Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During my Century ride this past Saturday, coming down Santiago Canyon Road in Lake Forest, CA, right at Cook's Corner there was some kind of event going on and the cars decided to park in the bike lane. Mind you that this is fairly close to the flat portion of the descent and cars were parked around a slight bend. What do you do in this situation because there is only so much time that you can brake or swing out wide and possibly into some high speed traffic behind you. I was lucky because by the time I got to that area I was alone so I did not have to worry about the pack but what have you guys done in those situations?

·
Registered
6 Posts
You get this in London. Was riding there yesterday and loads of people parked in the bike lane - WTF? What's the point in having a bike lane if people are going to park in it. They should be fined and their cars impounded! To answer your question, just expect the unexpected at all times and be ready to avoid them while keeping in mind there may be a car behind you. Not much else you can do! Oh, and kick their wing mirrors off when you ride past! :D

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
It's just a matter of turning around to check on where the traffic is, and then getting in the traffic lane. We call this taking the lane. It is legal when necessary. We do it all the time. It's also important to watch for opening doors on the way past the parked cars.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
there is only so much time that you can brake or swing out wide and possibly into some high speed traffic behind you.
Don't over-ride your sight. If you don't know what's around a bend it's a good idea to slow down a bit, especially on a higher traffic road.

Then report this danger to LE. They probably won't do anything, but at some point they'll receive enough calls from cyclists about stuff like this and begin doing something just to get rid of the annoyance of the calls.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Same thing I do when they're parked on the shoulder or the edge of the road. How does the fact that they're in a bike lane make it any different? You still have to be aware of what is going on around you and anticipate that you may have to avoid obstacles. It is awfully silly to think that bike lanes have some magical power to repel incursions.

----------------

·
δanned
7,006 Posts
If it's safe to do so, take the lane. If you have the time, stop and take pics of the cars and their license plates to report them. When in doubt, though, just remember that most cats today have collapsible mirrors, so feel free to give them a little inconvenience with inside out mirrors as you blew past them. :D

·
Registered
869 Posts
Call the Highway Patrol. They won't do anything, but you can pretend in your mind that they did, and you'll feel better.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Then report this danger to LE. They probably won't do anything, but at some point they'll receive enough calls from cyclists about stuff like this and begin doing something just to get rid of the annoyance of the calls.
You're right. And that something is just as likely to be getting rid of the bike lanes.

I'm simply amazed people are saying to report a car in the bike lane. Just can't wrap my head around it. Would you expect to get reported for being in the car lane?

·
Registered
93 Posts
You're right. And that something is just as likely to be getting rid of the bike lanes.

I'm simply amazed people are saying to report a car in the bike lane. Just can't wrap my head around it. Would you expect to get reported for being in the car lane?
The difference is that laws allow bikes in car lanes and prohibit cars in bike lanes. If it truly is a bike lane (and not just shoulder) there are likely "no parking" signs in the area and the LE should be contacted.

·
Crusty AF
1,215 Posts
If it's a single car, I'll stop and let the driver know it's not a parking spot. This happens regularly outside a coffee shop on my commute to the office. It's incredible how many people have "car trouble" in that same spot, at that hour of the morning.

In the OP's case, there may have been an event permit to allow parking there. We just had our office lots replaced, and the building management had permission from the city for on-street parking in the bike lanes.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
The difference is that laws allow bikes in car lanes and prohibit cars in bike lanes. If it truly is a bike lane (and not just shoulder) there are likely "no parking" signs in the area and the LE should be contacted.
just go straight for a SWAT team. teach people a lesson. I can just see the local cops throwing the donuts away and run for their case to make the catch of the year.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Call the Highway Patrol. They won't do anything, but you can pretend in your mind that they did, and you'll feel better.
had this idea about two weeks ago. SUV parked in a bike lane on a pretty good curve. not know if this was legal or not, riding along thinking I could call the police and let them know they should ticket that vehicle. well, next day on my ride noticed that same SUV but, in the intervening 24 hours, it had been hit. driver's side rear smashed in, wheel out of whack... sometimes things just take of themselves.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
just go straight for a SWAT team. teach people a lesson. I can just see the local cops throwing the donuts away and run for their case to make the catch of the year.
Depends on where they're getting their donuts from. Some are pretty wretched. They may be looking for an excuse to stop eating them :)

All depends on the dept and the 311 protocols. In some cases a bored LE might go by, others might send a CSO. This is unless it's NYC where even CSO's don't respond to much of anything without a dead body. I guess reporting all depends on how much of a danger you think the car is making things for cyclists.

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
I know Santiago Canyon that the OP is talking about. For those not familiar with Santiago Canyon, errr.. it's NOT the sort of road that you want to "take the lane". You will be killed, period. Cars go at 60-70 mph here.

The proper way is to slow down, way the hell down, and pass them slowly.

This is a case that is best called for "using common sense" rather then relying on the laws. Cost you about 30 seconds of your 6+ hr century.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
A big part of reporting is awareness. If nothing is every reported they don't think it's a problem and will drive by the next time they see a car parked in the bike lane. If they're getting calls on it they're more likely to do something in the future. 311 stats are also reported to pols and others and help in driving change. This is also why it's important to report every collision with a motorist, even if you're not hurt and ride on your merry way - so the collisions will show up in the stats and help drive change for safer roads.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.