Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
tarwheel2 said:
Tracking miles is a great motivational tool. I often will motivate myself to ride on days when it's cold or windy or otherwise less than ideal because I'm trying to reach my monthly goal of 600 miles. Plus, it's just fun keeping track if you are into numbers at all.

With a little bit of research, I can find out the most miles I've ever ridden in a month or week or year. Total mileage since I started tracking in 1999. Fastest ride, longest ride. But if that doesn't float your boat, so be it.

could be motivational or de-motivational... just don't let it get so far that you ride circles in the parking lot after rides to "round up" your mileage

·
Integrated Cyclist
95 Posts
ABQStumpy said:
With all this talk of miles ridden this past year, I started thinking of how I would start keeping track of my yearly miles too. I know how many miles I rode this year on my road bike, because it was new and the computer was also new. But I also have two other bikes, each with their own computers and I never reset the ODO. Are you guys just writing it down on paper, or do you use some sort of software? Just curious. I am going to keep track this year so I know how well I do from year to year.

Greg
Addition

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
velocipede

ABQStumpy said:
With all this talk of miles ridden this past year, I started thinking of how I would start keeping track of my yearly miles too. I know how many miles I rode this year on my road bike, because it was new and the computer was also new. But I also have two other bikes, each with their own computers and I never reset the ODO. Are you guys just writing it down on paper, or do you use some sort of software? Just curious. I am going to keep track this year so I know how well I do from year to year.

Greg
I have used the shareware program Velocipede for about 15 years. I collects the data I want, has the requisite graphs and charts, and has a good search filter. You can also select data to export to a file which can be imported into Excel or similar

·
on the road again
58 Posts
tarwheel2 said:
Here's what I use:

http://www.mycyclinglog.com/

It's a web-based cycling calendar and database. Works great. I've used it for two years now and no longer buy paper calendars to track mileage.

You can use various tags to track your mileage -- such as commuting, road biking, mountain biking, CO2 avoidance, etc. Also can track by bicycle if you won more than one, and keep track of maintenance.

I highly recommend it.
Just signed up...pretty coool :thumbsup:

·
I didn't even own a cat..
594 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
I have an Excel program on which I keep track of cycling expenses. (It's the only software program that can accommodate those kind of figures). In one column I type in the mileage on each bike on New Year's Day. On the next New Year's Day, I subtract. In between times, I never look at it.
How about posting up a sample of your spreadsheet? I don't like reinventing the wheel if I don't have to. I really need a spreadsheet to keep track of miles, time and expenses of my cycling addiction.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,018 Posts
I have bar mounts for my E-Trex Legend, I am phasing out cyclo-computers entirely. I move my gps from bike to bike and dump the data into Sport Track when I get home. I can't say enough good about sport tracks. Considering it is freeware and I have contributed twice....It also provides maps from street level to usgs, to satellite and arial photo.
The types of data it analyzes is amazing, elevation, ascent, descent, caloric plus dozens more on a daily, weekly, monthly, yearly or total basis. It even pulls a weather summary from a weather server.

edit: riding with a gps may seem like over-kill but I ride rural roads and have no qualms about "turning left here"... because I have all the maps clipped to my bars...(not in my pocket or flapping in the wind)

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I've used everything from a spreadsheet to noting each days miles on a calendar. Also tried the web based services. I have finally honed in on a customized spreadsheet in Excel that can track goals/actual/multiple bikes/maintenance and some other things of interest. There was one posted a while back - fairly big file - I'll check for it on my external "storage" drive and post if wanted.

·
your god hates me
1,570 Posts
#1 - I use an Excel spreadsheet that's set up like a calendar...Before every ride I reset the "Trip Distance" on my odometer; after every ride I enter the "Trip Distance" from my odometer into that day on my spreadsheet.

#2 - to the OP who was worried about resetting his odometer: I don't know what sort of cyclocomputer you're using, but every one I've ever used would maintain "Total Time" and "Total Distance" even when you reset all the other values, and even when you changed the battery & did a total reboot.

#3 - to the guy who asked if trainer miles counted: No they do not...because miles are a unit of distance, and your trainer didn't go anywhere. Feel free to count them if you are logging "Pedal Revolutions" or "Power Output Over Time" or "Workout Hours" or any other metric besides distance. You just can't call them "Miles". It's the law.

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
This is the internets. You take your odometer readings from all bikes, add them together, and multiply by 2.3. You take the average speed and multiply by 1.4. you take the maximum speed and multiply by 1.3. I rode 7147 miles at an average speed of 22.7 mph. I hit 63.7 mph on a descent back in July.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
TouchOGray "I have all the maps clipped to my bars...(not in my pocket or flapping in the wind)
Sheesh! And you call yourself a cyclist?

·
on the road again
58 Posts
Bob Ross said:
#3 - to the guy who asked if trainer miles counted: No they do not...because miles are a unit of distance, and your trainer didn't go anywhere. Feel free to count them if you are logging "Pedal Revolutions" or "Power Output Over Time" or "Workout Hours" or any other metric besides distance. You just can't call them "Miles". It's the law.
But when I bust a trainer session my compupher usually says I went at least 20 miles...and it sure feels like I went somewhere:aureola:

·
Registered
44 Posts
(geek)

I browsed the responses but I'm surprised that no one has said SportTracks yet. Maybe I'm showing how much of a youngin' I am (26 years old) compared to many of the 40+ yo guys here, but I like technology.

Fantastic free software, works well with GPS products. I use it for swimming, running, cycling and other outdoor activities. It maps out the routes, and you can cross-reference your heart rate, cadence, and speed with distance, elevation and time, depending on your array of gadgets like Garmin products. You can also manually input each activity, and it keeps track of your equipment that you use, too... hence I can tell right away that I've logged 500 miles on my current tires, 35 miles on my new helmet and 300 miles on my pair of Saucony running shoes (I need to get them replaced ASAP).

You can also log your weight, sick days, injuries, perceived effort for a particular day, resting heart rate and other things. Then you can print it out in an excel sheet and compare it to cumulative data on how many trail cycling miles you've done compared to road cycling miles, how much of it was done on particular days of the week, and the relative frequency of the time of day that you do your workouts, how many calories you burn on average in relation to your weight, height and age, etc etc.... If you use GPS sensors, you can easily plot your max/avg speed, max/avg heart rate, max/avg cadence, total +/- elevation change, distance and other things.

I think it is geeky but kind of fun to *see* real improvement as opposed to just *feeling* improvement, the data is solid and the results are repeatable. In the last two years my average speed has gone up 4mph while my heart rate (along the same course at the same time of year) has dropped 6 beats per minute. On a particular climb, I can compare whether or not I go faster with higher or lower cadence, determine at what point my speed drops, where my heart rate stabilizes, etc etc....

(/geek)

·
Frog Whisperer
41,018 Posts
wagonman01 said:
(geek)

I browsed the responses but I'm surprised that no one has said SportTracks yet. Maybe I'm showing how much of a youngin' I am (26 years old) compared to many of the 40+ yo guys here, but I like technology.

Fantastic free software, works well with GPS products. I use it for swimming, running, cycling and other outdoor activities. It maps out the routes, and you can cross-reference your heart rate, cadence, and speed with distance, elevation and time, depending on your array of gadgets like Garmin products. You can also manually input each activity, and it keeps track of your equipment that you use, too... hence I can tell right away that I've logged 500 miles on my current tires, 35 miles on my new helmet and 300 miles on my pair of Saucony running shoes (I need to get them replaced ASAP).

You can also log your weight, sick days, injuries, perceived effort for a particular day, resting heart rate and other things. Then you can print it out in an excel sheet and compare it to cumulative data on how many trail cycling miles you've done compared to road cycling miles, how much of it was done on particular days of the week, and the relative frequency of the time of day that you do your workouts, how many calories you burn on average in relation to your weight, height and age, etc etc.... If you use GPS sensors, you can easily plot your max/avg speed, max/avg heart rate, max/avg cadence, total +/- elevation change, distance and other things.

I think it is geeky but kind of fun to *see* real improvement as opposed to just *feeling* improvement, the data is solid and the results are repeatable. In the last two years my average speed has gone up 4mph while my heart rate (along the same course at the same time of year) has dropped 6 beats per minute. On a particular climb, I can compare whether or not I go faster with higher or lower cadence, determine at what point my speed drops, where my heart rate stabilizes, etc etc....

(/geek)

read thru them again......
I have bar mounts for my E-Trex Legend, I am phasing out cyclo-computers entirely. I move my gps from bike to bike and dump the data into Sport Tracks when I get home. I can't say enough good about sport tracks. Considering it is freeware and I have contributed twice....It also provides maps from street level to usgs, to satellite and arial photo.
The types of data it analyzes is amazing, elevation, ascent, descent, caloric plus dozens more on a daily, weekly, monthly, yearly or total basis. It even pulls a weather summary from a weather server.

edit: riding with a gps may seem like over-kill but I ride rural roads and have no qualms about "turning left here"... because I have all the maps clipped to my bars...(not in my pocket or flapping in the wind)

edit: btw kiddo I been using it since you were 23...... (and I was 53)

41 - 60 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.