Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this in the beginners section then figured better in this sections; sorry for mistake.

I picked up a "Quill Adapter - threaded to thread-less" and a 60mm stem with a 110 degree upward bend. I am not sure that is the right terminology, but hopefully the point gets across. My bars fit the new stem so didn't have to buy bars. $21.00 total out the door for stem and adapter.

LBS said they are too busy until the end of next week to install so I brought everything home.

Do you all think I can replace this stuff myself? I am mechanically inclined; they said to bring it in because they would re-fit me for an additional $50.00. Kind of made me a little upset because the initial fitting was 48 hours ago and I paid for it so don't see why I should have to pay to get re-fit for the changes they recommended, but I didn't have the cash that day. :mad2:

I have the bar tape and allen wrenches; can't imagine it would be too hard to loosen the Shimano 105 shifters and re-tape....? I am looking for instructions here on the forum now.

Thanks so much sir.
Cheers!!!

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
You sound like you could do it with no problems...The hardest part is taking the old bar off the stem

1. Remove the bar tape from one side of the bars.

2. You only need to take off the shifters on one side. Leave the cables/housing attached to the shift levers. The brake housing is probably taped to the bar...remove the tape..

3. loosen the shift lever( the bolt is on the outside of the shifter body. look for a little indentation in the brake hood. pull it back and you'll see where to slide in the allen key.

4. Slide the shift lever off the bar.. Loosen the stem and remove the bar. It take twisting the bar when you get the curves to get the bar out of the stem. It's easier doing this with the stem removed from the bike.

5. Put the quill adapter in

6. Install stem and bars

7. re-install shift lever. tape the cable housing back to bar.

8. add bar tape...

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
if your bars are higher, you might need new cables/housings... in which case you need to also be able to adjust everything (brakes, fornt der, rear der)

why are you making the change?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the input; project will be finished as soon as I can do the bar tape.

Hey FatTireFred, the bike is too big for me, but it's my first bike, the price was good from a close friend, and if I like the sport I'll buy a better bike my size next year. That said; after professional fitting the fitter said bike is fitting me at the lowest limits possible (seat all the way down, bars needed to be moved back to relieve pressure on elbows.)

As of now a 5 miles test ride the bikes feels very good; majority of my weight on the saddle, no pain in joints, neck, back, and hips are inline naturally, and arms now naturally bent. These were all things I had to concentrate and constantly remind myself to do before the fitting and moving the bar.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.