops up that asks "How do you want to search for new hardware?" The two choices provided are: 'Search automatically for updated driver software' or 'Browse my computer for driver software.' Of course, no new software is on my computer, so I chose 'Search automatically...' which then shows a Windows searching the web for updated driver software ... and I let it search ... for two hours. And it won't let me X out once this is running and I am forced to restart the laptop.

What am I doing wrong?
I can't think that zwiffer is that video complex.

When you go to device manager, select your display, rightclick... then update driver. If you want to uninstall first, it is another selection. Probably will take 15 min if your internet is good.

I would make a save point first. Just for if things don't work out so good.

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. I'll be looking into that.
First see if the driver update does any good. If not, I highly recommend building a computer as it will save you roughly 50% over a prebuilt with the same specs. It's a lot easier than you think because you can't force a component into the wrong slot. The slot types are all unique.

If you don't know what is compatible with what, PC Part Picker is an excellent website. It will automatically exclude parts which can't be placed in your current build, and it shows you the cheapest prices.

https://pcpartpicker.com/

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But how will deleting the old version affect my computer? Will the laptop still be able to function correctly until I download the new version? You would think that updating the software would automatically delete or replace the old version.

I don't understand all this computer stuff.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/86210/Intel-HD-Graphics-5500

Make sure you uninstall the current graphics driver version before you install the new one. This will reset your screen resolution to its lowest setting, so don't be surprised.

However, I wonder if updating the driver will be the panacea you require. CPU-integrated graphics hardware is notoriously underpowered on any computer. You really need a dedicated GPU to handle anything more than a standard definition video.

You no longer have to remove the driver. The Intel install package does that prior to installing the new driver.

To the OP. The issue is not really the driver, if it had been, you would have consistent problems from the get go, not a few hours in.

What is most likely happening is that you are over heating the GPU. This is common in video and graphically intense computations. I'm guessing you probably noticed that the fans in the laptop are probably screaming like a jet engine.

Modern GPU's, even the built in Intel ones are actually pretty decent for basic video and gaming with low to mid settings. They work fine in desktops, but laptops, well you get over heating issues.

As your laptop is old, you will be limited to USB3 external graphics options (they exist, but are buggy, few and far between, and will likely cost more than a new laptop).

There are some options for Intel Thunderbolt/USB type C, most notably one made by alienware, but again, cost will be more than a new laptop that would have a discrete GPU.

My recommendation, get a cheap desktop, and a budget nvidia graphics card.

·
Registered
760 Posts
...I don't understand all this computer stuff.
Uninstalling the video driver will have the graphics card run on a basic universal driver built into Windows.

More info here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15046/windows-8-download-install-drivers

However I doubt its your drivers. Its most likely not enough video memory, or an overheating issue, that is causing the laptop to freeze. You can also try reducing the video settings, within Zwift, to a lower standard.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
When I go the Device Manager, click on Display Adapters, click on Intel HD Graphics 5500, then click on the Driver tab and finally Update Driver, something pops up that asks "How do you want to search for new hardware?" The two choices provided are: 'Search automatically for updated driver software' or 'Browse my computer for driver software.' Of course, no new software is on my computer, so I chose 'Search automatically...' which then shows a Windows searching the web for updated driver software ... and I let it search ... for two hours. And it won't let me X out once this is running and I am forced to restart the laptop.

What am I doing wrong?

You are going the roundabout way of doing it. While SS does present a valid situation, unless you are having problems with installing the new drivers, which come as part of the package with Intels graphics software. When you use the method you are using, you have to know the exact driver files, and these days, the graphics installers come with drivers for dozens, if not hundreds of different variants.

But like I said before, it is likely not a driver problem, rather an over heating issue.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Will the laptop still be able to function correctly until I download the new version?
Yes. Without an installed driver you'll simply be on the lowest resolution, and your desktop will resemble first-generation Nintendo games graphics.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
How old is your laptop?
Find out what graphics card you have and then go to the manuf of the card and get the updated driver.
Or turn your screen resolution down or the video options in swiffer.
Is swiffer a big video stream?

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
How old is your laptop?
Find out what graphics card you have and then go to the manuf of the card and get the updated driver.

I agree that it would help to reduce video quality. How to do this, and how EZ, varies by what Win version you have, and whether there is a separate prorgam that goes with the video driver that gives different video control interface than what windows has.

There are a few ways to reduce video quality in order to reduce the video processing burden on the computer:
reduce refresh rate, reduce number of "colors," and to maybe go into a "safe" mode.

You would have to explore and see what your computer shows as options.

--I agree that the problem is not an "old" driver - this is a bull-hockey excuse that some software people give to get rid of you. As noted, if driver did not work, it would not work; rather than wig out after an hour.

Other options:

pay a modest fee to have a computer repair shop clear out the insides of dust and stuff, and maybe replace a fan or two. They could also improvise a (additional) heat dissipater for your motherboard/controller chip or video chip.

Have a geek friend pull up the task manager and find out what else is running - for example, if an over-eager antivirus is trying to update itself all the time, or iTunes is tracking your location, the computer may be running at high capacity a lot, and getting hot because of that.

use a laptop cooler

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
if the computer is just super slow, and not locked up, you can be patient and pull up the task manager and see what is taking up CPU capacity.

you could also add a program that reads out temp of CPU and other computer parts.

again, you may need a geek friend, or a 12-year-old, but this will be easy stuff for them.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
How old is your laptop?
Zwift (aka swiffer to you) selects the resolution it thinks your video card can handle. After that frame rate degrades. Zwift does require a good quality graphics card to run at higher resolutions.

To the OP
One option that Zwift recommends is the Alienware Alpha. Of course its a matter of how much you want to spend on a dedicated Zwift computer. Another option is one of those gamer build your own sites like Sauron mentioned. Zwift runs just fine with a so so processor like the i3. The real money needs to be on the video card. I think Zwift has a ranking/benchmark of various video cards on their site

1 - 20 of 23 Posts