Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I finally got a pair and before I ride my new crabon bike on it, I tired it out with my MTB SS w/ slicks!

Holding on I have able to get going and spinning nice. As I let go I slowed just a little, then the fornt wheel just slipped to the side and down I went!

Now my back, leg and ego are kinda sore! :(

I kept reading about riding in a doorway? Does this help in tipping over?

I am thinking I should have bought parabolic rollers to keep the wheel just a bit more steady. I think I can hold a line decently, but man I am nervous. That wheel just slide sooo easliy side to side it was nerve racking!

I know I will get better, but 1 min and I go down! I am afraid to damage my new frame on this thing.

Any tips?

Tt was funny though....:p
 

·
NeoRetroGrouch
Joined
·
6,491 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
ok, I finally got a pair and before I ride my new crabon bike on it, I tired it out with my MTB SS w/ slicks!

Holding on I have able to get going and spinning nice. As I let go I slowed just a little, then the fornt wheel just slipped to the side and down I went!

Now my back, leg and ego are kinda sore! :(

I kept reading about riding in a doorway? Does this help in tipping over?

I am thinking I should have bought parabolic rollers to keep the wheel just a bit more steady. I think I can hold a line decently, but man I am nervous. That wheel just slide sooo easliy side to side it was nerve racking!

I know I will get better, but 1 min and I go down! I am afraid to damage my new frame on this thing.

Any tips?

Tt was funny though....:p
Did the front wheel 'slip' or just go off the end of the roller. If it slipped, it shouldn't. Wet? (wet aluminum is like ice) Something else making it slippery?

I find it easiest to ride in a doorway situated so that my elbows hit the door jams. If I go a little sideways, my elbows hit and pushes me back to center.

TF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
When I was first learning how to ride the rollers, I made a deal with myself. I could quit for the evening after I fell for the third time. Yes, it's very easy to fall. If you lose concentration just for a moment (just like on the road), you can fall and hurt yourself.

Keep the rides short at first so you can concentrate. It was mentally exhausting for me to ride them for more than 20 minutes the first few times. Doorways, doorjambs and hallways work well because you can reach out and grab hold of an object on either side if you start to fall.

Don't look at the roller or at your front wheel. Look up, just like when you're riding on the road. You'll quickly get a feel for where you should be on the rollers. After you get good at it, you can easily ride no-handed, grab a drink, tilt your head from side to side or look around you... but I wouldn't try those things for a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
Did the front wheel 'slip' or just go off the end of the roller. If it slipped, it shouldn't. Wet? (wet aluminum is like ice) Something else making it slippery?

I find it easiest to ride in a doorway situated so that my elbows hit the door jams. If I go a little sideways, my elbows hit and pushes me back to center.

TF
I think he just meant that your wheel can very quickly steer from one side to the other, which is true. It's very much like riding on ice at first. The slightest movement of the handlebars and you veer in that direction!
 

·
Old Skool
Joined
·
723 Posts
My two cents

All of the pervious posters offer good advice. Here are a couple more tips:

  1. Put a piece of carpet under your rollers so you will not put skid marks on the floor if you do happen to come off. This helps with at least one source of worry and will definitely keep your SO off your case. I use a large carpet door mat.
  2. Think about balance and being light on your hands. Try to feel youself centered so that you do not need to sway, bob or otherwise move you upper body. Stability on rollers (or the road for that matter) is all about isolating your upper body from your lower body and being relaxed.
  3. When on the road try this drill to improve your ability to ride a straight line. Find a long straight stretch that is has the shoulder marked with a white line. Try to ride with your tires on the line. Because the paint is very smooth, you can hear and feel the difference when you are on it. This provides feedback without the need to look down. A word of caution, the paint is slippery when wet so I do not advise this drill when the road is damp.

Take heart. There are two types of good roller riders: those that fell off a bunch when they first started, and those that lie about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Skid right off to the right!

