Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) What would be about the shortest pro race in mileage?

2) What is the average mileage range of a pro race?

3) What is the average speed that these pro cyclists race assuming mostly flat terrain and for what mileage? Such as what is the average speed for a short race and what is the average speed for a 100-150 mile race?

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Last year the prologue for the Giro was 1km. That's right, 1 kilometer. You won't see a UCI race above 300km. So that's your range.

Shooting from the hip, i'd say the average race is 200km (~128 miles). The major classics are longer, anywhere from 250-300km I guess. Major classics being: Milan-San Remo, Tour of Flanders (RvV), Paris-Roubaix, Liege-Bastogne-Liege, Giro di Lombardia.

Average speed for a flat race...depends. 45km/hr? It really is all over the place because there are so many variables (stage race, or single day. Motivated peleton?, established non threatening breakway?)

Time trials are shorter of course, and these days I don't recall seeing any that are above 60km or so. I could be wrong of course.

All of this info is what came to mind when I thought about it.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
At cyclingnews.com, there's information on all sorts of races, and they include the distance and the finisher's time; either they also provide the average speed, or you can calculate it.

I suggest you take a look at the archives.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Lots of variables but it can get NASTY when it has to be.Here's the result from this years Milan-San Remo;

1 Filippo Pozzato (Ita) Quick Step-Innergetic 6.29.41 (45.27 km/h)

That's 6.5 hours with an average speed of 28.12 miles per hour.:eek:

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
One of the things that you have to realize is that the averages are essentially meaningless.
If the pace was 45-47km/h for the whole race your average local cat1/2 guy could probably hang in. The problem is that the pace is about 40km/hr for the first 3 or 4 hours with the occasional surge up to 50-55 for breif periods to chase down an unwanted break. Once a break goes, it needs to be chased down close to the finish. So with 1:30hr to go the pace will go up to around 47km/hr. With an hour to go it will go up to 50km/hr. The last 10-15km will be raced at between 50-55km/hr. The final 2km will be over 60km/hr with the last 150-200m being up around 70km/hr.
That's fast.
So sure, the average for the race was only 45km/hr, but the last 90min are painfully fast. So go out tonight and find someone to motorpace you around for 90min at 50-60km/hr then try sprinting around the car at 70 for a 200m. That will give you a bit of an idea of how fast it is. Oh yeah, first ride piano for 4 hours.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
ITT in Giro

The ITT in the Giro was won by Ullrich today. 30+ miles in under an hour.

·
Registered
253 Posts
mtbbmet said:
Oh yeah, first ride piano for 4 hours.
Of course, unless it is the tour and a very motivated peloton when they are hammering for the first two hours with breaks happening left right and center and of course being immediately chased down at even greater speeds if there is one or more teams that don't like the composition of the break (we don't see this on TV). I am paraphrasing what Bjarne Riis said about Basso in the early part of the Tour last year when he said something about Basso just needed to get used to the speeds being 3 to 4km an hour faster than the Giro.

I think more of the local American races from Cat 5 through Cat 1 need to increase their race distances in order to develop American talent in such a way that they will be used to equivalent race distances that are run in Europe. I don't see how Cat 1/2's riding 70 and 80 mile races will prepare them for 125 mile races or stage races with 100 -125 miles distances back-to-back.

·
Registered
467 Posts
mtbbmet said:
One of the things that you have to realize is that the averages are essentially meaningless.
If the pace was 45-47km/h for the whole race your average local cat1/2 guy could probably hang in. The problem is that the pace is about 40km/hr for the first 3 or 4 hours with the occasional surge up to 50-55 for breif periods to chase down an unwanted break. Once a break goes, it needs to be chased down close to the finish. So with 1:30hr to go the pace will go up to around 47km/hr. With an hour to go it will go up to 50km/hr. The last 10-15km will be raced at between 50-55km/hr. The final 2km will be over 60km/hr with the last 150-200m being up around 70km/hr.
That's fast.
So sure, the average for the race was only 45km/hr, but the last 90min are painfully fast. So go out tonight and find someone to motorpace you around for 90min at 50-60km/hr then try sprinting around the car at 70 for a 200m. That will give you a bit of an idea of how fast it is. Oh yeah, first ride piano for 4 hours.
I understand what you are saying and generally agree with it.The RR I did last month is an example of what you are saying.The course basically went north then south.We had a 25 MPH sustained wind from the north.Going north the front group went 21-24mph.Coming back south we did 28-33mph.The overall average wasn't high but for periods there we would be cruising at 30+.

However,either way you slice it or dice it,the example I provided with the Milan-San Remo is incredible.28MPH for 6.5 hours in insane.I don't care if they went 10 the first 3 hours and 40 the last 3,that is one hell of a pace for that kind of distance/time.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
well from my friends that have gone to races

in the Giro he said to me "Imagine a climb that we'd be doing at around 13-15 mph. They were doing 20 plus and having conversations."

in the Ronde, on hills that we'd be struggling to keep the pedals turning over (or walking) they were launching attacks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.