Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Halfway decent bike (ie: anything better than walmart special or beat-up duct taped junker that you won't cry when you find it missing one day) = inside your apartment, locked in your personal garage, or in your line of sight. Period.

I keep 3 bikes in a single bedroom. No, not a single bedroom apartment, a single bedroom. And in the past I've walked them up and down flights of stairs as well.

If you don't want to walk out and find it missing you do what you have to do.

·
Unsafe at Any Speed
456 Posts
Sorry to hear about that ...

My 'better' commuter bike was grabbed literally 20ft behind me, as I was helping my kid and his bike into somebody's home for a party. I had left it unattended for maybe 30 seconds.

Sadder but wiser, I at last realized that even leaving a bike unattended / unsecured 'just for a second ' is inviting theft.

It is kind of unfair - just after that, someone else left his SUV's engine running, door open, kids in the back, while stepping 50 feet away to converse. I ask you!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I've only had one bike stolen when I was 12, a redline bmx tricked out and fast. To this day I remember like it was yesterday. I'm 36 now.

·
Bike Wing Conspiracy
810 Posts
That sucks big time.

My first thought would be that after one theft from the bike room, there aint no way I am leaving my bike in another one.

I have fought building management in more than one job to be able to take my bike into the building. Mostly I leave a krypto chain and lock on the bike rack out front so I dont have to carry that thing with me.

If these were stolen out of your apartment bike rooms, I would be livid.

What about renters or homeowners insurance. I am sure they would be on the hook for some part of this. Make a stink with building management about the theft.

Going forward, dont ever trust a bike room again.

I have had one bike stolen from me in the past. I got it back a year later when one of my bike messenger cronies told me they spotted it in a parking garage downtown. I waited by the bike and confronted the guy and he gave it up.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
I kept 4 bikes in a 600 square foot apartment and it wasn't a big deal. I didn't ask permission, I just did it. It's not like you're storing a motorcycle in there or something.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
How you "bounce back" is to stop investing random events with cosmic significance.
I really think there is some higher power that just doesn't want me to have a bike
You really think that? That's paranoia. Some bikes got stolen. Sh*t happens. If you want to keep riding bikes, get another one, and try to take better precautions to prevent theft, while realizing there are no guarantees int his universe, and your bike might get stolen (or wrecked in an accident, etc.) despite your best efforts.

Don't turn the loss of a material possession into an unnecessary psychological and existential crisis. Try to keep some perspective.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Sorry to read that your bicycle was stolen.

Get better locks, keep them in your apartment, don't trust the bike room.

As for bouncing back -- I caught the greasy SOB who had stolen my bike riding it a few days later. I told him quite directly that I was going to smash his face in with my u-lock if he didn't get off of it immediately. (I was riding another bike around). Though he was considerably bigger than me, he thought it was in his best interest to give it back.

Good luck finding yours or at least getting insurance money for it.

Try to keep them in sight in the future.

·
I love to climb!
2,038 Posts
Jawchops said:
For those who have had their bikes stolen, how do you bounce back? How do trust yourself and trust others to own something you put so much sentimental value on? I'm relatively new to road riding, but have gotten so many hours of joy out of it. On the flip side of that, I really think there is some higher power that just doesn't want me to have a bike.
I haven't had a bike stolen, thankfully, but I have had two computers stolen. To bounce back, you just can't let it get you down. Get another bike and ride! It sucks there are scumbags out there who take your hard-earned stuff, but you can't let them get you down. File the police report, and stop in all the local bike shops and pawn shops and give them a description and the serial number. You may get lucky; we have recovered stolen bikes on several occasions at our shop. Peruse Craigslist and eBay, you may see it show up. Oh, and it isn't the higher power who doesn't want you to have a bike, it's the scumbag who doesn't want to work for it that takes it away.

Another possibility is renter's insurance, although I'm not banking on that as the bike was stolen from the bike room, not from the apartment itself.
Renter's insurance would still cover it, minus the deductible. I had a laptop stolen out of my friend's car when I was younger, and my parent's homeowner's insurance still covered it. Personally, though, I would only claim it if you absolutely can't afford to replace it. One claim probably won't change your rates, but if you end up having to make another claim fairly soon, you may see an increase in rates (my renter's policy shows a discount for having remained claim-free).

Good luck, and I hope you get the bike back.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Sorry for your loss.

A buddy of mine had his Gary Fisher stolen out of a bike room in Arlington as well. I would treat Arlington as I would treat NYC. Biggest strongest chain I can get my hands on and a U lock or two securing the wheels. It still may not stop them, but they sure as heck would pick easier prey first. Arlington is part of a major metro area, I would not take it lightly.

And renters insurance should have covered both bikes assuming you had it at the time of both thefts.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I would deal with it through violence.

OK, seriously, that's pretty disheartning. I've only had 1 bike stolen - a BMX when I was in college. But I didn't really care that much at the time (I was warped). If my primary bike were stolen now, I'd be a bit crushed.

Keeping your bike/s in your sight at all times is of course ridiculous and unrealistic. But keeping them in your apt may work better. And/or perhaps a high quality set of locks and a better locking methodology? Dunno...too bad they don't make bike alarms. Hmmm, excuse me, I need to run to my drawing board!

·
Registered
10 Posts
people that steal bikes suck, there should be like old time horse thief laws for that.
steal a bike necktie party or the like j/k
man, when I was a kid I had 3 bikes stolen, one time they actually broke into the house to steal my schwinn fastback. effin bastages. I was devastated. but I got over it eventually
I still remember that bike to this very day, I only had the thing for maybe 3 weeks.
The police are mostly useless, what we need is a better deterrent, I vote for corporal punishment, maybe public canings.

And then last august the scumbags stole my daughters bike right out of my back yard.
I was so mad because I had just taken it out of the garage to tune it up for her, lubed the chain, pumped up the tires, adjusted the brakes... I'm tellin you if I ever caught the loser who would steal a little girls bike, ( she was 12 when I bought it ) they wouldn't be to happy about it.
So yes, I feel your pain.

I hope you get lucky and catch the sum'*****.

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
I live on the 4th floor and at 10,000ft. I carry all my real bikes up including my 37lb DH bike. I lock my townie in the garage for quick access, but it's a couple hundred dollar townie.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I still remember in the 1960's I had a red Schwinn Varsity that cost me $62 new and I loved it. I used to clean the chrome wheels with an sos pad in the kitchen sink, it was always pristine. One day I was looking for it in the garage and it wasn't there so I asked my brother and he said, "someone took it" and I said from here? he said he rode it to play baseball and when he came back it was gone. I called him a dumb #%[email protected] My parents homeowners insurance got me $60 for it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Figure out insurance, get a new bike, keep the bike in your dwelling. Write down and save the serial number.

So, be alert. Don’t talk about your bike or where you keep it to anyone.

If your are extra worried. Remove a seat or wheel while you store it.

If you are pissed. Buy a junker. Make it look appealing. Sabotage it somehow...Let them steal that from your bike room as bit of retribution.

Anyone else in your/nearby dwelling having a bike theft problem? Sounds like thieves have a “honey pot” place to grab stuff. Complain in a nice way to apartment management or law enforcement or both about theft in your dwelling. Camera in the storage area? Complaining and filing reports may not do much but you can feel better.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
How to bounce back from two thefts in a year?

That's a tough one. I typically need to steal and fence about 10 bikes a year to pay for my lavish lifestyle. I would probably bounce back by scouting campsites in the Moab area, be real sneaky at night while the owners are tucked away in their Sprinter vans, and make an absolute killing when I sold them to my guy in SLC.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts