Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got into it with a guy crowding me out of the bike lane on Venice Blvd this AM. Got the license plate and a good look at the driver. When I called the LAPD after I got to work they said if the incident was over there is nothing I can do.

Is this correct? Do you have to call the police while the incident is occurring?

http://www.lapdonline.org/portal/ourcommunities.php

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sorry.

I had a similar experience a few months ago over here in Utah. When I talked to the police, they said that unless they see the act there is nothing they can do. If the driver hit you, however, that is an entirely different situation.

After I had talked to the officer for a while he offered to go and give the guy a warning. I had already twice confronted the guy who had nearly pushed me off the road with his crane. He drove right into my neighborhood for the construction job he was doing. I decided he was insane enough that I didn't want him on my enemy list and dropped the issue with the police.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HillMan said:
I had a similar experience a few months ago over here in Utah. When I talked to the police, they said that unless they see the act there is nothing they can do. If the driver hit you, however, that is an entirely different situation.

After I had talked to the officer for a while he offered to go and give the guy a warning. I had already twice confronted the guy who had nearly pushed me off the road with his crane. He drove right into my neighborhood for the construction job he was doing. I decided he was insane enough that I didn't want him on my enemy list and dropped the issue with the police.
Thanks for the reply. I'm really not that angry about the situation because in the end I made it to my final destination in one piece, uninjured, on time, and I got a nice ride in this morning. I was just wondering if some secret labyrinthine phone code existed where I could get the driver's license plate on record.

Live and learn.

·
Premium Member
11,955 Posts
friends in the right places...

a buddy is an LAPD officer. We've used him for various off-duty jobs when security was needed. I also have his # in my cell phone. I figure if anything like your story goes down, I'll just get the license # and we'll take it from there, although I'm not sure that "crowding" warrants a big response. But I wasn't there...

not that I'm a crazed vigilante or anything, but it's a nice insurance policy knowing that we could track them down and have a little "chat" at their front door :)

"Hi - remember me?" :eek:

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
I was actually threatened by a driver twice. He revved up behind me then swooped around, very fast and very close. I thought it was assault with a deadly weapon, as he was definitely threatening me with his car. Alas, after 30 minutes of bickering, the L---A---P---D didn't agree. Whatever. Next time tell them the guy pulled a gun on you. Same sh!t, different weapon.

Hey Hollywood, I was looking at your blog ... didn't your cross-check convert have some superfly wood fenders? wha happened?!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Whoa!

First off, do not file a false police report. That is a criminal offense that a district attorney will pursue far more enthusiastically than any subjective crowding of a cyclist by the driver of a car.

To reduce subjectivity, collect disinterested witnesses. If they are willing to cooperate on your behalf, you have a chance of the police filing a report and of the DA agreeing to prosecute. In theory, you can also sue the driver, but unless you can prove substantial physical damages (medical cost and / or pain and suffering) - even physical damages that are the direct result of emotional trauma - no lawyer will help you unless you 100% finance his efforts.

I know that this isn't very satisfying, but the best thing you can do is get off the road and up onto the sidewalk or well off the road on the shoulder. If the driver pursues you there, the police, in the absence of disinterested witnesses, will be far more sympathetic to your cause. As a practical matter, you must demonstrate that you took deliberate and repeated extraordinary actions to avoid conflict.

I suppose, in the absence of witnesses, flipping off the driver and audibly questioning the meritritious behavior of the driver's mother would encourage behavior that would interest the police. But on the other hand you might end up severely injured or dead, so this latter course, although more emotionally satisfying perhaps, is not to be recommended.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts