Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I spent some time planning a route in RideWithGPS following directions from a route sheet. I heard tcx files (as opposed to gpx) are better suited as they can contain advance turn warnings, so I generated a tcx file and transferred to the Garmin.

Now, what settings are important to select on the gps unit?
When I ride the route, it looks to me like the Garmin unit is giving me hints from its own computation, PLUS the indications from the tcx file. Well, I want only the indications from the tcx files, not what Garmin thinks is a better route.

By the way, the map I'm using is the bike-routable map from OSM. Maybe I should use a non-routable map??

Thanks for any explanation, as the Garmin manual is next to useless.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
For advance warnings only work when you upgrade your ridewithgps service. Then you got to check the box and adjust your distance for the advance warnings.
see below the check mark indicates where you
Text Colorfulness Font Parallel Screenshot

For osm routes i would turn on the map in the activity profile page. And follow along the trail.

Export to garmin:
You got to export the tcx to a file on your cpu. desktop is a good location.

Plug in your garmin access it like a thumb drive.

find the file "new files" open it.

drag the tcx file into that.

Eject it like a thumb drive.

Turn on the garmin and allow it load up. It will appear in course selection

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I've done all of that. The question was how to have the Garmin unit tell you only what comes from the tcx file and not compute any navigation of its own.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Thanks, I've done all of that. The question was how to have the Garmin unit tell you only what comes from the tcx file and not compute any navigation of its own.
Easy:

The following is done before loading the course and riding the course
You can disable Turn Guidance (the native guidance) in Home -> Navigation -> Courses -> Saved Courses -> [hamburger menu in the lower right] -> Turn Guidance. This is a global setting so it affects all courses (and all profiles) while it's on or off. However, I don't know what happens if you change this setting while a course is active (as opposed to before you Ride a course); it might only affect future courses that get loaded, or it might take immediate effect. Test it and see.

The Edge's own tone alerts can similarly be disabled down in the depths of Settings: Home -> [hamburger] -> Settings -> System -> Tones. This is global setting, as you'd expect. I assume that you can disable via-phone alerts in a similar way (I don't have any set up, so I don't know). I assume it takes effect immediately, since there's no reason for it not to, but I haven't tested this.

Ah there we go! Well hidden indeed! ;-)

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh wow, thanks - had not noticed this 'hamburger' menu within the Saved Courses, I would have looked 20 times in the general unit settings without thinking of looking over there. Cool, will test on the bike tomorrow.

Am I still going to get the alerts from the cue sheet in the tcx file though, with the 'notify before turn' that you mentioned earlier? By the way, how many meters do you use, the rideWithGPS default of 30m or something else?

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
On the 820 Edge Computer a GPX file gives turn by turn with about a tenth of a mile warning in advance. It keeps warning the closer you get to the turn also. Not sure what a TCX file can do that would be more helpful than that really.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts