Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you guys ride how do you treat yourself? Do you guys have no mercy for yourself and make yourself push the tall gears up the hills, or do you wimp out? Do you go as fast as possible on the flats, or do you ride to where your comfortable?

·
Registered
727 Posts
different rides have different goals and purposes. some rides should be hammer-sessions. you push till you puke, then you clip back in and keep pushing.
some rides are recovery rides. you spin at a high cadence and when the lactic acid comes, you slow down or shift down.
some rides, most rides, are somewhere between the two. just remember, hammering and pushing on every single ride will just burn you out and slow your progress. the pros do a lot of mellow-paced riding. (keep in mind, a mellow pace for them is sprinting for most, but you get the idea)

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
cmatcan said:
different rides have different goals and purposes. some rides should be hammer-sessions. you push till you puke, then you clip back in and keep pushing.
some rides are recovery rides. you spin at a high cadence and when the lactic acid comes, you slow down or shift down.
some rides, most rides, are somewhere between the two. just remember, hammering and pushing on every single ride will just burn you out and slow your progress. the pros do a lot of mellow-paced riding. (keep in mind, a mellow pace for them is sprinting for most, but you get the idea)
yeah. I try to ride every second day, simply because i have found that if i ride the next day, most of the time i feel burnt out. During the actual ride, i do try to hammer whenever i can, and try to keep a decent pace when i am recovering... Generally i try not to dip below 30km/h on the flats, some days are tougher than others due to the wind and also temperature. Most of my kms are pretty decent hill climbs tho, and that probably explains why i feel kinda dead the next day. For the hills i generally find for me, i am faster if i stay seated and try to spin the big ring up front (53t), and my biggest or second biggest in the rear (23 or 21) rather than standing up and pushing, although this does feel easier and i can sustain it for longer, so in this too i try to vary it up from ride to ride. I stay down and spin up a hill when i'm up for improving my fitness or just plain hurting myself.

just have to say, the improvement you find in cycling is awesome. i never had this in running or other stuff, but in 4 months i am a much stronger rider (still crap tho, hehe). But hills i used to die under no so long ago are pretty easy for me now and i do kinda try to sprint up them.. of course now i've moved to longer and steeper climbs that are kicking my ass at the moment. Thankfully when you go back to the easier stuff you wonder what the big deal was... But what i'm trying to say is early on, no matter how much it hurts or offends your pride, get on some hills to train on if at all possible. I am so glad i cut my teeth on some of the toughest climbs in inner melbourne (thankfully i live pretty close to the legendary boulevard, a favorite for roadies). On group rides, its pretty funny when ppl drop like flies on the slightest of inclines. If you're not used to them, you'll never quite recover on the flats either. That said, i can't deal with wind.

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
For better or worse, I tend to push a little hard each ride. I have trouble just taking it easy the whole ride. Somewhere along the ride, I get carried away and start cranking.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Solo, I ride within a certain HR with a couple of efforts.

Group rides around here seem to blow out of control, no matter what the season, so you gotta go with the group.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,267 Posts
Depends if i'm solo or in a group. I also don't think I did a single ride last year that was less than 25 miles. The average for the year ended up at 42.5 miles per ride.

Solo and Hills: I'm probably using this as more of a recovery ride, because...
Solo and Flats: I'm pushing it has hard as I can. When solo, it's a rare day when I do more than a metric century.

Group and Hills: Depends on milage. I'm a clyde, so I can't go all out on long rides with hills. I'd say the up to 50 miles I can hit it pretty well.
Group and Flats: Going to be an all out effort.

So as you can see, I tend to always start pushing myself pretty hard no matter what, unless it's one of those days when I throw in a couple hills by myself and "hot dog" it.

I'm also not someone that has inspirations of racing. I ride just because I like it, and as long as I can keep up with my friends i'm happy.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
get a good book

Rum_Runner1 said:
When you guys ride how do you treat yourself? Do you guys have no mercy for yourself and make yourself push the tall gears up the hills, or do you wimp out? Do you go as fast as possible on the flats, or do you ride to where your comfortable?
If you're really concerned about this and want ride well this season (which doesn't nec mean you're winning races, but riding healthy and not burned out by mi-June) then get a good training book such as Freil's or Fred Matheny's and read up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts