Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

How do you ride? What is your style/goals in when cycling?

• Racer - Structured Training to max race fitness

Votes: 18 16.1%
  • Touring - 5-6+ hrs rides are primary goal training to achieve

Votes: 11 9.8%
  • Fun Pace: Slow or group rides paced to be fun, but no killing yourself

Votes: 11 9.8%
  • Fitness: Riding with plan to achieve fitness goals

Votes: 44 39.3%
  • Weekend Warrior: Ride when time allows at a high pace - Typically 1 or ore per week

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • Occasional: Ride from time to time maybe a few times a month

Votes: 2 1.8%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So here is a poll just to get a sense of how people ride.

BTW... I have not included commuters as you can be a commuter and any of the above.

Personally I am weekend warrior type. I ride a few times and week and ride hard when I do, but don't follow and structured training plan. Goal is to have fun, stay fit and most importantly have it fit in my busy life.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
We like to ride around in circles wondering where we have been and where we are going to go next.

Then we stop for a donut! :thumbsup:

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
You should have allowed for multiple choice. I think I'm all but the last one.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
I used to race and train for it. Then I stopped racing, but still trained for it. When I finally realized that this made no sense at all, I got myself a cheap comfort bike (Hi-Ten steel frame, 26-inch wheels, platform pedals) and am riding it in street clothes 1 hour a day come rain or shine at a pace slightly above walking. None of the poll buttons reflect this "style approach," sorry.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I ticked Fitness. I train pretty hard with intervals, tempo rides, fartlek, fast group rides, etc., and do race, but don't adhere to a strictly structured plan.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used to race and train for it. Then I stopped racing, but still trained for it. When I finally realized that this made no sense at all, I got myself a cheap comfort bike (Hi-Ten steel frame, 26-inch wheels, platform pedals) and am riding it in street clothes 1 hour a day come rain or shine at a pace slightly above walking. None of the poll buttons reflect this "style approach," sorry.
I would call that "Fun Pace" for lack of anything better.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Pics or it doesn't happen.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
More of a WEW than anything.
Train more leading to endurance events.
Commute some.
Doing first extended tour this summer so long rides in my future.
Like riding trials/single track on my cross bike. Freaks out the MTB crowd.
Have not raced in a couple of years but want to get back into cross.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I ride in a fairly structured way and also to actually get somewhere. So sometimes the need to get where I'm going takes precedence over where I should be in the training schedule. I like to ride fairly long distances but have a basic 15 mile ride I do for regular keep the legs alive kind of ride that I will do at different speeds but on normal rides I kind of just go as fast as is comfortable with occasional pushes out of my comfort zone.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Um.

Five days a week to and from school, anywhere from an easy pace to wide-open-throttle depending on how disciplined I'm being about not trying to "win" my commute.

Depending on my schedule, maybe also some mountain biking at variable paces, maybe some structured workouts, maybe some group riding. Could be anything from zone 2 to high-intensity intervals for the structured workouts, depends on when you catch me.

So I guess racer, but my plan as such is much more "catch as catch can," my fun pace is relatively quick, and I try not to let training to race get in the way of also seeing my friends.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I qualify for 3 or 4 of those, can't pick one. Incidentally, my "fun pace" isn't fun for everyone :-/. I expect that's the case for several.
If your fun pace is fast that is fine, but you having fun while riding or is it a hammerfest. Hammering can be fun too, but is is trying to kill yourself. When I ride it is for fun, but every ride is a hammerfest. I push myself to the limit every ride. Your easy fun pace could be faster than my hammer pace.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Here you are. I look senile; the York River looks as beautiful as ever. Nice sheepskin seat cover, non?
Splendid. You don't look the least bit senile. I have to say that, because if you do, so do I.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.