Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a bike off of Ebay and the seller took it to a bike shop for packing. They shipped it in a brand new box. I was told that all that was don to prepare it for shipping was that the front tire and bars were removed. I can put on a front tire. Just wondering how much work it will take to assemble the bars. Also, what else will I need to do? I'd take it to an LBS for a tuneup (and probably will later), but the bike arrives today and we are going out of town tomorrow. I'd like to take the bike with us to get some riding in.

It is in "almost new" shape - less than 100 miles on it.

TIA

· Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
cka1971 said:
I purchased a bike off of Ebay and the seller took it to a bike shop for packing. They shipped it in a brand new box. I was told that all that was don to prepare it for shipping was that the front tire and bars were removed. I can put on a front tire. Just wondering how much work it will take to assemble the bars. Also, what else will I need to do? I'd take it to an LBS for a tuneup (and probably will later), but the bike arrives today and we are going out of town tomorrow. I'd like to take the bike with us to get some riding in.

It is in "almost new" shape - less than 100 miles on it.

TIA
How much trouble the removed bars will be depends on what they did to remove them. If they just took off the face-plate of the stem and pulled them out, then it's VERY easy to sort them out and all you need is the right size hex key. Put the bars in, put the face-plate on loosely, decide the angle you want/need, tighten bolts (carefully, making sure to tighten them all evenly).

If they took the top cap off the steerer and pulled the stem off and left it attached to the bars (the only reason I think they'd do this is if the stem doesn't have a removable face-plate), then it's a bit more work. You'll need a couple of hex keys, and instructions on how to properly tighten the headset. The Park Tools website has lots of good how-to stuff that should sort you out. It should still take you WAY under an hour, even if you have to stand there and go step by step with the Park website and drop your tools a lot. And your computer crashes twice. It's not very difficult or complicated.

Worst case, they un-taped one side of the bars, took off one of the brake/shift levers, and backed the bar out through the stem. This is so wildly unlikely that I'll wait until you come back to us and say, "that's what they did," before bothering to explain anything about it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.