Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how you guys do it! I have a 61cm Cervelo RS, full Red except brake calipers (Dura ACE), FSA Energy bars (125g), 3T TEAM ARX stem (125g), Syntace post, Specialized Toupe Gel Saddle, Reynolds Assault Wheels. The only thing I plan on changing out are my Quattrol SL's (315g) for Look Carbon (230g). After that, the bike is still going to be +16lbs...doesn't bother me, but just don't know how you all get down to below 15lbs. The only thing I could think of would be to get some uber light wheels and maybe that would get it down to ~15-15.5lbs. Super light wheels would not be good for me...+200lbs and where I ride is not very smooth. Changing out existing components would only save maybe 50-75 more grams total and would risk durability for weight savings...
 

·
Cpark
Joined
·
2,062 Posts
Simple.

Brakes - maybe zero gravity - 100 grams (?)
Zipp Crankset - 100 grams
Thomson Master Light post - 50 grams +
SLR saddle - 70 to 90 grams
Custom wheelset with Tune hubset/Niobium rim/CX-Ray spokes - 100 to 200 grams +
Conti Supersonic tubes 50 grams each - savings of anywhere from 20 to 50 grams per wheel - 40 to 100 grams.
Fizik tape - save 20 grams?

Cut out any lengthy cable housing - save 20 to 50 grams ?


Total savings about 1 to 1.5 lb

Question is do you have the $ or desire to do it......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...

cpark said:
Simple.

Brakes - maybe zero gravity - 100 grams (?)
Zipp Crankset - 100 grams
Thomson Master Light post - 50 grams +
SLR saddle - 70 to 90 grams
Custom wheelset with Tune hubset/Niobium rim/CX-Ray spokes - 100 to 200 grams +
Conti Supersonic tubes 50 grams each - savings of anywhere from 20 to 50 grams per wheel - 40 to 100 grams.
Fizik tape - save 20 grams?

Cut out any lengthy cable housing - save 20 to 50 grams ?


Total savings about 1 to 1.5 lb

Already have Fizik Tape, don't want to change saddle, light weight tubes flat too often...
P6 Post = 223 gram vs Thomson = 193g = 30 grams and lose carbon absorbing quality
Red crankset = 760gram vs. ZIpp Vuma = 570g = 190g ($1000 for cranks...wow)
Dura Ace brakes = 314g vs. Zero gravity = 150g = 150g savings ($430)
Cables..already cut so short can't pull stem off steerer without taking bars off stem
So it looks like without changing wheels, I am looking at about $1600 for 350g...not bad, but not worth it in my opinion.

Thanks!!!!
 

·
Cpark
Joined
·
2,062 Posts
I'm with you.
It costs way too much to just save a few grams.
One thing I didn't bring up was maybe a set custome wheels built with Lew clinchers.
That can drop significant weight but it also cost signinificant amount of $.
Your Cervelo is pretty darn light though...how about some pix?:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok....

cpark said:
I'm with you.
It costs way too much to just save a few grams.
One thing I didn't bring up was maybe a set custome wheels built with Lew clinchers.
That can drop significant weight but it also cost signinificant amount of $.
Your Cervelo is pretty darn light though...how about some pix?:D
For some reason I never like the way it looks in pics, but I love the way it looks in person and love riding it....went to get some Sidi Genius 5 and Keo Carbons but LBS didn't have my size or the latest model of Keo Carbons...just going to order on-line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At 6'4" I like to have extra post in frame....I have a 400mm Syntace P6 post...Masterpiece only comes in 330mm...only leaves me a little fat below minimum insert line in frame. I will trade 30grams for added safety factor....
 

·
Resident Curmudgeon
Joined
·
11,981 Posts
How do you all get down to 13, 14, 15lbs??

I didn't.
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,565 Posts
Why would you want to?
Do you feel that an ultra-lightweight bike will make you faster?
Do you feel like it will help you climb like a 150 pound Cat 2?
At 200 pounds, you won't be able to tell the difference between a 20 pound bike and a 15 pound bike, while riding (except in your head)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,304 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
At 200 pounds, you won't be able to tell the difference between a 20 pound bike and a 15 pound bike, while riding (except in your head)
Oh, he'll be able to tell once he swap those Dura Ace brakes for the ZGs. 200lbs, steep downhill with a stop sign at the bottom and 60mph cross traffic.... Yeah, he'll be able to tell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
How I will drop weight on a bike

This is what I will always do it when I want to decrease the total weight of my bike or when I want to build an ultra-light bike. I will follow this rule: "Start from the biggest part and then down to the smallest parts"
I will start from: the frame -> Wheelset -> Fork -> etc etc etc -> and lastly, bolts for the water bottle cages -> bar tape etc.

For someone your height and weight, and also considering your bike size, I will say that 15.5 to 16lbs is already pretty light. The Cervelo RS is a very good frame, and if it is not flexing on you and you like the ride & handling qualities, I see no reason why you want to change parts just to only make it a little lighter.

Yes, you can make it lighter, but it will cost you more, is it worth it? Also not everything light is good. You might also want to consider on durability as well as safety.

If I were you, I would change on things that really matters. Example: I would change to a stiffer shoes, lighter tires, more comfortable handle bars, a light, comfortable and very well ventilated helmet etc....

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Escorted from the White House
Joined
·
37,593 Posts
android said:
Oh, he'll be able to tell once he swap those Dura Ace brakes for the ZGs. 200lbs, steep downhill with a stop sign at the bottom and 60mph cross traffic.... Yeah, he'll be able to tell.
ROFLMAO! :biggrin5:

Oh gawd. I shouldn't laugh at that.

...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
14 years ago I built up the bike I currently ride and it weighed in at 16.8 lbs. Titanium B.B. axle, titanium pedal spindles, friction downtube shifters, a wimpy Sampson Crankset. I hated it. I thought the frame was at fault, then I rebuilt it with an all Campy Chorus group. The weight jumped to 18lbs but the bike was infinitely more enjoyable to ride. If someone dumped a 12lb wonder bike in my lap I'd love to ride one. But for now I'll continue to enjoy my 18 lb "pig".
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,565 Posts
"Start from the biggest part and then down to the smallest parts"

One of the biggest parts is usually the person's gut. Next comes his ass. Finally, comes the bike.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top