Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i tried to ride this winter and i just cant really get comfortable enough to fully enjoy it.

I bought all the winter gear, including shoe covers and baclava and decent gloves, and winter bib tights and jackets. If the weather is under 40 degrees F I can only do like 30 to 40 miles comfortably. I know it may be case of htfu, but spring and summer when temps are higher i have no problems.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I don't know where the op is from but in the North East we've had unusually mild weather. I rode on Christmas to Bear Mountain and did a century in shorts and this past Sunday returned as the temperature hit 60. When its colder the trick is smart layering, wool is a great base layer. Secondly good shoe's matter. Simply putting on summer shoes and putting on shoe covers is not as good as wearing a dedicated winter shoe. I've done hours of riding in 30 degree weather with no issues. I've also gone out in temperatures in the mid 20's.

·
Registered
20,777 Posts
So, i tried to ride this winter and i just cant really get comfortable enough to fully enjoy it.

I bought all the winter gear, including shoe covers and baclava and decent gloves, and winter bib tights and jackets. If the weather is under 40 degrees F I can only do like 30 to 40 miles comfortably.
Not clear what you mean. What is uncomfortable after 30-40mi?
If you mean you're too cold, then you don't have the proper gear.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I go snowboarding.

Seriously, there are tons of threads like this over in the commuting forum and the bottom line is that everyone has different tolerances for cold and there are INFINATE combinations of clothing and layering systems that may or may not work for you. For instance, there's no way I can wear a balaclava if it's above 30deg F, I'll sweat right through it.

You just need to specifically identify what is keeping you from being comfortable (i.e. cold fingers, too sweaty, etc) and try new things until it's fixed.

Also HTFU.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is more of a comfort issue, I have "proper" gear temperature wise. Just after like 2 hours i feel like my skin is not breathing and i just feel tight.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I don't know where the op is from but in the North East we've had unusually mild weather. I rode on Christmas to Bear Mountain and did a century in shorts and this past Sunday returned as the temperature hit 60. When its colder the trick is smart layering, wool is a great base layer. Secondly good shoe's matter. Simply putting on summer shoes and putting on shoe covers is not as good as wearing a dedicated winter shoe. I've done hours of riding in 30 degree weather with no issues. I've also gone out in temperatures in the mid 20's.
What are these mystical shoes you speak of?? Also, what socks did you pair them with?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I dont enjoy riding outdoors in the Winter either. Cold/Dark/Wet.. bad combination for me.

My problem is that I sweat heavily, even during a short, easy commute type ride. I gear for a cold weather ride, but as soon as I start pedaling, I start sweating... which is fine, until I have to stop for some reason, or at the end of the ride. I have to immediately get out of the wet clothes, and change into something clean and dry. This means no stopping for food/coffee along the way, etc..

Anyway, I've come to appreciate my time on the trainer this winter. I started on it because I was rehabbing an injured shoulder and couldn't ride outdoors all last summer. I just recently started outside rides again recently, and noticed that I'm not far behind, or possibly even a little ahead of my fitness level last spring when I got hurt. The trainer time has made noticeable improvements in my endurance and my average speeds.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Just my strava feed and ego LOL. Trying to keep up with the other riders.
That's your problem right there. If you really want to compare yourself to others, get a license and start racing. As for winter riding, 30-40 miles in your neck of the woods is pretty good. Everyone has their own threshold for the cold. For every cyclist you see on Strava that you think is more badass hardcore than you, there are probably a hundred others riding the couch all winter waiting for 70 degree weather. That, or they are doing the Zwift thing, which is the cycling equivalent to masturbation - watching a video while pretending to ride with others.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
It is more of a comfort issue, I have "proper" gear temperature wise. Just after like 2 hours i feel like my skin is not breathing and i just feel tight.
You're a whiner and you enjoy whining on RBR as if it's an extension of group therapy.

Simple as that.

HTFU.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
Do you enjoy it more, or less, than 2 hours on the trainer?

Enjoy the few minutes you can (and there are good times out there to be had), but really it's not going to be fun to do 95% of the time. Accept that, and either endure it or do something else in the winter. A bit of xc skiing or snowshoeing would be more fun, some ice skating, or just plain old hiking up a hill and sledding down it are way more fun in winter than a 2 hour road ride.

Really, it's not about enjoying it fully. It's not about enjoying it much at all. It's about feeling superior to the wimps who don't do it. :D

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
My problem starts with the toes. Then my finger tips...
Chemical toe warmers in both shoes and on the backs of your palms.

I can't say I blame you under 40 deg though. Even with all the gear and being warm enough, I still get colder than I like on DH around here. The difference between going 25+ mph DH at 45 deg vs 35 deg is huge.

I use these
Headgear Cricket cap

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Rippin' 30-40 miles on a winter day would be a great work for me. I'd be happy. If I didn't feel it was enough work, I'd notch up my power a bit.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I don't know where the op is from but in the North East we've had unusually mild weather.
No kidding. Especially compared to last winter.

OP is in Southern California. :aureola:
EDIT: I was wrong about that. He's in Pa. Sorry.

all the winter gear, including shoe covers and baclava
There's your problem, pitt. If you're going to wear pastry, eclairs or napoleons are much better suited to cycling. Who ever heard of the Tour de Greece?

·
Registered
20,777 Posts
Chemical toe warmers in both shoes and on the backs of your palms.

I can't say I blame you under 40 deg though. Even with all the gear and being warm enough, I still get colder than I like on DH around here. The difference between going 25+ mph DH at 45 deg vs 35 deg is huge.

I use these
View attachment 312731
My feet are good with winter shoes and wool socks, down to35°. But lower than that I'll add these toe warmers. Then I'm good down into the teens.
They're great because they have sticky backs and are thin so they fit into snug shoes. I put them on top of my toes. I don't like them under because they bunch up. They're good for inside gloves too because they're thin.

·
Registered
20,777 Posts
No kidding. Especially compared to last winter.

OP is in Southern California. :aureola:
No he's in North East

There's your problem, pitt. If you're going to wear pastry, eclairs or napoleons are much better suited to cycling. Who ever heard of the Tour de Greece?
I think baklava is good for the cold. The filo pastry is a great insulator because of all the layers.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts