Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all this talk of miles ridden this past year, I started thinking of how I would start keeping track of my yearly miles too. I know how many miles I rode this year on my road bike, because it was new and the computer was also new. But I also have two other bikes, each with their own computers and I never reset the ODO. Are you guys just writing it down on paper, or do you use some sort of software? Just curious. I am going to keep track this year so I know how well I do from year to year.

Greg

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
mycyclinglog.com

Here's what I use:

http://www.mycyclinglog.com/

It's a web-based cycling calendar and database. Works great. I've used it for two years now and no longer buy paper calendars to track mileage.

You can use various tags to track your mileage -- such as commuting, road biking, mountain biking, CO2 avoidance, etc. Also can track by bicycle if you won more than one, and keep track of maintenance.

I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
???

If each bike has a computer, reset the mileage of each one at the beginning of the year. Add the totals together at the end. Seems like a no brainer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
C-40 said:
If each bike has a computer, reset the mileage of each one at the beginning of the year. Add the totals together at the end. Seems like a no brainer.
Yeah, I toyed with that idea, but I like knowing how many miles I have on the bike, for the life of the bike. Resetting the ODO would take that away from me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tarwheel2 said:
Here's what I use:

http://www.mycyclinglog.com/

It's a web-based cycling calendar and database. Works great. I've used it for two years now and no longer buy paper calendars to track mileage.

You can use various tags to track your mileage -- such as commuting, road biking, mountain biking, CO2 avoidance, etc. Also can track by bicycle if you won more than one, and keep track of maintenance.

I highly recommend it.
Thanks, I will check it out.

Greg

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
do trainer miles count, 'cuz that's all i have this year?

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
I create a spreadsheet that tracks my mileage, time spent training, tracks for different bikes, etc, along with remarks for the ride. Works pretty well. Very simple but gets the job done.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
ABQStumpy said:
Yeah, I toyed with that idea, but I like knowing how many miles I have on the bike, for the life of the bike. Resetting the ODO would take that away from me.
Not to be too much of a butthead, but they've come up with this newfangled thing called subtraction. Look at it now, look at it a year from now...

It seems that if you care about lifetime miles for the bike, you'd care more about lifetime miles for the cassette, chain, BB, etc. All are going to need the same sort of science.

·
Eddy 53:11
3,167 Posts
I keep a small, pocket-sized composition book to log miles on one of my fixies.
After each ride, I log the miles in the book with a pen. Or use my cycle computers
on my other bikes.

I know the mileage because I ride the route with a bike that has a computer.
If I don't know the exact miles, I under-guess them.

Otherwise, I don't keep track of yearly miles . . . I should.

·
Banned
305 Posts
my HRM came Polar P P software, its a great tool and 'free' once you pay about $400+ for the monitor!

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
Eh. Every year I say that I am going to log my miles my computer ends up breaking. Last year it was my Garmin flying out of its mount, so I was computerless for about a month.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
On my fingers.

I had used one that was online but it only kept track of date and miles. I started a spreadsheet for this year.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
My log goes back to 1998...I've ridden 71,409 miles since 1998....
Excel for me also.

96,412.9 miles since 1988 log started.

By the way, I think you ride TOO much.

(that means more than I have time for) :D

1 - 20 of 62 Posts