Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A cycling buddy and I were curious as to where we compare with other cyclists. We live in a small town in Northwestern Ontario and road bikes are few and far between.

Yesterday we cycled 60 kms at an average speed of 32 kms. The route itself has some challenging hills but nothing monstrous.

We're thinking of taking a trip to a neighboring town to cycle with their cycling club, but we're wondering if we're going to be able to keep up with the average rec rider or are they just going to kick our ass?

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
No way to tell without giving it a shot. Worst thing that happens is you get dropped. Keep in mind that whatever speed 2 guys can sustain on a long ride, the same two guys can go substantially faster hanging in the back of a larger group (as long as you know how to draft safely in a group.)

You can usually go a little harder than you thought you could, if you're motivated.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
As JC said, there is no way to compare. Take them out for a spin. It is not like they are going to point and laugh IF you get dropped. Make some new friends. Otherwise, you can always compare the size of your feet. Mine is 13 EEEE what about you?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
at 32 kilometers per second, you sir are A GOD.

seriously... it's a descent clip, just go ride with them. Be sure to not take too many pulls as the pace will most likely increase as the ride moves along. Conserve energy and hang as long as you can.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies guys...

I'm actually excited about riding with others.

jupiterrn, I have size 12 feet. Not exactly sure the width, but I keep the wife happy ;)

fleck, if I was doing 32 k per second you'd be watching me on OLN right now. lol

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
mikedup said:
fleck, if I was doing 32 k per second you'd be watching me on OLN right now. lol
actualy i'd be watching you on the discovery channel as you'd be well on your way to the moon... :p
just poking a little fun at the "kms" where it should just read 'k' as i'm sure the 's' was to be plural. Now i guess proper nomenclature would be kps...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.