Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting up my commute and thinking of keeping a Camelbak in my Kelty backpack (it came with one). But after some thought... that has to become quite gross with mold in enough time.

How do you clean your Camelbak or other?

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Get religion.

You need to be religious about keeping the bladder clean and dry when not in use. You're right it does get nasty, but only if you don't keep it clean. The wide mouth Camelback bladder makes it easier to get inside to clean. You can use baking soda or HydraPure which is an anti-microbial cleasner made just for hydration systems. Once clean, you need to make sure there's no water left pooling in the bladder. Camelback makes a cleaning kit that includes brushes for the drinking hose and the bladder and also comes with a hanger that spreads the bladder walls so they dry thoroughly. As a final measure, I tuck a clean paper towel in the opening and let it hang out the opening to wick out any remaining moisture. One final tip, use a drop of HydrPure on the end of drinking hose brush to lubricate the tip for easy insertion (that sounds hot!)

·
Tourist
989 Posts
actually, as long as I use only water, the camelbak doesn't get moldy. I have the very long brush that gets inside the long tube, and clean the bladder with a sponge and dishwashing soap. This is why I stay with the brand camelbak and not the other guys who have similar products, with camelbak you can put hand/arm inside and clean it well. I recommend the very long brush, the set of brushes costs about $10 but the long one is really useful. I've never used the other larger brush.

What gets nasty, on the other hand, is my water bottles, when I forget them with coke / Balance mix / Gatorade / orange juice / coffee inside during one week. Now I put them in the dishwasher. Had some that melted in the dishwasher in the past, if somebody recommends a specific brand I'm interested. Heard that the Specialized bottles are good...

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I've been known to let the bladders get nasty.
One Word: Bleach!!!! Nothing survives.

I pour in bleach and add water to about the half-way point. Shake vigorously. Be sure to let the mixture run out through the mouthpiece. Dump the mixture and repeat a few more times with just water.

When storing, add paper towels to keep the inside dry and open to the air.

I know people who store their empty bladders in the freezer. Nothing grows in a frozen bladder.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
You are supposed to clean them??? Did John Wayne clean his canteen in The Green Berets?? Come to think of it, the water has been a bit tangy lately. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Pierre said:
Had some that melted in the dishwasher in the past, if somebody recommends a specific brand I'm interested.
I wash my bottles in the dishwasher all the time, one is specialized the others are performance. Try the top rack as opposed to the bottom which puts them nearer the heating element.

As for the camelback, I use efferdent, denture tablets. I also use it in my nalgene bottles. I used to use them to soak my mouthguard for lacrosse so I figured it would work.
Cheers,
Z

·
Registered
110 Posts
snapdragen said:
Efferdent tablets.
I scond that (also works good for waterpipes:eek: )

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Been using denture tablets for years. Pop two tablets in a full bladder and let sit for an hour or two, maybe overnight if you've got the time and whim. Rinse and put the empty bladder in the freezer. I put it in the freezer because I don't clean after every use. I'll rinse the mouthpiece but simply empty the bladder and put it in the freezer. I only put water in my bladder so I can go several uses without cleaning as long as I put it in the freezer. Nothing could be easier and it's cheap. No aftertaste, clean as a whistle.

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
i have one of the blackburn hydrapak bladders that uses a velcro closure, much like a dry bag. that allows for easy fills, empty, and cleaning. but you cant really put it in the freezer. also, NEVER put a bladder in the freezer if there is liquid in it. blew a camelbak that way.

and you should really only store it filled in the fridge for a few hours. i have had things turn pretty nasty after more than 12 hours.

back to commuting: the trick is once you get to work. this is where the hydrapak is the champ. keep the bladder in the bag for an hour or so and use it to replenish. then go dump the reast outside, blow through it, shake it, and towel it down. you can even turn it inside out. then, before you go home, filler up and she's ready to go.

might wanna cruise the commuting board or head over to mtbr.com.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
velodev said:
I'm starting up my commute and thinking of keeping a Camelbak in my Kelty backpack (it came with one). But after some thought... that has to become quite gross with mold in enough time.

How do you clean your Camelbak or other?
Sucker fish. Fill it up and toss in a couple sucker fish to eat the algae.

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
I like the way you think! Now that's creative.

·
Banned
657 Posts
I've never used one because of the the sanitation issues. As a biologist I think of all the bacteria the thing could collect. If I had one I would only use water in it (suger is food for bacteria) & might fill it w/ vodka once in a while. Also try those water purification tablets sold in camping stores. Vodka or rum & Crystal Light might be the best answer.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I have some of my degrees in Biology and Chemistry besides being a former Health Officer. My suggestion is to use bleach. I don't remember the dosage, I have to figure it out but it would probably be 1 oz per gallon of water and then let it sit and then rinse well and several times.

·
Registered
409 Posts
hmm, I'm probably gonna die soon, but I've been using the same bladder since 1997 or so. After I use it I rense it out well with water and maybe some dish soap, then just keep it in the freezer. It's been stored in the freezer 100% since day one. Maybe twice a season I'll clean them all out with the little iodine tablets. But not always. Yes, I only use water in it - sometimes with a hint of lemon juice for some flavor.

rmp

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.