Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There must be some trick that I'm missing... because I just can't eyeball the thing straight. I'll be mid-ride, realize it's off juts a bit, and have to stop to try to fix it. THis goes on for 6 months while I try to make it right. What am I missing?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Are you sure it's tight enough, and not slipping slightly? Another possibility is that you're turning or twisting it a bit while you're tightening it. Other than that, the only thing I can think of is to have someone else do it for you, e.g, wife, friend, etc.

·
Registered
274 Posts
simoriah said:
There must be some trick that I'm missing... because I just can't eyeball the thing straight. I'll be mid-ride, realize it's off juts a bit, and have to stop to try to fix it. THis goes on for 6 months while I try to make it right. What am I missing?
here's how pro bike mechanics do it for the racers.

Take the wheel out of the fork. Then use the fork and handlebar to stand the bike up like a tropod. Use level ground. Basically the bike is standing straight up with the fork and handlebars the only thing touching the ground.

·
Registered
157 Posts
simoriah said:
I turn the wheel about 45* and site the front and back of the stem over the center of the wheel.

TH

·
Registered
376 Posts
I must be dense (no comments please)

mattv2099 said:

Take the wheel out of the fork. Then use the fork and handlebar to stand the bike up like a tropod. Use level ground. Basically the bike is standing straight up with the fork and handlebars the only thing touching the ground.
I'm having trouble picturing this. Aren't the shifters in the way?

I have always used a metal ruler and just sighted down the stem over the tire, however this is close but not always exact.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Thanks!

shabbasuraj said:
Use that tool called "your eyes".
I hadn't thought of that..

·
Registered
286 Posts
simoriah said:
I know exactly what you are talking about. There should be a darn line or something on the fork where you can line it up with the stem! I swear, I look at it with one eye and it looks fine then I change to the other eye and it's off. :confused: Just make sure you use your dominant eye and center your stem on your front wheel. Then forget about it and ride. You will drive yourself crazy if you keep worrying about it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
cthomas said:
I'm having trouble picturing this. Aren't the shifters in the way?

I have always used a metal ruler and just sighted down the stem over the tire, however this is close but not always exact.
seems to work for the discovery riders. I saw pictures of their mechanics doing this in some report about one of their training camps.

·
pinoy thunder
341 Posts
Look for a tiled surface in the house. Take out the front wheel and then align the fork and handlebars, while making sure that the rear wheel is on the center of the line.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mattv2099 said:

As it turns out, this is exactly what I did. It struck me at about 3am. I ran down to the basement, straightened the stem (was 1-2 degrees off), and went back to bed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts