Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
It's all ball bearings
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious to see in which specific ways it has affected most folks 'round these parts since the major downturn.

Note: not meant to be political. Just wondering if and how you have felt the pinch, and how much of a strain it has had on your quality of life.

So...how's everybody hangin in there?

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
I haven't been affected. But I see some of my clients going into panic mode. I'll be fine as long as they stay afloat.

·
hello
3,394 Posts
My customers are getting their hair cuts less frequently now. My business has been roughly 20% down these past few months.
So I've been day trading but that hasn't been going well either....

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
roadfix said:
My customers are getting their hair cuts less frequently now. My business has been roughly 20% down these past few months.
Maybe that is because they are pulling it out.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Nothing personal yet. My wife teaches at a community college, and the legislature, in its infinite wisdom, is talking about cutting the budget by laying off teachers, even though all of the campuses are seeing huge enrollment spikes. It's cheaper for students to take 2 years at a CC and transfer than take 4 years at an expensive school (like the one where I teach). So anyway, we're just keeping our fingers crossed that she doesn't have to face any layoffs. The bright side is I got tenure two days ago, so at least my job is safe.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
February's credit card bil (which I pay off in full every month) was roughly 3x the amount that March is going to work out to.

That's what I call cutting back!

Of course, I was doing a lot of traveling and a lot of those expenses were traveling related ones... but I'm also saying no to unnecessary purchases, sticking to the grocery list and buying the cheapest of everything.

·
It's all ball bearings
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Von's post leads me to another question: have you been cutting back out of immediate necessity, or have you been cutting back in anticipation of things getting worse, or have you not been cutting back at all?

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
I've taken to sprinking conversations with phrases like "in this economy" and "with the current economic situation"

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
BenWA said:
Von's post leads me to another question: have you been cutting back out of immediate necessity, or have you been cutting back in anticipation of things getting worse, or have you not been cutting back at all?
I've been doing it both out of necessity and in anticipation. While I'm not broke, fixing the roof and going on two vacations in a month has me ouching a bit. I know I need to save for RAAM, and even though my job is fairly secure, I know that prices are rising.

Just the other day at the grocery store I realized that the cheapest apples were $1.79 a pound. WTF!??! They weren't even organic or anything! I've been checking prices and keeping a list of where I can find things a bit cheaper. I noticed that Whole Foods (of all places!!!) has rice milk for $1.99 while Superfresh charges $3.29 for the same size/same brand. Guess where I'll be buying my rice milk?

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
I'm officially broke until a month from now. I get paid tomorrow and it's all spoken for already. The check after that goes for unforseen truck repairs ($2000 worth not including the tires I also need) and groceries. :cryin: Gotta start selling some stuff I guess. I think I had more disposable income when I was a broke college student. Seems all my bills have gone sky high lately.

·
Registered
426 Posts
BenWA said:
Curious to see in which specific ways it has affected most folks 'round these parts since the major downturn.

Note: not meant to be political. Just wondering if and how you have felt the pinch, and how much of a strain it has had on your quality of life.

So...how's everybody hangin in there?
Just got a job after 7 months, fraction of previous pay. Have always kept bills down so not to much of a problem. Careful purchases til income increases some, looking for second job so I can sock some more cash away for future rainy days.

Quality of life hasn't changed much, did enjoy the time off but it did last to long.

·
Glue Sniffer
4,598 Posts
BenWA said:
It's been a few years since I traded in a life of stuff for a life of quality. Regardless of the economy, I live frugally so that I can afford the lifestyle I want.

I don't remember the last time I bought new clothes or went to the movies. But the money spent on a pile of dirt and a mini-ex rental pays for itself every day.

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
Business if flat with last year. I'm calling that a win.
Just got a 3 year contract that ensures no layoffs. I'm calling that a win for the employees.

I really thought the current economy was going to happen 10 years ago. So for the last 10 years I have been living like it was going to happen any day. I was way off then but it has put me in a very favorable position now.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
catzilla said:
It's been a few years since I traded in a life of stuff for a life of quality. Regardless of the economy, I live frugally so that I can afford the lifestyle I want.

I don't remember the last time I bought new clothes or went to the movies. But the money spent on a pile of dirt and a mini-ex rental pays for itself every day.
You going to hold off on popping that kid until the economy turns around? :idea:

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
catzilla said:

Wait till you have a kid. They are little money pits. :D

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Its more of a pain in teh arse to keep my mood uplifted by buying stupid sh*t.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.