Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several bikes and probably 4 extra cassettes. I swap them around depending on where I'm riding and/or racing. I was curious if anyone has a good storage solution for the cassettes when they are off the bike and perhaps a solution such that you can pack them and take them along. Some way to label them as well so I know which is which.

Any ideas...preferably pictures, would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I use one of those blue multi drawer bins that you get at Home Depot. The one with the bigger drawers, each fits a cassette nicely. And I label the outside so it's easy to find the right cassette on my work bench.
No pics, sorry. At work right now.

Bill

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I use one of those blue multi drawer bins that you get at Home Depot. The one with the bigger drawers, each fits a cassette nicely. And I label the outside so it's easy to find the right cassette on my work bench.
No pics, sorry. At work right now.

Bill
I use the same setup as well. Great minds think alike I guess. I will try to upload some pics later but I can't promise andything since my camera kinds of hates my laptop lol..

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,985 Posts
Re-usable zip tie through all the cogs and spacers. Keeps them in order and they're easy to grab.

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
Re-usable zip tie through all the cogs and spacers. Keeps them in order and they're easy to grab.
The reusable zip-tie is the best method I've found. After it's zip-tied, I put the cassette in a ziplock bag to keep everything else clean.

I can tell mine apart pretty easily, but you can always label the bag.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
I remove the lockring and pull the whole cassette off with a shop rag. Place the lockring on the back side then tuck the ends into the hole on the back side. Keeps it all tidy. I put it in a drawer of my tool box after that.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
use #eleventy for old spokes.....

bend a loop in an old spoke so that I can use the head to "close it on itself". Run the spoke through the stacked cassette, "hook it", and there you have it. Toss it in a drawer, hang it on a peg board, etc...

·
Registered
164 Posts
You guys are fancy. I literally leave them on the old wheels. I'm a little retarded. I buy a cassette and wheels together. I'm not rich but I do rich people sh*t.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Would a CD/DVD round container work? I would think the spindle in one of those containers that new CD's come in would work. Don't know if the large cog would fit inside the round cover.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Would a CD/DVD round container work? I would think the spindle in one of those containers that new CD's come in would work. Don't know if the large cog would fit inside the round cover.
That sounds like a good idea. But who normally keeps those containers. It would be a little expensive/wasteful to purchase blank cds and throw them away.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.