Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i seen so much stuff down here in ga its like they hate me becaue im on a bike they yell bad things some come over like they are going to hit me
 

·
Formosan Cyclocross
Joined
·
3,378 Posts
I swear a lot. The c**t word has lost all its power and I am searching for another one. If I swear and talk a little sh** under my breath, I get the feeling that I did something... anything.

Now I did have a guy try to swerve into me three times and that went to the police. He wanted me under his car or in a ditch. Grrrrrr!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts


You live in the south. Strap one of these to your back.



Or, just blow them off and stay in your zen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
I signal that I think they're "Number One". I know it's childish, but it just makes me feel better.

I had one guy pull up and pace me in a big ol' Ford Expedition, roll down his window and started yelling at me. For some reason it just struck me as really funny and I started laughing. Really freaked the guy out and he pulled away pretty quickly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
I tend to ignore them. 6000lbs of car vs oh say 250lbs of me and bike just doesn't figure in my favor. Besides you just never know what your dealing with. Having said that I have to be honest and say that I run into very few idiots here in Md, at least were I ride.

Ekh.
 

·
Deliciously Ironic
Joined
·
1,006 Posts
that's pretty funny!

Only once did I come up with a really good spur of the moment response. Driver gave me the usual attitude, to which I just smiled and said

"God Loves You".

That totally shut them up.
 

·
Steaming piles of opinion
Joined
·
10,503 Posts
Rollo Tommassi said:
Only once did I come up with a really good spur of the moment response. Driver gave me the usual attitude, to which I just smiled and said

"God Loves You".

That totally shut them up.
Gimme that, and I'll back up to run you over. :D

Srsly, it or other high-road choices are about the best choice. Best case, they're running late, distracted, impatient- and giving their brains a soft reset might yield a benefit now and in the future. Worst case, they're essentially schoolyard bullies. There's no better way to disarm them than to refuse to play the game.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,597 Posts
danl1 said:
they're essentially schoolyard bullies. There's no better way to disarm them than to refuse to play the game.

Absolutely correct. I just ignore it. They just don't understand and that makes me happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
Depends a friendly "Barbie Wave" always gets their goat or the "Bird" and then there is always taking both hands off the Handlebars and giving them the "Va Fungu" Sign
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,068 Posts
I first try and ignore the motorist. If that does not work and the motorist want to get personal and I cant ride away, I have pepper spray for back-up (when I am commuting). Don't expect the cops to ever help you because they usually side with the motorist.

If you are going to get hit, make sure you inflict maximum damage on the car. After getting harassed by a motorist pacing me, he stopped short at a stop light and opened the door on me. I hit it, but not the ground. The door never shut after that. I rode off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,749 Posts
No harm-no foul...it's usually some idiot just trying to get the best of you. Ignore them. If they hit me then it's a different story...if I got torqued each time I was almost hit I'd probably end up getting a stoke..this was not the case years ago, I got tired of looking over my shoulder to see if they would come back and finish me off...which does happen occasionally..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,250 Posts
danl1 said:
Worst case, they're essentially schoolyard bullies. There's no better way to disarm them than to refuse to play the game.

This is a exactly what it is most of the time. Because people feel safe in their cars when facing down a cyclists they feel they can do anything.

Face to face every single time standing out on the street man to man they will back down and get back in their car.

Most of these people are fat and out of shape and wouldn't last more than 10 seconds with an in shape rider.

The only problem is fighting in your cycling shoes. It makes for some funky foot work.
 

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
Joined
·
9,402 Posts
About 20 years ago long before starting the road bike thing I was crusing the main drag with a friend. You know being cool.:) Well I made a smart A$$ remark to a cyclist and drove off. Two miles later the guy cought up with us. Here I am sitting in the drivers seat, four cars back from the light, three lanes wide, jackassin around with my buddy's. The cyclist pulls up in the drivers window and out of nowhere coldcoks my little punk A$$. He casually rode through traffic and vanished. So I was told anyway, I couldnt see straight.

Lesson learned? Dont piss off anyone. You never know.
 

·
Loves to Suffer
Joined
·
998 Posts
Mostly women seem to be yelling rude stuff lately. I yell back "Do you like Bukakke??!!!" I am sure one day I will be in a fight on the side of the road. Whoever is stupid enough to step out had better be ready for a raving lunatic swinging a steel bike like a Louisville Slugger.
 

·
Hold your line!
Joined
·
177 Posts
A from Il said:
About 20 years ago long before starting the road bike thing I was crusing the main drag with a friend. You know being cool.:) Well I made a smart A$$ remark to a cyclist and drove off. Two miles later the guy cought up with us. Here I am sitting in the drivers seat, four cars back from the light, three lanes wide, jackassin around with my buddy's. The cyclist pulls up in the drivers window and out of nowhere coldcoks my little punk A$$. He casually rode through traffic and vanished. So I was told anyway, I couldnt see straight.

Lesson learned? Don't piss off anyone. You never know.

Yep, and these days somebody's likely to pull out a gun (in this part of the country anyway....lots of r'necks). You never know who you're dealing with.....so just leave it alone. Don't play the game.

My dad (in his 70's) used to be one of those people because he said "GD bikes shouldn't be on the road!". He acted like moving over to pass a cyclist somehow cost him money or something. It actually made him angry that a cyclist was using the road. Well, I was in the car with him one day when he buzzed a cyclist within a few inches and I laid into him. I reminded him that I AM one of those guys and that the cyclist is somebody's son/daughter, maybe somebody's father/mother or brother, etc. I asked if he was willing to go to a funeral and explain to a child that their father was dead because he (my father) wouldn't move over a few more feet just because he was stubborn. I begged him to not ever do it again and he promised he wouldn't. He said he'd never thought of it that way......he got the point and apologized. This was the first and only time I've ever talked to my father this way and it still shakes me a bit......but he gets it now, so it was worth it.

Anyway, I think most drivers view cyclists the same way....it just pisses them off that we inconvenience them. Best way to handle it is just to wave and smile at them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,106 Posts
rabidfox said:
i seen so much stuff down here in ga its like they hate me becaue im on a bike they yell bad things some come over like they are going to hit me
You deal with it the same way you would were you a little weakling and the school bully wanted to beat you up. That is, you run away, wimp out, do whatever to avoid being beaten to a pulp because you really have no chance against him/her. But, if you can't avoid a real confrontation, you call for your mommy or the teacher -- in other words, call 911 on your cellphone.
 

·
Steaming piles of opinion
Joined
·
10,503 Posts
heathb said:
This is a exactly what it is most of the time. Because people feel safe in their cars when facing down a cyclists they feel they can do anything.

Face to face every single time standing out on the street man to man they will back down and get back in their car.

Most of these people are fat and out of shape and wouldn't last more than 10 seconds with an in shape rider.

The only problem is fighting in your cycling shoes. It makes for some funky foot work.
And in their cars, they can do pretty much anything relative to you. Plus, cars have plenty of room to carry knives, guns, tools, pipes, buddies... This is simply no place for confrontation. Even if you are completely in the right and it's somebody's grandmother that cut you off, there's simply nothing good that can come of it.

Mano a mono postuning simply shows the rider to have the exact same problem as the idiot in the car. Anyone who yells at or gestures to cars in a group I'm leading rides home alone.
 

·
Loves to Suffer
Joined
·
998 Posts
danl1 said:
Mano a mono postuning simply shows the rider to have the exact same problem as the idiot in the car. Anyone who yells at or gestures to cars in a group I'm leading rides home alone.
On rides that I lead the non-jesturing pussies ride home alone.:eek: :D
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top