Man this is scary stuff!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
good advice here already but one more - check that your rollers are on a really solid surface and that rollers do not wobble at all. I thought I was the worlds crappiest rider on rollers before I found out that my Tacx rollers have one leg shorter than the others. Fixed that and now I can ride as long as I can stand the boredom of riding rollers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
uh, you want to make sure your rollers are set up correctly - you want the front drum just behind the front hub - like 1" or so. Other than that, pedal in circles - or concentrate on pulling up.

Don't know if I crashed when learning to ride them (a mere 15 yrs ago) - rolled off a few times when not paying attention (or watching a movie) but as far as splayed out on the floor - don't think so. When you ride off of them, you have a half second where you can unclip and 'save' a fall.
 

·
NeoRetroGrouch
Joined
·
6,491 Posts
The Carlster said:
uh, you want to make sure your rollers are set up correctly - you want the front drum just behind the front hub - like 1" or so. Other than that, pedal in circles - or concentrate on pulling up.

Don't know if I crashed when learning to ride them (a mere 15 yrs ago) - rolled off a few times when not paying attention (or watching a movie) but as far as splayed out on the floor - don't think so. When you ride off of them, you have a half second where you can unclip and 'save' a fall.
"...you want the front drum just behind the front hub - like 1" or so."

Are you trying to kill him? Hub behind the drum. My Minoura says 10-15mm. - TF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought the minoura say hub over the roller with the front 10-15mm in front of the wheel.

This is what I bought. With my bike it can only go 1 more spot foward.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great..Thanks!

:rolleyes:. Just kidding.

What I meant was the tire basically slid out sideways like if you slightly leaned if you were riding on an ice rink!

Well, I just orderd some Elite parabolic rollers to help out and keep me centered. Falling like I did gave me the willys and I don't want to damage the new frame.

Funny but I think I can hold a really good line due to my MTB skills and I have excellent balance, but this rolloer thing is a whole nother story.

It felt like I was trying to commit suicide :eek:.

I will try the doorway trick and maybe the roadie might be easier than the SS MTB. I wonder if the 2.35 slicks were just too big??
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,886 Posts
Non, non, non!

Parabolic rollers are junk. Well, okay they're not, but the handling benefits of riding rollers all go down the toilet.

First few times are always pretty freaky.

Last weekend I got back from a ride that was the return of winter -- temps in the 40's, driving wind and rain. To warm down, I pulled out the rollers (after giving the wheels a quick dry with a rag.)

As I dried off, I rolled no-handed, removed my vest, jersey, arm warmers, etc, drank some water, towelled off a bit, chatted with teammates.

If I from a year ago saw me-now doing that, I wouldn't believe it.

Just keep doin' it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
try setting up the rollers parallel with a wall - also lining yourself up with something in front of you that you can see as if you were riding naturally on the road will help keep you centered. looking down at the front hub is a bad habit i had when i first started rollers back in the 80's. riding rollers when you're tense is a recipe for a spill in the beginning - if your shoulders and arms are tense that will lead to alot of oversteer on the roller - fwiw i never do rollers right after coming home from work...
 

·
Unrepentant Mountainbiker
Joined
·
624 Posts
I will third the point about getting the rollers set up properly for your bike. When I got on my brand new rollers earlier this year, I didn't take the time to get the front drum the recomended 10-15mm in front of the front hub. It was like riding on ice. I felt very out of control the whole time. After making the adjustment, every thing was much more stable and in no time I was able to take a hand off the bars to reach for a water bottle.

I use the back of a chair to stabilize myself when getting started. You basically need to get the wheels turnig and pointed in the right direction before letting go. Trying to start on rollers w/out holding on to something is a bit beyond my skill at this time. Also, NEVER stand while riding rollers. There are some folks that can, but we mere mortal mtn bikers may not be ready for that!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank everyone...

I will give it one more try before I go to parabolic rollers.

Also There is only one more spot to go foward of the wheel on the Minoura rollers. I hope that helps.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top