Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
BCL489
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm talking the stolen kind of hot. Description on CL is as follows:

fuji 24 speed sl - $700
dont need it any more i got my new sick mustang cobra.. my cell is xxx xxx xxxx ask for shane.

First off, that is a bike that has an msrp of 2000+, id guess. Secondly, who in this forum would give up cycling, or knows someone who would, when they could afford to buy a muscle car? Also, he says "24 speed," but clearly the pictured bike is brand new sram force with a double crank, so it could only be 20 speeds.

I emailed the guy out of sheer boredom and curiosity. I could bite for 700 on that bike, if it is as pictured and in my size. Of course, assuming it's not stolen. The only ways i could rationalize this posting and consider it not stolen are if A) the guy got it as a gift B) works at a store in sales, got the bike on the cheap, and doesn't know its value C) is selling it for a lazy friend with deep pockets.

I paid 700 for my 08 roubaix ltd w/ ~200 mi on it from a guy who worked at a bike shop. I believe I got a deal because the guy had been trying to sell it for months and had only spent little more than 700 to build it up with his employee discount. So i guess this situation could be presenting itself again, assuming it's not a stolen bike and it is as pictured, not as described. How can I find out if it is stolen? Get the serial number and call the local police to verify? Ask to see a receipt?

Thanks.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Well, he took the pedals off, so maybe he uses it as a second bike. He prolly needs the money to cover a couple months of insurance premiums. Then the numero uno goes on the block.

Fuzzy photo...105 or Ultegra on there? Funky looking handlebars. In person, ask if he kept the original receipt. Give it your best guess (as to hotness) by his reply.

·
BCL489
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exactly. That's why I suspect it's stolen, unless it's an honest typo (something I've been guilty of on occasion). If I can get a look at it and see a receipt or at least test his knowledge of the bike, I'd be more likely to bite. I also asked for better pics, in case that isn't the actual bike he has.

I'm going to see if he will meet me at an LBS, ideally the one where he "purchased" said bike.

·
vexatious enigma
4,696 Posts
What is the frame made out of? If it's aluminum then yeah you may be getting a pretty good deal if it has Sram Rival or Force. If it's carbon then you may be a bit worried. That kind of price on a used bike. The new Cannondale Caad9 goes for about 1300.

I may be wrong and this guy might just be a complete idiot or he stole it and didn't check on anything --- so he's still a complete and total idiot. Actually even at that price hes and idiot because well --- look at it.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Looks like SRAM Force by the looks of the shifters (white on the shift levers -- Rival is all black, Red has red (duh) and white).

Reynolds carbon wheels too? Those surely don't come stock, and probably add, what, another $1500-2000 to the cost?

Nobody who actually cared enough to buy SRAM and carbon wheels would sell it for that little, new Mustang or not. I'd say 95% probability that it's stolen.

EDIT: I suppose they could be Reynolds Solitudes, which are aluminum. Still, not likely that they were stock on the bike.

Asad

·
BCL489
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it's actually an SL, then it's a carbon frame. And the graphics on the shifters and crank tell me that it is SRAM Force, assuming that's an actual picture. The wheels are also Reynolds Assault, according to the bike's factory spec (see bikepedia.com), which go for $1300ish. I think I'm slowly talking myself out of this, as it seems way too shady to be real, but worth a look if he can prove he bought it and it hasn't been crashed. I could sell the wheels, lace up something decent for 400, and still be in the black.

I'm getting way ahead of myself.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Could be a scary scam. First guy to show up with $700 cash will get jacked for the money. Not good, even if you met at a neutral spot in the middle of the day. If you feel like rolling the dice, at least show up with some friends and leave the money under your car's front seat. Or bring the fuzz with you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.