Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How good are TREK 5200 carbon frame circa 2003?

Are they out dated now compare to more modern frame? Or are they still good frames?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I realized that this was a great frame in its day, but the design is at least 15years old now. Just wondering how it stacks up to the current flavors.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I test road one of those back in the day. I think it was a nice bike. Like riding a cloud. A little too isolated for my tastes, but nice. Current frames are a bit lighter (maybe 1/4 to 1/2 pound) and stiffer. Frame stiffness is the current "must have" in bike frames. Compared to the Scott Addict that I test road a few weeks ago, the 5200 is a tad heavier, flexier, and less expensive. The addict feels pretty wooden also. Some really high end carbon frames (Time comes to mind) have a different ride feel (more feedback from the road).

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a 5200 dating back to 1992 (in the original Lunar paint) that I still ride on occasion nowadays - I did upgrade the components to Ultegra-10. The ride is still quite smooth, but does seem a bit "heavier" compared to my '06 Madone 5.9 SL. But, I think a lot of that is due to the different groups and wheels (Ultegra-10 and Race Lites vs. DA 10 and Race X Lites), and on an absolute scale, the 5200 rides quite well. (I've also owned a Cannondale Criterium series 3.0 bike and a Schwinn Circuit in Columbus steel.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts