Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to mount a set of Continental Gators last week on my Easton Vista Wheelset. I Just about broke both my thumbs trying to mount them for over a half an hour. Then I had a thought; I grabbed the vaseline and applied a small amount around the inside of the bead. I was blown away how easy they popped on the rim. Combined with a bit of baby powder inside to keep the tube from sticking and a pinch of vaseline, you'll have a pleasant experience next time you try and mount that new set of rubber. Hope this helps someone else.

·
Registered
635 Posts
well done. i wish you had posted this about 3 hours earlier when my dad came in all pissed off after his cheapo-tube had flatted (stem had seperated from tube). of course I had to change the flat so he could go rider, and i had one heck of a time trying to get the last 6 inches on......(he now uses good tubes to hopefully avoid this again in the future) ill try it next time though, seems like itd work

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Wrong way to win

Billy Goat said:
I was trying to mount a set of Continental Gators last week on my Easton Vista Wheelset. I Just about broke both my thumbs trying to mount them for over a half an hour. Then I had a thought; I grabbed the vaseline and applied a small amount around the inside of the bead. I was blown away how easy they popped on the rim. Combined with a bit of baby powder inside to keep the tube from sticking and a pinch of vaseline, you'll have a pleasant experience next time you try and mount that new set of rubber. Hope this helps someone else.
You'd be much better off to use baby/talcum powder on the tire as well as the tube. This way, you don't have to worry about the petroleum jelly attacking the tire. The powder will work for you when you're out on the road and need to change a flat, so it's all good.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
soapy water is a better idea....

oily lubricants can attack the tire and tube and also cause the tire to slip on the rim, and make your brakes VERY noisy. I used to mount my own motorcycle tires (impossible to mount w/o lubricant IME) and a little dishwashing soap mixed w/ water worked well...

·
Registered
180 Posts
As a professional mechanic, I change tires of all flavors everyday. I'd broken hundreds of those cheesy black plastic things and have only broken 3 of the Pedros levers. I've yet to find a tire/rim combination that needed anything more heroic than that.

Now getting my first Tufo tubular-clincher mounted..... that was a nightmare. Luckily, I learned from that trial.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I second the dishwashing soap. I have Campy rims & without it, I think I'd have to send them to Tire Rack or Goodyear to get mounted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SBR(styrene-butadiene rubber) is basically the same as nitrile (Acrylonitrile-Butadiene)just different temperature properties. Nitrile is basically used for O-rings and gaskets more than SBR, which is most common in tires. Both will resist petroleum jelly....

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
So what do you dish soap people do when you get a flat on the road? Do you carry soap with you?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
MikeBiker said:
So what do you dish soap people do when you get a flat on the road? Do you carry soap with you?
Good question. Actually, I carry one of those Crank Bros. tools, which, if you're careful with it, works great. I also carry a very small bit of sunblock, (I'm very fair skinned), in my under-seat bag. That'd do 'til I got home.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Before I just sacked up and learned to roll the tire with my palms, I got a bead jack.

Thumbs aren't nearly as strong as the callused part of the palm at the base of your fingers. Use that instead.

M

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
******* said:
If you must ride with tires too diffucult to install...
It's not the tires, IME. It's the rims. I use the same tires on my Campy rims as I do on my Open Pro's. No probs at all with the Mavics.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.