Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I will admit I'm the new guy and have never touched a road bike. :mad:

With that being said I find that I'm spending more time on the asphalt and having more fun on my mountain bike fitted with slicks than I have in the dirt for quite some time.

I am extremely interested in purchasing a road bike because I think it could really change my life. I'm not trying to be dramatic but I need something I enjoy, like cycling to really help me get my physical health under control. I'm 26 years old, stand 5'8" and weigh about 275. I really want to get in shape and be healthy so I can be around for a long time.

If you could take a few minutes to share some stories of how cycling has really changed your life please do. I think it would be great to read and also to let my girlfriend read so maybe spending a $1000 on a bike would seem more like an investment in our future.

Also, If you have any experience with the Felt Z series, or any of the other 'relaxed' geometry bikes please let me know.

I appreciate your time! :: M

· Registered
1,392 Posts
Let her know that cycling @ least 2 hrs. a day will increase your attention to tasks, focus, ability to listen, sensitivity, desire to watch all reality shows, romantic side, and interest with increasing your shoe collection. ;?)

BTW, welcome!

· Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
We are Family

Cycling is my mental escape from all of lifes challenges. Whether riding alone or with my friends a two hour ride leaves me feeling recharged. Whether its racing or just tooling around town I like to ride.

My son grew up on the back of our tandem. He has met so many good people through cycling and even now that he is out of the house he remains very active in cycling. There is nothing as thrilling as being in the middle of a race with your kid and watching them use all the skills you taught them. And while he can still outsprint me I still beat him from time to time.

I met my wife cycling and we still love sharing rides together. Courted her on the bike, told her I loved her the first time on a bike ride, made love to her on a bike ride, proposed to her on a bike ride... For us cycling is a great way to share life.

JustWannaVW said:
...I think it would be great to read and also to let my girlfriend read...
Cycling is a great place to pick up chicks too, but you may not want to show this part to your girlfriend.

· I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
I started mountain biking almost 4 years ago.. Became hooked instantly and rode all the time. Moved home after college and got a decent job.At home there are no trails.. So.. What am I to do?! I started getting heavier and I hated myself for it. So.. After landing my job I bought a road bike for a present to myself. I started riding.. building slowly and rode a century for the first time 4 months later.

That was last year..

Now I ride 97% of the time on my road bike and maybe 3% on my mountain bikes. I still don't have much trail access..

I have lost a lot of weight. I'm happier. I'm more active. I feel better about myself.

Cycling has changed me for the better and I look forward to the coming years of cycling giving me even more.

· Registered
1,002 Posts
I became interested in cycling after experiencing a great spin instructor at the gym. I noticed such a remarkable improvement in my ability in such a short time (a month or so) on a spin bike, that my interest was really peaked about riding outdoors.

Previously I had no confidence that I could ever ride outdoors with any success.

I first bought a cheap POS mountain bike from Academy. I tried out riding to work and made it in reasonable time. That truly put the bug in me. I could ditch my car and ride to work! I could arrive home from work physically tired from using my body's strength instead of mentally fried from dealing with traffic and still thinking about work.

Cycling became the mute button to squelch the endless over-thinking in my head. The whole world goes on hold when I'm on a ride. And trust me, there is nothing going on in my life that can't wait a couple of hours.

I then bought a much better bike. Still an intro level road bike, but SO MUCH better than the POS MTB. And it fit me. And I could fly on this bike. I push the pedals and it just goes.

Now I ride 6 days a week. I still go to spin class occasionally (once or twice a week) which I think improves my skills out on the bike. I'm sure when the weather turns yucky, I'll be back in the gym more. However for now, I want nothing more than to ride.

I feel so much stronger, leaner, more confident off and on the bike. My self-esteem has jumped way up. My husband and I have a hobby we can do together now.

It's all around... a GOOD THING.

· fifth time's a charm
1,805 Posts
I started on a MTB as well and while I liked the trails I found that the Roadie side of the sport fit me better. Several years ago I was 215lbs and at only 5'9 I was not in good shape. I had high BP and enjoyed a diet that was filled with enough calories to satisfy several days. Since I have got into cycling my life has completely changed-

I now weigh 155lbs

BP is 105/60

resting HR has gone from the mid 80s to low to mid 50s

my diet is completely changed for the good, plus I have quit smokeless tobacco for good (5years).

I feel great physically and mentally, I am sooooo more of a relaxed person and I handle life's little adversities sooo much better.

Honestly, cycling has saved my life. I'll be 39 this year and I could not keep going the way I was.

· Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
I lost all my baby fat (or normal fat as most would call it)

From 155 lbs, to 135 lbs @ 5'8"

BP is about high 90/50 ish... a bit low but my doc says its okay, I use to hit the magic 120/80 all the time.

Resting HR is in the 50's, if I really try I can get it in mid forty's by breathing slower, but that's cheating in my book.

I'm also pretty ripped. I got about 5-8% body fat throughout the year including the winter holidays. But nobody believes me for some reason... Blame it on my Tanita % fat scale.

· Registered
577 Posts
Ive found something I love to do. I go for a ride when its nice out. Sometimes I go for a ride when its crappy out. I go for a ride when I am stressed. I go for a ride when Im feeling good.

I quit smoking.

I have more endurance :ihih:

Its exciting to find "new" muscles.

My riding got my Dad back into it and maybe now he'll live longer too. My sister and her husband both recently purchased bikes. Its addictive.

My fiance was pissed at me one night before a race and I did well and she didnt yell at me.

And its pretty...

· Registered
535 Posts
I got back in to riding bikes, specifically mountain biking, just after I got married and saw my weight at 250lbs (I'm 6'3 but I was still very heavy). Since then, I've done a lot of mountain biking, a bunch of hurting, gotten in to road biking and have had a ton of fun.

Pros:

• I'm rapidly approaching the 200lb mark.
  • I feel better, I look better (well I'm thinner)
  • I've learned a lot - I worked very hard to lose weight, get in great shape, etc. Then I broke my leg and lost almost all of my gains, and gained back my losses. Since getting back on the bike, I've lost 30 lbs (I lost more than I gained while I was out) and am in much better shape than I was before I got hurt. Overall, I learned what it's like to lose your hard work, I've learned what real pain is, and coming back from it has made me stronger on and off the bike.
  • I've made a lot of great friends, and seen things I probably never would have seen if I hadn't gotten in to cycling.

Cons:

• Bikes and bike stuff are expensive.
  • Replacing all my clothes that are now way too big is getting expensive
  • I usually ride in the morning, so I haven't slept past 8:30 since February

I love cycling. I'll be riding until I am physically unable to do so, which will hopefully be never ;)

· Registered
104 Posts
After I started cycling...

I eat way more food/calories than I used to.
I have much less time to spend with my friends & family b/c I'm out riding.
I spend all of my money on biking related purchases.
I am in better cardiovascular condition.

Like all other serious hobbies, bicycling is a time consuming one that could easily lead to obsession! :)

· Premium Member
10,106 Posts
JustWannaVW said:
I'm 26 years old, stand 5'8" and weigh about 275. I really want to get in shape and be healthy so I can be around for a long time.
I started cycling just after my 40th birthday; I now am on the verge of my 50th. Cycling has made a lot of changes in my life, including my spending too much time on RBR. :D I feel and look 10 years younger than I did when I started cycling. Given that you are 26 years old, you might not want to look like a 16 year old. But, when you are in your 40s, that is a good thing. I have met a lot of interesting people who I now consider good friends that I would not have met because of cycling and have traveled to places that I never would have visited if it were not for the bike. Now, your girlfriend may not want you to be playing with the flamethrower at thinkcooper's place in Santa Cruz, but she may not mind traveling to the Tour de France. (Actually, after three trips to France with my bike and me, Mrs. S now is happy to stay home while I ride in France.) But, the most tangible thing that I can say that might influence your girlfriend is that at the age of 40, I had high cholesterol, was 20 pounds heavier than I was at 25 and everytime that I would go to the doctor, he would give me a lecture about my health, etc. Now when I go for my annual physical, the doctor compliments me on my good health and tells me to keep on riding. The other thing that I can say is that whenever I have been unable to get in a good ride for a week or so, Mrs. S now orders me outside on the bike -- she says that it make a noticeable improvement in my mood.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Cycling allows me to crush other people's dreams, and to be an all around smartass, without getting in trouble with the law.

When I do get hurt, it's a good hurt.

· Registered
313 Posts
I have been cycling all my life and can't imagine life without it. :thumbsup:

On the lighter side, you'll discover varying extremes in the cycling world. Weight weenies, retro-grouches, fixed gear, racers, steel, carbon, Campy, Shimano..... etc, etc. :p

It is a very interesting group of people in the cycling world....and remember there is no wrong way to have fun on a bike. Enjoy it .:cool:

· Registered
236 Posts
Keeping up with Junior said:
Cycling is my mental escape from all of lifes challenges. Whether riding alone or with my friends a two hour ride leaves me feeling recharged. Whether its racing or just tooling around town I like to ride.

My son grew up on the back of our tandem. He has met so many good people through cycling and even now that he is out of the house he remains very active in cycling. There is nothing as thrilling as being in the middle of a race with your kid and watching them use all the skills you taught them. And while he can still outsprint me I still beat him from time to time.

I met my wife cycling and we still love sharing rides together. Courted her on the bike, told her I loved her the first time on a bike ride, made love to her on a bike ride, proposed to her on a bike ride... For us cycling is a great way to share life.

Cycling is a great place to pick up chicks too, but you may not want to show this part to your girlfriend.
Really? Nuh uh! Your wife makes you biased!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.