Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
duh...

ABQStumpy said:
Yeah, I toyed with that idea, but I like knowing how many miles I have on the bike, for the life of the bike. Resetting the ODO would take that away from me.
Then write down the mileage at the start and end of each year. At some time you have to change batteries and that always zeros the computer. I put in new batteries at the start of each year.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,985 Posts
I have the same Cateye wireless micro on all my bikes. I have synch'd the sensors so I can use the same display unit with all the bikes. The computer has an A and B counter so I can track individual bike miles for chain wear while also tracking my total mileage. At the end of the year I change the display unit and keep the old one on my desk to act as a motivational tool for the year. In addition, this lets me use a brand new display unit every year....

Psyche! Ok so I'm lying. I look at the computer once, at the end of the ride to see how many miles I've done, then I reset it. I also look at the computer to see what time it is. That's it. Life is too short, try looking at the scenery instead of your computer and you'll ride happier.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
DrSmile said:
.......Life is too short, try looking at the scenery instead of your computer and you'll ride happier.
What? I just bought a Garmin 705.

Which is a little risky since I did run over someone last year while I was looking down at my bike computer.

It was really her fault though. She stopped on a downhill "to let me go by". I was coasting waiting for her to get out of the way.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Creakyknees said:
simple. I don't.
I know that my commute miles are good for about 2000 miles a year and that I ride about that many more road miles, more or less. So it's 3500-4000 miles a year for me, give or take. Down a bit from highs of 5000 miles or so a couple years ago, but about average over the last 10 years.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,553 Posts
I carve my monthly milage on my arm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Really, people actually count their miles. That's like watching your heartrate. Why bother. My handlebars have Brifters and bar tape - everything else is overkill. Work requires me to track alot of data, why would I want to do that when I'm not there? Two days a week I ride hard. If someone is still in front of me I am not going fast enough. Two days a week I ride a singlespeed roadie on a walk/bike trail with the intention of not breaking a sweat. The other days I work late or work on my bike. Really, I'm in it for fun, everything else is bonus!!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
I have an Excel program on which I keep track of cycling expenses. (It's the only software program that can accommodate those kind of figures). In one column I type in the mileage on each bike on New Year's Day. On the next New Year's Day, I subtract. In between times, I never look at it.

·
Registered
982 Posts
i don't either. i almost never use a bike computer, just using it when i'm training for the very occasional race.

i ride as much as i can, and i'm happier riding hard, but not thinking about speed or miles. dumping the computer is liberating.

i'll probably get flamed for this, but, for me, riding is existential.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,486 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
Me too

My log goes back to 1998...I've ridden 71,409 miles since 1998....
Me three.

I've been riding since 1995 and started recording my mileage since 2000 and so far I've logged in over 38,000 miles. My Excel spreadsheet has columns for which bike I ride and for how many miles.

Easy as pie.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
keeping track

jobubr said:
Really, people actually count their miles. That's like watching your heartrate. Why bother. My handlebars have Brifters and bar tape - everything else is overkill. Work requires me to track alot of data, why would I want to do that when I'm not there? Two days a week I ride hard. If someone is still in front of me I am not going fast enough. Two days a week I ride a singlespeed roadie on a walk/bike trail with the intention of not breaking a sweat. The other days I work late or work on my bike. Really, I'm in it for fun, everything else is bonus!!
Tracking miles is a great motivational tool. I often will motivate myself to ride on days when it's cold or windy or otherwise less than ideal because I'm trying to reach my monthly goal of 600 miles. Plus, it's just fun keeping track if you are into numbers at all.

With a little bit of research, I can find out the most miles I've ever ridden in a month or week or year. Total mileage since I started tracking in 1999. Fastest ride, longest ride. But if that doesn't float your boat, so be it.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.