Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Tourist
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some heavy-duty glue-like gunk on the titanium part of a Seven Odonata. How do I clean this ?? Usually I clean that kind of crap with acetone, but acetone has no action on the mofo... what else could work ??

· Does it matter?
760 Posts
Tar/ Tree sap remover

Pierre said:
well, acetone is already a much more powerful solvent than either of these, and acetone doesn't do anything. Actually I tried WD40 first.
Sometimes a simple solvent is not enough.

I was thinking you should try some tar / tree sap remover. Once I got some road tar (rode over a freshly paved road) on my Ti frame. I used some automotive product for tar/tree sap remover I had. I don't recall the name, but I got it at an autoparts store and it is designed for automotive finishes. Just an idea for you, and I suggest you read, understand, and follow all directions on the label (as Norm Abrams always says :) )

· Say "nuke-u-lar"
453 Posts
I was just trying to come up with a variety of solvents, sometimes you just need to find the right one for whatever it is that's stuck to your frame. One might be strong stuff for some materials and not others. Another thought, can you freeze it and scrape it off? Freeze it with like a CO2 discharge from an inflator perhaps.

· Registered
1,085 Posts
What is "heavy-duty glue-like gunk"? In the meantime, I'm going to go with scotchbrite, provided your frame has a brushed finish. Just go around the tube, not with it, and be gentle. If it's not doing anything, try a razor blade.

· Registered
21,867 Posts
Use Gunk

Pierre said:
I have some heavy-duty glue-like gunk on the titanium part of a Seven Odonata. How do I clean this ?? Usually I clean that kind of crap with acetone, but acetone has no action on the mofo... what else could work ??
In the US, there is a commonly sold product called Gunk, sold in automotive supply stores and hardware stores, which is a good solvent. I'm sure if you go to your local hardware or car supply, they can show you a wide range of solvents, ranging from alcohols, aromatics, aliphatics, and mixtures thereof.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.