Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Through my team, we can get an unbeatable deal: Six13 Team 1 (Dura Ace) for $2300. I currently ride a CAAD7 that I fell into. Should I upgrade (not considering cost-I realize it is a screaming deal). How good is the Six13 when compared to the CAAD7 as an all-around race bike? I saw that it was rated highly as a race bike in one of the UK mags (3rd place I believe, only behind Time and Colnago, but I have no idea what they were basing their criteria on). Should I ride only road races on the Six13, and save the CAAD7 for crits? Our roads here are pretty rough: it would be nice to have a smooth bike at the end of a 4-hour race. That, and a nice, not overly-twitchy frame that I can ride all day are probably my biggest criteria. Light weight is nice too.

Frankly, the CAAD7 handles fine, but feels a little klunky. More or less, it just feels like a bike: fairly smooth, not overly stiff, pretty neutral-handling. Not quite as stiff as my old Colnago Dream Plus, more smooth too. Then again, it may be something to do with the components: it is a second-hand 2-year old R1000 triple, so it has the klunky 9-speed Ultegra triple setup, wierd anatomic Ritchey bars, and Ksyrium Elites (all flash, no dash wheels-pretty heavy for the $ they sell for).

·
Banned
3,305 Posts
Put it this way. The Six13 is nice enough for Simoni to go out of his way to mention how nice it was when talking about the new Scott his team is riding this year.

The reviews on it are impeccable. Man, for that deal, I'd jump on it in a second.

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,349 Posts
Great Deal!

chiho said:
Through my team, we can get an unbeatable deal: Six13 Team 1 (Dura Ace) for $2300. I currently ride a CAAD7 that I fell into. Should I upgrade (not considering cost-I realize it is a screaming deal). How good is the Six13 when compared to the CAAD7 as an all-around race bike? I saw that it was rated highly as a race bike in one of the UK mags (3rd place I believe, only behind Time and Colnago, but I have no idea what they were basing their criteria on). Should I ride only road races on the Six13, and save the CAAD7 for crits? Our roads here are pretty rough: it would be nice to have a smooth bike at the end of a 4-hour race. That, and a nice, not overly-twitchy frame that I can ride all day are probably my biggest criteria. Light weight is nice too.

Frankly, the CAAD7 handles fine, but feels a little klunky. More or less, it just feels like a bike: fairly smooth, not overly stiff, pretty neutral-handling. Not quite as stiff as my old Colnago Dream Plus, more smooth too. Then again, it may be something to do with the components: it is a second-hand 2-year old R1000 triple, so it has the klunky 9-speed Ultegra triple setup, wierd anatomic Ritchey bars, and Ksyrium Elites (all flash, no dash wheels-pretty heavy for the $ they sell for).
Here's an idea, how 'bout you order an extra for me and I make it worth your while?
Which CAAD 7 frame do you have? The silver/red?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I have a Six13 team replica with Campy. I paid close to $5K for it, so, number 1, you're getting a steal. Second, it's super stiff on climbs and great powering out of technical turns, etc. In addition, you've got most of the Health Net and Barloworld guys riding Six13s this season. Chris Boardman also reviewed the Six13 after riding it in Red Rocks, Nevada last Fall. There was a review published in procycling where he gave the Six13 a solid review, something he doesn't do with all bikes he reviews.

And Lampre sprinter Daniele Benatti, who won several sprints last year on his Six13 and came a half-wheel from winning Paris-Tours, recently stated on bicirace.com that: "The Cannondale was a great bicycle for me." [He is now on a Willier as former Saeco manager Claudio Corti left Lampre to join Barloworld, which is now supplied by Cannondale; Lampre went back to its 2004 bike supplier.]

·
Registered
499 Posts
lemonlime said:
Here's an idea, how 'bout you order an extra for me and I make it worth your while?
I was thinking the same thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts