Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only get to ride twice during the week and then usually on Saturday mornings. On one of the weekday rides, I push hard (for me) - ~20-30 miles at ~20mph. This is on a flat 1 mile loop. I also mix in some intervals. With riding on Tuesday/Thursday or Monday/Wednesday, do I really need a 'slow' ride. I am more comfortable on the bike going 18+mph than going 15mph, but when I do decide I am going to have a nice easy ride, within 5-10miles I find myself pushing myself to beat my average speed of ~20.5mph. Longer rides during the week aren't really an option as after riding the 1 mile loop 20-25 times I want to off myself...I do longer rides (60-70miles) on my Saturday rides and push hard, but being in Texas (heat and humidity) I pull the effort back a little...

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
With only three workouts a week, you don't need any "easy" days.
Your next step is to get out on Sunday. Even if you only ride 30 miles, you will notice your fitness improving.
If you want to improve after that, you will have to include a Wed workout also.

· Registered
5,270 Posts
Being habitually hungover on Sunday is one thing. You work a hard week, you go out and have some drinks with the mates.

Being habitually too hungover to ride on Sunday, on the other hand, is inexcusable. It means that you are essentially blowing a big chunk of your weekend. While blowing chunks.

A ride is a great way to get over all but the gnarliest hangover. Just bring enough water and electrolytes.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
You have choices to make. You can continue to do what you're doing, or you can decide to move from being a bicycler to a cyclist. If you decide to take the path of the cyclist, you have to realize that the trip isn't free.

· Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow...it looks like I have a lot of sole searching to do..HEHEHE..PLEASE!!! Seriously, unless you are actually making money riding your bike, try to remember one thing....you are RIDING A BICYCLE! Lighten up and have a little fun in your life......

Ili...I hope you only show that to people and not say it to them because after the wind gets done knocking you over, you might get your a$$ kicked...hehehe!!!

· disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Dude, You're in the Racing, Training, Nutrition and Tri circle of a cycling forum. Did you really expect some sugar-coated responses?

· Registered
1,326 Posts
Why not drink every day and night and quit riding altogether?
You are looking for Alcoholics Anonymous.com.
We are at a loss here on how to counsel you.
I also have a few beers now and then, perhaps if you could just
scale back a bit and not get totally sh!tfaced, you would have
sufficient reserves to increase your training. Hey, a good buzz
should be enough, nes pas?

· Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep..I fully agree! I don't drink every Saturday night, but when I do, I openly admit I am a "Saturday night alcoholic'...but at least everyone has more fun when I get to that point (at least that is what I am told...hehehe!).

· Registered
3,230 Posts
the myth of the slow ride -
there is that saying, you have to go slow if you want to go fast. and it's true, if you're burning your little legs out day after day. you need to go slow on some of those days, or you're just never rested enough ever to go fast. you still will get some benefit from riding at all, but you'll not be digging yourself deeper into rest deprivation.
but three days a week? nah. ride as hard as you like. the harder you ride, the faster you'll get.

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Let's change it up a bit...what if you ride nearly every day (between 30 and 50 miles each time), and you never drink alcohol.

The other thing to consider is what if this person was in it to lose weight first off, and getting "faster" is a secondary goal (but not to race).

What is the advice then?

· Registered
995 Posts
MCF said:
I only get to ride twice during the week and then usually on Saturday mornings. On one of the weekday rides, I push hard (for me) - ~20-30 miles at ~20mph. This is on a flat 1 mile loop. I also mix in some intervals. With riding on Tuesday/Thursday or Monday/Wednesday, do I really need a 'slow' ride. I am more comfortable on the bike going 18+mph than going 15mph, but when I do decide I am going to have a nice easy ride, within 5-10miles I find myself pushing myself to beat my average speed of ~20.5mph. Longer rides during the week aren't really an option as after riding the 1 mile loop 20-25 times I want to off myself...I do longer rides (60-70miles) on my Saturday rides and push hard, but being in Texas (heat and humidity) I pull the effort back a little...
MCF join the Woodlands Cycling Club Hammerfest rides on Tuesday and Thursday. The club has various rides on Saturday and a short 30 mile fast pace ride on Sunday if you are up to it after Saturday night. I suggest riding 5 days a week. Hard on Tuesday/Thursday and Saturday. Real easy Mondays and Wednesdays. Just spin an easy gear and don't think of how fast you are going. Leave the computer off. Forget it on the easy days. Woodlands address is www.woodlandscycling.org.

· Registered
5,671 Posts
typically 2 days/week will be recovery rides - often Monday and Thursday, which will be 1-2 hour rides usually below 65% of threshold heart rate and 55% of threshold power. The purpose is to allow recovery from 2 and 3 day blocks of hard training (Tuesday, Wed and Fri-Sun). Typically, the hard training blocks are really hard--days of hard interval sets, training races, sustained threshold riding, and the rest at a solid endurance/tempo pace, maybe something like big gear intervals on Friday for 2 hours and 4-5 hour rides on Sat and Sun in the mountains with threshold work. Unless the workload is really substantial like this, there's no real need for recovery rides as the body can easily adapt to doing 2 hour endurance/tempo rides every day.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.