Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of K SSCs. I guess the previous owner took them to a bike shop where the dude injected some thick oil in the freewheel, so that now it doesn't freewheel much. Not a big deal, probably doesn't affect the performance, but I would like to clean the freewheel. What should I clean, what solvent or other stuff should I use ? How to relube or regrease the thing afterwards ?

Pierre

·
Get me to In&Out
5,419 Posts
If you do a search on this website for the Mavic dealer password, you can find instructions for disassembling the rear hub. Once you take it apart, you will see you can just clean the pawls and springs and reassemble the rear hub with some light oil. You don't want to use heavy oil as it can cause the pawls to not engage the freehub body. There really aren't too many moving parts in the freehub itself. Maybe six, seven if you include the outborad bearing that is a sealed cartridge.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
Do your work over a box, the tiny springs are a pain to find on the floor and insanely expensive to replace.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Mavic instructions

Pierre said:
I have a set of K SSCs. I guess the previous owner took them to a bike shop where the dude injected some thick oil in the freewheel, so that now it doesn't freewheel much. Not a big deal, probably doesn't affect the performance, but I would like to clean the freewheel. What should I clean, what solvent or other stuff should I use ? How to relube or regrease the thing afterwards ?

Pierre
Does the Ksyrium SSC use the FTS-L freehub? If it does, the instructions can be found on the Mavic web page here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.