Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as the title suggests...had one stolen from the bike room of an apartment building in NYC this spring, and just got down to the bike room in my apartment building in nice little Alexandria, VA to find a severed lock and no bike.

For those who have had their bikes stolen, how do you bounce back? How do trust yourself and trust others to own something you put so much sentimental value on? I'm relatively new to road riding, but have gotten so many hours of joy out of it. On the flip side of that, I really think there is some higher power that just doesn't want me to have a bike...I mean what crappy luck!!! I think of all the time and obviously money that went into the computer, the clip-less pedals, the sizing, all the candy...

On the practical side of things, I've called the police and they said they are calling me tomorrow to take a report. I did not register the bike with po-po when I bought it. Another possibility is renter's insurance, although I'm not banking on that as the bike was stolen from the bike room, not from the apartment itself.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ah, sucks, sorry to hear that. I don't think I've ever bounced back after having my mid-range MTB stolen a while ago. I am simply a lot more cautious about leaving any of my bikes anywhere in a public place (even semi-public places like apartment lock-ups) because of the horrible experience.

I was pretty naive and blasé about securing my bike before I had it stolen and I guess I learned by experience. Now I never leave my road bike anywhere and my MTB only gets secured with expensive locks in well-lit areas where there are lots of people around.

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
Your bike is out of your sight and/or control and you're surprised it gets stolen? :eek: My bikes are either under my arse or in my basement. Nowhere else. If they were ever anywhere else I would assume they wouldn't be there next time I looked.

Why can't you keep it in your apartment? (which is what you live in, I assume)

·
Descender
1,940 Posts
OP is talking NYC - could be a 4th story walkup or something.

OTOH - what MikeT says - keep under your control at all times.

If the extra security measures aren't feasable then you may want to reasses having a bike where you live.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
My philosophy is to not get emotionally attached to material objects. How do you bounce back? Get another bike.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
Mike T. said:
Why can't you keep it in your apartment? (which is what you live in, I assume)
in my case that requires both wheels off. Fine for the racing bike(s), the commuter is on the street.

·
What the what???
12,683 Posts
I have to say that after I had one bike stolen from a bike room, I wouldn't trust one again. Get a new bike and schlep it up the stairs.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'm on the 4th floor of my apt building and I carry all 3 of my bikes up the stairs. I refuse to leave them locked outside unless it's daytime and it's outside my work. My CAAD-9 is never locked up.
I've lived in Toronto for almost 30 years. No joke, my first 6 bikes were stolen. I was fed up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ouch, I'm sorry for your loss! Though I've never actually gotten a bike stolen from me, I agree with the above posters. Get a new bike, and don't leave it in such a public space. Personally, I wouldn't leave it in a bike storage room even if I lived in a 200 sqft studio. Find a place for it SOMEWHERE.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
We currently live in a townhouse and there are a couple of people in the neighborhood who have their bikes locked to the pole outside of their townhomes. We have two bikes that we need to put on craigs list that are in a storage shed and 5 bikes in the livingroom of the townhouse. Heck over the weekend we bought hubby a bike (actually from craig's list) and since we spent the night at a hotel so we go to to the storage unit where we used to live we brought the bike into the hotel room instead of leaving it locked on the bike rack on the back of the truck.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I've had two bikes stolen so I can empathize.

I don't live in a big city so I don't understand the concept of a 'bike room'. I can understand it may not be as secure as in your apartment, but is it mandatory to use the bike room? Is storing a bike in your apartment not permitted by your lease?

I live in a second floor apartment building and my 3 bikes share my 600 sq.ft. with me. If you can at all swing it, store the bike in your apartment. Your renter's insurance MAY cover your bike; my second bike was stolen from some place other than my apartment and it WAS covered by my insurance. Your insurance company may be able to provide a special rider policy specifically covering your bikes. Of course, make multiple claims of stolen bikes and you'll likely have your policy cancelled.

I agree with how do you trust people after something like this-the more money you have, the less you value your bike because it's not as difficult to replace. In fact, my last bike was stolen while I was editor of my bike club's newsletter. I wrote an article on the loss and said, "I have no emotional attachment to my bike; I won't miss it much." My buddy remembers that line because he said all he could imagine were the words being spoken by The Terminator (aka Arnold Schwarzenegger).

Time heals all wounds.

·
Meow!
1,449 Posts
I would assume your insurance will cover any of your possessions that are either in your apartment or in an area your landlord allows you to use as storage. If it doesn't, then ask your agent about getting a rider to cover the bike storage area--although I agree with the others that have suggested you start storing your bike in your apartment.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My bike lives with me, in my apartment. I took some grief from a previous landlord over the issue, but I explained how how much its worth and that the public bike room simply wasn't an option. Of course I store the bike on a rubber mat and don't service it indoors.

If you don't want to go through the pain of another theft then this is your only option.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I hang my bike on a hook at the foot of my bed. There's no way it's ever out of my sight. A bike that's locked up in public space risks getting kicked, dented, scratched or stolen... so why even risk any of those things happening?

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
My building doesn't have a bike room. Neither did my last one. At the last address, I kept my hybrid in my basement storage room. It was stolen from there.

Here, I keep all my bikes in my apartment. Third floor, walk-up.

Three of the four are shown in this pic.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Carry them up to your room. I do the same, fine now but when I get my Felt MP cruiser, I am going to add some upper body strength to heave that beast up the stairs.

I mean at your apartment's bike room whoever is going to want your bike would be able to figure out your routine and figure out when the bike will be there and no one else will.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have had 2 bikes stolen and believe it or not recovered, both by local shops that knew me and what bikes they were. All bikes live in the house or garage and are locked up in the garage. When on the car, they are locked to the rack, and locked to each other, and locked up some more. I probably have more money in bike locks, than some have bikes alone.

As for bouncing back, buy a new one with the insurance money.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts