Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
no, not mechanical failure, although i thought my wheels might give.

i was riding on the three foot wide paved shoulder, between the white line and the grass when i passed some guy in a new red, very large truck that was leaving a parking lot on my right. he was stopped at a stop sign waiting for the traffic, another car and me, to pass.

after the stripmall parking lot, the car passed me, then i hear the truck approach and slow down behind me. i hear the engine rev a little, and as i see the hood out of the corner of my eye, i feel a "ping" hit my left side. the truck speeds ahead, and i see the guy rolling the passenger side window up. he turns around in the cab, laughing, and waves. the guy threw something at me! i return with a one finger salute (not my character), and he does the same.

i end up catching up with him at the next stop light, but stay five cars back. i needed to turn left, which would have put me in the left turn lane, right next to him. remembering the mountainer biker who got in the fist fight and shot a truck driver, i decided staying back, making eye contact with the care behind me and signaling was the best option. the light turned green, he went straight and i sprinted left. i dropped into a twisting subdivision which led to a road, blocked from the main road (from where he might be coming) by a gate. didnt see him the rest of the ride.

my wheels held up, both front and rear der. shifted spectacularly, and there is just a slight adjustment i need to make to the position of the sti levers.
all of this clouded by some pickup truck jerk.

·
Registered
89 Posts
weltyed said:

i was riding on the three foot wide paved shoulder, between the white line and the grass when i passed some guy in a new red, very large truck that was leaving a parking lot on my right. he was stopped at a stop sign waiting for the traffic, me and another car, to pass. i hear the car pass me, then the truck approach and slow down behind me. i hear the engine rev a little, and as i see the hood out of the corner of my eye, i feel a "ping" hit my left side. the truck speeds ahead, and i see the guy rolling the passenger side window up. he turns around in the cab, laughing, and waves. i return with a one finger salute (not my character), and he does the same.

i end up catching up with him at the next stop light, but stay five cars back. i needed to turn left, which would have put me in the left turn lane, right next to him. remembering the mountainer biker who got in the fist fight and shot a truck driver, i decided staying back, making eye contact with the care behind me and signaling was the best option. the light turned green, he went straight and i sprinted left. i dropped into a twisting subdivision which led to a road, blocked from the main road (from where he might be coming) by a gate. didnt see him the rest of the ride.

my wheels held up, both front and rear der. shifted spectacularly, and there is just a slight adjustment i need to make to the position of the sti levers.
all of this clouded by some pickup truck jerk.
Good story, glad it didn't go any further......sounds like you live in TN . ?

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
grayslake, il. halfway between chicago and milwaukee.

felt like TN, but i saw no gun rack or cousin sitting on his lap.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sounds like a wimpy response to me.

weltyed said:

after the stripmall parking lot, the car passed me, then i hear the truck approach and slow down behind me. i hear the engine rev a little, and as i see the hood out of the corner of my eye, i feel a "ping" hit my left side. the truck speeds ahead, and i see the guy rolling the passenger side window up. he turns around in the cab, laughing, and waves. the guy threw something at me! i return with a one finger salute (not my character), and he does the same.

i end up catching up with him at the next stop light, but stay five cars back.
Good God, Man! Stand up for yourself!

At the very least, get close enough to get the license plate number and report the ba$tards.

Guys like that are cowards. If they wanted to hurt you, they would have hurt you. They threw something at you and then they ran like sissies. The last thing they wanted was for you to come along side and give them hell for being such idiots. Chances of them getting out of the safety of the pickup truck were slim and none.

There were plenty of witnesses around so it was a good time for a confrontation. Now they will be giggling about how they threw a little something at a cyclist and scared him silly. The next cyclist they attack will probably get hit by a larger object.

I understand that one on one confrontations with jerks in the boonies are dangerous, but when there are lots of witnesses around, coupled with stalled traffic that limits their aggressive options, you really should do something.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish?

The people who do stuff like that are basically cowards who have to take their aggressive tendencies out on what they consider to be "safe" targets. Their only goal is to make you mad. Responding to them in any way rewards them. Flip them the "bird" and they know they have succeeded in raising your anger. To ride up along side of them and yell something obscene would totally make their whole day. You haven't "stood up for yourself," you've only allowed them to establish the rules of the game.

Ignoring them like the irritating insect that they are, now that really pisses them off.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Spoke Wrench said:
The people who do stuff like that are basically cowards who have to take their aggressive tendencies out on what they consider to be "safe" targets. Their only goal is to make you mad. Responding to them in any way rewards them. Flip them the "bird" and they know they have succeeded in raising your anger. To ride up along side of them and yell something obscene would totally make their whole day. You haven't "stood up for yourself," you've only allowed them to establish the rules of the game.

Ignoring them like the irritating insect that they are, now that really pisses them off.

I agree with the other guy. I would've gotten the tag no. and let them know I got it and called the cops. But of course, I wouldn't have thought about that till after the fact. A friend of mine did this and the guys got 40 hours of community service and a 500.00 fine each! Talk about pay back! We even rode by and waved on our bikes while they were cleaning all the crap in the city park. Yeah, we loved that one. :D

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Yeah, right!

Mosovich said:
I agree with the other guy. I would've gotten the tag no. and let them know I got it and called the cops. But of course, I wouldn't have thought about that till after the fact. A friend of mine did this and the guys got 40 hours of community service and a 500.00 fine each! Talk about pay back! We even rode by and waved on our bikes while they were cleaning all the crap in the city park. Yeah, we loved that one. :D
Where do you live, guy? I mean what planet?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Ok, so this was not the "maiden voyage" but yesterday I took my new TCR Composite out for it's 2nd ride. Did about 60 miles, about 40 of that with some of my teammates.

About 30 miles into the ride we are going up a big climb, get to a flat spot, there is black ice all the way across the road, about 10ft long. Whether from being tired & losing concentration or whatever, we all start coasting across it after slowing down, but we don't think to spread out.

Yep, rider in front of me goes down while I'm no more than 1ft off his rear wheel. I end up plowing my front wheel into his back and going over the bars.

Amazingly, the bike didn't get a single scratch at all, and all I got was a raspberry on my right lower back, and I feel like I got beat up today. He was fine too although he got some scratches on his bike.

I think I would much rather have had some ******* throw something at me then crashing AND hitting one of my own teammates.

Ben

·
Registered
282 Posts
another vote for reporting it to the police. i used to just scream at them and flick them off, but found that getting a tag number and reporting it is much more satifying. both times that i have done that, i have gotten a call from the police who have contacted the owners of the cars. it feels great to get the last word!

·
Registered
681 Posts
dude your kidding yourself

Spoke Wrench said:
Ignoring them does not help. Did you ever have a bully in school? Did he go away when you ignored him? NO. Did he go away when you finally got up enough courage to punch him square in the nose? YES.
Just letting these yokels get away unscathed is in my opinion wrong.
A dent in the side panel of his truck or head serves as a constant reminder that the weak and vulnerable are not always weak and vulnerable.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Couple of points.

Frith said:
Ignoring them does not help. Did you ever have a bully in school? Did he go away when you ignored him? NO. Did he go away when you finally got up enough courage to punch him square in the nose? YES.
Just letting these yokels get away unscathed is in my opinion wrong.
A dent in the side panel of his truck or head serves as a constant reminder that the weak and vulnerable are not always weak and vulnerable.
I suspect that I've got a few years experience on you.

The statements made by a couple of other posters not-with-standing, I don't think that making a police report here in St. Charles County, Missouri would be very likely to have that kind of outcome. More likely, I'd be told that I need a detailed description of the driver AND an outside witness or other similar independent proof before the police would do anything.

As for the ignoring vs. taking some kind of direct action, I used to think the other way too but through the years I've mellowed. I have to tell you that as I've personally become less aggressive, I've had progressively fewer motorists acting aggressively toward me.

A couple of weeks ago, there was a thread about a cyclist who shot a mororist. I believe that exchange probably escalated from a brush by to flipping off to vehicular assault to a fistfight and shooting. Like it or not, that cyclist, who followed your advice, is probably going to prison. If he'd done it my way, he'd be enjoying the spring weather on his bicycle. I think that my way is better.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Getting hasseled by drivers, especially on deserted country roads with no oncoming traffic is one of my pet peeves.

18 months ago (September 2002) I came as close to getting killed on my bike as I ever have before. In fact I was certain I was going to get hit and it would have been ugly, possibly fatal.

I'm coming downhill into a large intersection that has 2 lanes going each way and a third lane in each direction for turning.

Well before I enter the intersection (downhill so I've slowed down to 25km and ready to brake), the car facing me in the other direction is about to turn left (into my path). We make eye contact, he sees me and stops, I signal a thank you and speed up to get through the intersection (by now I'm over 30km/h) and unseen to me the car BEHIND the stopped car figures the guy who stopped in front of him is wasting time, and he pulls out and guns his jallopy practically right into me as I'm passing through the intersection. I saw him at the last second and somehow swerved massively to the right at a diagonal, and the jallopy (at full pedal to the metal speed) zooms in behind my rear wheel and passes behind me by inches. I missed everything that was coming on my right, went over a curb and a median and brought it to a stop. The jallopy stopped half way up the ramp (it was a ramp to a bridge) looked at me and took off.

There were tourists at the corner and they were screaming, telling me they thought I would be killed for sure.

I was really shaken up, rode home, and only did a few more rides that year.

Next spring I bought a new bike and put more miles on than I have in years.

But what a way to go. Get rammed by some moron cutting in behind stopped traffic to get an edge.

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,031 Posts
Man,whats wrong with you?Listen to all the others.You should have got close to see the plate,stop,get a pen,paper,remember it and write it down,wave it at him so he knows your doing it and of course he's still in site of you after all of this. RIGHT.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My new bike / red pickup truck / FIRECRACKER story

Your story reminded me of what happened to me about two weeks ago. I too was on a new bike's inaugural ride when a small red Chevy pickup passed me (well, half red half bondo, and for the record, I know several cool people with red pickup trucks, so they ain't all bad, but I digress). About 50 feet in front of me, I saw an arc of smoke come out the passenger window, like they'd thrown out a lit cigarette.or something. I couldn't see what it was clearly until it was only about 20 feet in front of me. It wasn't a cigarette, it was a lit M-80 firecracker!

Thing is, the a**hole in the pickup truck hadn't counted on his own truck's backwash. About the point I recognized the firecracker, his wind caught the M-80 and sucked it off the shoulder and out into the middle of the lane. Also, the wick burned too long, so the cracker passed by me 8 feet to my left and didn't pop until I was 20 feet past it.

Here's where the story gets good. Just after the pop, I heard a huge roar of a V-8 engine over my left shoulder. Next thing I knew, a big a** SUV whooshes by me -- tinted windows, low-profile tires, king of the road type. The pickup had meant to throw the M-80 at defenseless me, but because of the backwash, he had instead hit Mr. Macho SUV behind him!

I don't know how the story ended. As the pickup disappeared over the next hill, the SUV was two feet off his bumper, hi beams on and horn blowing.

Isn't insant karma grand?

·
Unrepentant Mountainbiker
624 Posts
My favorite Karmic incident

The time the A-whole in the sports car zips by me @ well over the posted speed limit edging ever so slightly towards me as I was on the shoulder. His right side tires were over the line and I could feel the wind from his passing.

Just as the guy crests the hill, another car zooms past me. This one is being driven by one of the local cops with rollers on.

·
Ironbutt
203 Posts
Favorit karmic incident on a bike

My favorite karmic incident on a bike happened a few years ago when my riding buddies showed up at our start location with a young woman who was very obviously a really fit, strong rider. I hung onto the ride by the skin of my teeth, with the woman constantly pushing the pace. We were just riding along minding our own business when a guy in a nice new SUV started honking at us and telling us to get off of the road. We caught him a half mile further down the road at a traffic signal, and the woman walked over to the driver's door and began quietly explaining the rights of cyclists under the state laws. He shouted something at her that included a few expletives, and next thing he (and I knew) she had pulled a badge and cell phone from her jersey pocket. She said to the guy something like "I need to see your driver's license, proof of insurance and registration, sir" and to the cell phone "officer in plain clothes needs assistance at........" What seemed like 30 seconds later, two more female officers in a prowl car were on the scene, one with handgun in hand the other with a shotgun at port arms. They guy couldn't produce his license or anything, and as they towed his SUV away she said "next time listen to the girl on the bike and you won't have to deal with the officer in street clothes." Yes, that was one fine female cyclist!

·
HANK
144 Posts
Reaction

My gut reaction for about the first 4-5 minutes would be to catch up to the truck and yank the a**holes out and kick the c**p out of them like I was still 20 years old. If more time than that had gone by I would start to cool off (and act more like a 50 year-old) and think more rationally and figure that they were not worth it and move on, provided that they did not harm the bike. If they did any damage to the bike I would have to take down the plate and call the police.

·
Registered
180 Posts
What's gonna happen on your 3rd ride?

benInMA said:
Ok, so this was not the "maiden voyage" but yesterday I took my new TCR Composite out for it's 2nd ride. Did about 60 miles, about 40 of that with some of my teammates.

About 30 miles into the ride we are going up a big climb, get to a flat spot, there is black ice all the way across the road, about 10ft long. Whether from being tired & losing concentration or whatever, we all start coasting across it after slowing down, but we don't think to spread out.

Yep, rider in front of me goes down while I'm no more than 1ft off his rear wheel. I end up plowing my front wheel into his back and going over the bars.

Amazingly, the bike didn't get a single scratch at all, and all I got was a raspberry on my right lower back, and I feel like I got beat up today. He was fine too although he got some scratches on his bike.

I think I would much rather have had some ******* throw something at me then crashing AND hitting one of my own teammates.

Ben
I feel for ya; better luck on your next ride.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i see that there are a lot of dirreing opinions, all which went threw my head. i didnt even think to get the license plate until after the stop light. i was not physically hurt, and my ride was fine. i doubt the grayslake police department would have helped, although they do have 2 or 3 bike cops.

i did want to pull up along side the truck. i did want to yell at the guy. i did want to punch in the side panel, but i didnt thank that would solve anything. the incident with the gun a few weeks back ran through my head, but if anyone had a fire arm it was him. throwing the salute was out of my character. i can't be sure how i will react next time.

last fall my wife and i were almost hit by a car at an intersection. we were at a red light, it turned green, i went straight and a guy in a grey beater in the oncoming lane tunned left in front of me, nearly clipped my rear wheel. what puzzled me was he slowly entered the intersection, like he was timing it. he was so close, i was sure i was pavement bound. then i realized my wife was behind me. i stopped, turned to see her almost clipped in the front, turned around on a dime and let loose on the guy. the finger, telling him he was unclean and his folks were never married, claiming he had had sexual relations with his own mother...stuff like that.
even my wife unloaded, then told him to drive the f*** away if he was in such a hurry. he peeled out and sped down the road.

yelling at that guy only seemed to make us fume more. its been two days since the truck incident. i still cant believe the guy did it, but realize it could have been worse. had i pulled along side him, im certain things would have gotten worse. its been a few months since the car incident, and im still fuming. mostly because my wife was in danger. if something happens to me, so be it. but to my wife...

what can i do now besides get over it, be alert, and be ready to take down the plate number if anything happens again?

yesterday did a group ride through some residential streets. some cars stopped, some didn't. some waved us through, even though they had the right of way. just like cyclists, not all drivers react the same...but i can tell you im ready to take down plate numbers. and im ready to let loose if anything happens to my wife again. but until that happens, i'll just enjoy the ride.

·
Administrator
12,969 Posts
Whenever the yahoos yell or something- I wave like mad at them. They often sheepishly wave back- unsure if its one of their friends, or someone they should know- but don't. Works too with cars about to pull out is front of me. I know they see me if they wave back- most people cannot help waving back.

My close call have been usually bad drivers, not bad intent. Still scary- but its better then dying of heart disease or something else obesity related.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts