Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

How do you deal with podestrians

• I give them the right of way and never disturb their path.

Votes: 25 54.3%
  • I try to avoid them, but they need to get out of my way sometimes.

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • I brush by them sometimes, but don't knock them off step.

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • I yell at them when they step in front of me. Sometimes i tap their head when I go by.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I bought a Surley Steamroller so I could run them over better.

Votes: 5 10.9%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a 20 year old college student that does about a third of my riding going to classes, a third delivering for JimmyJohns (~25 miles in a 5 hr shift), and a third training off campus. I think my environment is much different than most, but how does everyone else deal with podestrians.

Our biggest problem is ipod zombies, people who listen to loud music and look at their feet. They can and will do anything you could think of, and everything you won't think of. I ride a ton of sidewalks (academic campus has no car roads or specified bike paths) so I cut it quite close quite often.

I've never knocked anyone over, or even off balance, but about twice a day someone is going to get in front of me, and I have to brush by them at ~20 mph. This freaks people out if they're listening to an ipod and all of a sudden "brooshhhh" goes me with the blinker on the back.

No one has ever yelled at me, and when I'm working I get people yelling things like "I LOVE YOU JIMMY", and even sometimes when i'm not working. So I don't think people mind the way we ride, but what is it like where you ride in heavy human traffic.

As a cyclist I want to represent my people well, and with the reactions I get I think i'm doing a good job, but does anyone have tips for riding in medium density crowds?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
the first and obvious point is to slow down - you shouldnae be doing 20mph past pedestrians on the sidewalk under any circumstances - anytime you're around unpredictable folk just slow down

you're riding in areas in which you believe pedestrians should be paying attention - fact is they won't ever pay attention and don't appreciate the danger you pose to them and they pose to you - the only tip if you have to ride there is to slow down

also - but a bell - lighthearted ring ring bell - it makes people smile - specifically denotes bicylce and avoids you having to shout at IPOD zombies - (they always shout back in my experience)

and again

slow down

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
mikbowyer said:
I am a 20 year old college student that does about a third of my riding going to classes, a third delivering for JimmyJohns (~25 miles in a 5 hr shift), and a third training off campus. I think my environment is much different than most, but how does everyone else deal with podestrians.

Our biggest problem is ipod zombies, people who listen to loud music and look at their feet. They can and will do anything you could think of, and everything you won't think of. I ride a ton of sidewalks (academic campus has no car roads or specified bike paths) so I cut it quite close quite often.

I've never knocked anyone over, or even off balance, but about twice a day someone is going to get in front of me, and I have to brush by them at ~20 mph. This freaks people out if they're listening to an ipod and all of a sudden "brooshhhh" goes me with the blinker on the back.

No one has ever yelled at me, and when I'm working I get people yelling things like "I LOVE YOU JIMMY", and even sometimes when i'm not working. So I don't think people mind the way we ride, but what is it like where you ride in heavy human traffic.

As a cyclist I want to represent my people well, and with the reactions I get I think i'm doing a good job, but does anyone have tips for riding in medium density crowds?
Perhaps paint your bike all white to create a Unicorn motif. Once you've added the horn to the front you'll have one attention getting weapon of mythic proportions. I bet once you uni-corn-hole a few pod zombies that get in your way you'll have no further issues.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
I think you gotta play the hand your dealt. Riding on the sidewalk isn't legal anywhere I know of. I'm not telling you not to do it, but you need to know that when you do, you are on pedestrian turf, and any collision will likely be deemed your fault, etc.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i am now 100% getting two bells today and mounting them on my new TREK 1500 and my old 1979 TREK touring bike, that is so damn cool!

Does anyone make a lightweight one? Does carbon fiber make a good ring sound? "tick tick tick"
Titanium perhaps? I would be the guy that buys a titanium bell....

I think slowing down is a good idea, I probably only go like 15 on sidewalks though, they are usually curvy.

------Keep it coming guys

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jtolleson said:
I think you gotta play the hand your dealt. Riding on the sidewalk isn't legal anywhere I know of. I'm not telling you not to do it, but you need to know that when you do, you are on pedestrian turf, and any collision will likely be deemed your fault, etc.
I have heard of this, but no one on campus has been ticked that I know of for riding on the sidewalks. I think i'm going to try and use roads more if possible, but sometimes its just slower....

I was pulled over 3 times in one day for traffic violations though one day. It was the Michigan State vs. Purdue football game I was working 10am-5 and they were stopping bikes for going the wrong way in a one way and for blowing stopsigns etc. which they never had done to me before.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Rule 1: You NEVER have right-of-way

I deal with them by not riding in crowded areas, but you don't have that choice. The fact is that a cyclist doesn't have right-of-way, even when good sense dictates he should. Especially when you're riding on sidewalks or across campus, where pedestrians rule, anything that happens is going to be your fault.
I have bells on a couple of my bikes, and I use them occasionally, but I haven't found that they're much help. People hear them and panic, dodge this way and that, look back to see what's coming and then step in front of you. It works better just to say, "Can I get by?" or whatever.
The traditional shout of "On your left!" isn't much good, IMO. People are startled by the noise, then they have to take a second to figure out which side is left, then whether you're going BY on the left or you want them to MOVE to the left... It's easier to wait and ask permission.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I was talking to a guy at the LBS yesterday that had just received a ticket for riding on the sidewalk here in CA - 305.00!!!!!!
I have a bell on both the mt bike and the road bike - it's a cheap one and I usually get a smile and a thank you when I let people know I'm coming.
At some of the local bike paths the rangers can actually ticket you for not having a bell - haven't seen it happen yet, but I guess if they're in a bad enough mood.....

Pod Zombies....well, there's really not a lot you can do - even with the bell they're oblivious and I end up scaring the crap outta them when I go by. Usually pretty slow when passing though - don't want them to freak and jump into me

-Rich

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
I try to avoid them.

The primary reason that I hate MUTs is my having to deal with pedestrians. I'll take heavy urban traffic over the ipod-wearing, day dreaming MUT walkers and joggers. My general rule is that if you are riding where pedestrians usually have a right to be (like a MUT or a sidewalk or an urban street crosswalk) you need to be careful and give way to pedestrians without complaint. My biggest pedestrian problem is when I am commuting home and I have a short stretch through the 'hood. Lots of unsavory looking types will walk out into the street in the middle of a block and not think anything about walking in front of me. The last thing I want to do is come even close to these types.

Be careful when riding around pedestrians. A moving bicycle can inflict a great deal of damage on a pedestrian. Years ago, the elderly mother of a family friend was hit by a bicycle on a sidewalk. She suffered broken bones and internal injuries from which she never recovered. Pedestrians may be a pain in the @ss. But, you don't want to hurt one.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
1. Get off the sidewalk. There are roads: use 'em. If it takes longer, then pedal faster or better manage your time. The sidewalk is for the peds, not for cycling shortcuts.

2. Slow down. I ride between classes on the U. of Arizona campus, so I know what congestion is. I don't blast about at 20mph, because I don't care to hit a ped or go down myself. Going fast requires taking mine and someone else's safety for granted.

4. Assume the peds are gonna react just like inattentive drivers: they won't see you, and they'll move right in front of you.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Get a BELL and just ring the crap out of it like I do to warn them.

mikbowyer said:

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
mikbowyer said:
It was the Michigan State vs. Purdue football game
Spartan or Boiler? I went to school for many years in Ann Arbor. I know where you're coming from about riding on the sidewalk. For getting around campus, it's usually the fastest way. I fondly recall many adrenaline filled rides across the diag zigging and zagging between peds.

That said, it's prudent to use a little self restraint if possible. Even back then when I was young, foolish, and invinceable, I'd eschew the high traffic paths and stick to the ones less traveled -- or the roads.

If you're riding between classes, then a bell ain't gonna help. You'd be ringing it non-stop.

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
mikbowyer said:
..As a cyclist I want to represent my people well, and with the reactions I get I think i'm doing a good job, but does anyone have tips for riding in medium density crowds?..
Insist your parents invest in a good liability insurance policy for your.

I may consider covering the premiums on a life insurance policy for you if I can be the benefactor.

Good Luck

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
On the road, you're the slow, vulnerable vehicle. How do you like cars to treat you?

On the MUT, your MTB is an SUV. Think of it that way.

Acronymic attack!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Don't go 20mph around peds!

I know the streets around Purdue are all messed up and they won't do you much good if you are delivering to a dorm anyway. If you are sharing a sidewalk with peds then 20mph is too fast, though.

Don't go making my family school look bad like that! :p

Good luck in your studies. I know that it isn't easy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts