Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent about 4 hours just now trying to adjust my rear derailure. It seems that it's not the derailure but the teeth on the kogs are not in a straight line, and some are crooked, so the same teeth don't fit right in the chain.

The gears started slipping right after fixing a flat about 4 miles from home.
I didn't have tools on me to adjust the derailure at the time, but I made sure to get into a gear that had the least amount of slipping (and it wasn't that bad).

Are they f'd up or is this typical and I just need professional tuning? can they be fixed/straightened?

If it matters, they are the Dura-Ace 10 speed cassette. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Peter_Klim said:
The gears started slipping right after fixing a flat about 4 miles from home.
Did you get the axle fully seated in the dropouts? When installing a wheel the bike needs to be upright will all of its weight on the wheels.

Was the derailleur hanger bent or did the drivetrain become excessively dirty during the tire repair?

The teeth on all modern cassettes have special shapes to aid in shifting. It is unlikely that you've bent them.

If the chain becomes stretched the rollers no longer mesh with the teeth properly causing excess wear. This will lead to chain slipping when a new chain is installed on the old cassette. A 24 pin interval of normal chain measures exactly 12 inches. Chains should be replaced by the time a 24 pin interval is elongated to 12 1/16th inch.

Al

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.