Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There is a post in Frames where a guy is claiming a custom bike builder has ripped him off to the tune of $14,500.....when the builders site indicates a frame is $1,900! Even if you put $5K in for a uber build package with custom wheels........you are still $7,600 high.

That really sucks....but...

I'm a fairly creative guy and I've been trying all morning to think up a series of conversations that would get someone to send a total of $14,500 to a builder for a $1,900 frame.

Frame $2K
You want lightweight wheels..OK send me $5K
You want 3 tone metal flake paint with 25 coats of clear....send me $2 K
You want DA 2 Electronic....send me $4.5K
Couplers...send me $1K

I'm not trying to flame the guy, we've all done stupid stuff...I'm just trying to come up with any scenario that would support this.

Len

Reactions: majura

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. If the accusations are accurate, I would factor an extraordinarily high level of gullibility into that equation.

But itemizing cost overruns? wow.... the mind reels

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Wow

That's a lot of money for a bike.

The build sheets for some very expensive bikes I have seen had labor-intensive details which added to the cost a lot.

Hand-cut and -polished lugs are quite a bit of money...upgraded steel.

I am presuming a nice handmade, lugged fork, maybe with a hand-cut crown?

Custom headbadge, custom dropout, color-matched lugged stem, etc ... very very fancy paint, as you mention?

It's also possible that he's lying or distorting the data somehow.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
$14k on a custom racer I could see, but he's talking about a custom commuter.

DI2 and a really nice set of carbon wheels could put you well on the pat to 14k, throw in a powermeter... but a commuter? I dunno...

Like I said in that post, I've met hawk and he's nice, but flaky. Kinda one of those guys that you don't want to let get between you and the door.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,959 Posts
There is a post in Frames where a guy is claiming a custom bike builder has ripped him off to the tune of $14,500.....when the builders site indicates a frame is $1,900! Even if you put $5K in for a uber build package with custom wheels........you are still $7,600 high.

That really sucks....but...

I'm a fairly creative guy and I've been trying all morning to think up a series of conversations that would get someone to send a total of $14,500 to a builder for a $1,900 frame.

Frame $2K
You want lightweight wheels..OK send me $5K
You want 3 tone metal flake paint with 25 coats of clear....send me $2 K
You want DA 2 Electronic....send me $4.5K
Couplers...send me $1K

I'm not trying to flame the guy, we've all done stupid stuff...I'm just trying to come up with any scenario that would support this.

Len
Plus saddle, post, stem, pedals, bars...if you're buying the crazy expensive high-end stuff, those 5 items can add another $1-2k.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Someone else posted this on the thread:

"Hmm, on his website he says that "Parts for complete bicycle are paid in full before the build". I wonder what that means. Is he saying that he wants you to pay for everything (groupset, wheels, etc., etc.) before the build? Why in the world would he do that, and why would anybody agree to these conditions?"

Crazy

Len

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
Gold plated chain? Diamond studed cranks?

I'm with ya though...how the heck did he get there?

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
Does that price at least include a reach around?
I was going to rep you for this comment, but then I decided "reach around" should be one word, or, at the very least, hyphenated.

Maybe next time.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
I was going to rep you for this comment, but then I decided "reach around" should be one word, or, at the very least, hyphenated.

Maybe next time.
Urban Diksonary shows it as 2 words. :(

Should I be embarrassed that I looked it up before I originally posted because I wasn't sure if it was correct?

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
Urban Diksonary shows it as 2 words. :(

Should I be embarrassed that I looked it up before I originally posted because I wasn't sure if it was correct?
Hmmm. I disagree, but the law is the law.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
I could see the expense if the builder was in Nigeria and part of the cost was to help transfer $10,000,000 from a dead King into your bank account to help out the survivors.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts