gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
i'm a driver.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Nice sentiment,

but even he doesn't know or believe that bicycles are vehicles. :D

quote: "...riding side by side and taking up a whole lane of a two-lane road, oblivious to the vehicle traffic stacking up behind them."

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
"On any sunny spring day, you'll find them infesting the country roads surrounding Baltimore looking freakishly fit in their Spandex outfits and dweeby helmets. You just know they're a bunch of smug, greener-than-thou elitists whose greatest joy - apart from forcing motorists to crawl along at 10 mph while they drift toward the middle of the road - is to lecture you about your carbon footprint."

Can someone give me permission to go hit him please?

·
Hold your line!
177 Posts
I file this under.....unenforceable law that probably needs to be passed anyway. We have the 3 foot law where I live (Oklahoma) and it's only usefulness is in court after an accident IF you can prove the motor vehicle invaded the 3 foot buffer zone AND the cyclist wasn't doing anything wrong that caused or contributed to the accident. This is primarily because the only motorists that know about the law are also cyclists. Most law enforcement officers are even ignorant of this and most other laws pertaining to cyclists.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
IMHO, we are either seen as a nuisance taking up part of "their" road or not seen at all. The latter is how I always treated riding my motorcycle - "No one sees you, but the cops" Kept me from many a trip to the ER ;-)

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Hence why I can't wait for my super bright and annoying cateye led to show up.. It'll be nice knowing I have something thats very visible flashing randomly on my bike..

·
Registered
627 Posts
I think thats an amazing article because of how it speaks to non cyclists. We already know how we feel about our need for safety so an article that appeals to us isnt really needed. This piece seems great though because I think the people that hate us will actually listen to it because its so obvious that the writer shares their feelings.

·
Registered
15 Posts
B15serv said:
I think thats an amazing article because of how it speaks to non cyclists. We already know how we feel about our need for safety so an article that appeals to us isnt really needed. This piece seems great though because I think the people that hate us will actually listen to it because its so obvious that the writer shares their feelings.
+1 for sure... i could care less whether motorists think that we are the scum of the earth, so long as they respect and recognize our right to the road. most motorists are law abiding citizens so they will begrudgingly respect a 3-foot buffer if they are educated about its existence. and for the record, i also felt like smacking the author until i reached paragraph 4 when his moral conscience trumped his personal opinions.

·
Registered
314 Posts
How about instead of the flags they use on the back of recumbents, we wear flags that stick out 3 feet on each side of us?:idea: :p

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Good article overall, and I like the way he makes the point that it's relatively few of us that make all of us look bad., and that neithe side should assume intent in the actions of the other.

I noted with interest:

"Take Adam Berg, a 35-year-old recycling business owner from Stevenson, who said he does his best to stay close to the white line on the right of the road. But that doesn't stop some drivers from passing him as closely as possible - sometimes deliberately.

"They still buzz you. It happens all the time," he said.

Berg said that the wind forces generated when a vehicle - particularly a truck - passes too closely alternately push a bicycle away and then pull it back toward the vehicle. He said that he hasn't been blown over but that he's come close to being dragged into the side of a passing truck."

Uhh, Adam? That's BECAUSE you try to hug the line so much. Move left a couple of feet, and drivers will still respect that you are giving them room, yet also realize that they need to cross yellow to pass. If they still happen to fly tight, at least you have some maneuvering room to avoid the draft effects.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I had no idea 20 states already had it on the books. That is good news. Funny I get mad at fellow cyclists when I see them doing stupid stuff; as they give us all a bad name. I think it has something to do with the average age, like snowboarding, since the majority of cyclists are probably younger they are more likely to break traffic laws??

MTT :thumbsup:

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
ZoSoSwiM said:
Hence why I can't wait for my super bright and annoying cateye led to show up.. It'll be nice knowing I have something thats very visible flashing randomly on my bike..
Don’t be too worried if it isn’t really super bright and annoying—if those are attributes you desire it is highly recommended to make your own, or fork over several hundred dollars for those overpriced Dinotte things.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
PBike said:
How about instead of the flags they use on the back of recumbents, we wear flags that stick out 3 feet on each side of us?:idea: :p

With carbide tips on the flag sticks. OOOPS! Sorry about your paint there, Cletus. Guess you were too close. Three feet is the law. Now get back in your truck because this ain't a bike pump. It's a 410.

I don't see flags on recumbents anymore.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
Kind of like beetles.

Slim Again said:
Infesting ... a curious word choice.
Ya gotta watch out for 'em.

One thing made me wonder: if a fast moving vehicle approaches a slow moving vehicle, whether a car about to make a turn, a farm tractor or road maintenance vehicle, or a bicyclist, the driver is supposed to be prepared to slow or stop, and is held liable if he hits the vehicle. So why wouldn't someone who side swipes a bicyclists and takes him out with their rear view mirror not be totally responsible for violating the law of "being in total control of your vehicle at all times?" Seems like a 3 foot law is really unnecessary, other than as a deterrent to make motorists think twice before squeezing past a bicyclists with no room. Very few do this in the first place, and then usually as an emergency maneuver to avoid hitting oncoming traffic to the left.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Well,

ZoSoSwiM said:
Hence why I can't wait for my super bright and annoying cateye led to show up..
there you are—motorists are annoyed by cyclists infesting the roads, you can't wait to annoy them back, they get even more annoyed by the infestation, and on and on. There has to be a better way. :)

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
Where do you get that idea, wim?

:frown2:
wim said:
but even he doesn't know or believe that bicycles are vehicles. :D

quote: "...riding side by side and taking up a whole lane of a two-lane road, oblivious to the vehicle traffic stacking up behind them."
Back in the old days, when our numbers were more limited, the last rider would yell, "Car back!" Then the whole group would get in a single file as close to the shoulder as safely possible. The front rider would determine if it's safe to pass and yell, "Clear!" Then the last rider would motion for the car (or line of cars) to pass. That was pretty much standard.

I'd honk if I came up on an oblivious--or arrogant--bunch of roadies riding two abreast chatting at 15mph. I'd fully expect them to get out of my way as soon as they perceived I was there.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Where do you get that idea, wim?
The author of the article uses the words " . . . vehicle traffic stacking up behind them." when he should have said "motor vehicles stacking up behind them." Obviously, his definition of 'vehicle' is a car or a truck. Under the law, bicycles are vehicles too.

In all fairness, you see this all the time, even in stuff written by cyclists. "35-mile ride on beautiful and safe country roads with very little vehicular traffic," meaning "motor vehicle traffic." Even we don't believe we're vehicles! :)

·
Registered
962 Posts
In S. Carolina we have the 3ft law. It does little good. The money that went into lobbying it should have been put towards bike paths.

What has always struck me as odd is the sudden drop in value another's life takes when someone takes to the drivers wheel. Why is that the most gentle person outside of a car suddenly develops the compassion of a pyscho killer when the drive. I can promise that most of the people who come seriously close to ending my life on a weekly basis would not be so reckless if our interaction was in a restruant and the weapon of choice was a knife.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts