Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
It's a controversial subject.
... controversy??? In cycling??? Say it ain't so!!!

In many aspects of cycling, there are opinions on both sides of a line... both can have their valid and suspect points. This is just the nature of the beast.

I'm one of them old farts that believe ya gotta get the grit out sooner or later and certainly, a clean drivetrain works better and lasts longer than a spoogefilled one. Course, I'm still using 9 speed stuff which is arguably more "durable" than 10 and the coming 11! Uh oh... more controversy!!!

·
Registered
838 Posts
If you do clean your chain, make sure you dry it thoroughly (inside and out) and well lube it again afterwards.

I used to use one of those chain cleaning machines. Then I got a master link and started taking the chain off occasionally and soaking it in Simple Green. Now, I just lube and wipe it once a week (which gets a whole lot of crud out). Once in a long while I brush it (while still on the bike) with an old toothbrush with Simple Green and then hose it off. Boy the water sure runs black when I do that.

Of course I install a new chain about twice a year, and that gets it really clean.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, heres what my brother said to do...he did this when he had a motorcycle.

He told me to spray brake parts cleaner in a glasss jar. get an old toothbrush. clean chain with toothbrush. then lube chain.

would that work?

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
trekrider321 said:
Is that the new clorox stuff?
... there are lots of enviromentally friendly degreasers out there. I've used Castrol's Cleanup (at auto supply stores) but in the past, I've noticed it crazes the finish of some aluminium components. I always like using Goo Gone (citrus based degreaser available in bulk at home improvement stores. No issues noted on any materials). Both are water soluable and do the job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.