Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean, we spend this money on jerseys that are made of a special fabric that is ment to keep you cool and wick sweat. I can think of a base layer keeping your jersey drier from sweat making it more breathable, is that why?

thanks!

·
Registered
935 Posts
I do not like wearing any sort of base layer during the warm weather months...not many up here.
They are a god send for the rest of the riding seasons.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Base layer in the summer is not going to help keep you cool, but some wear it to save skin in the event of a crash while racing. The idea is for the two layers to slide against each other.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
No base layer for me in the summer. You want to get rid of body heat as fast as possible.

For winter I've got tons of different base layers as the temp creeps down.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I think a lot of the supposed performance benefit of base layers in the heat vanishes if you ride in high humidity. I live in Bermuda and the rel humidity rarely drops below 80% in the summer. Even now with the temp around 75F, I am dripping at the end of a ride. There is no way that a base layer would do anything other than heat me up. It's all about getting airflow over the skin, so for me it's sleeveless jerseys with no base during the height of the summer.

In places with low humidity, I could see the structure of a base layer getting the chance to do what it was designed for since your sweat would evaporate so much quicker. But here, the base layer so quickly gets saturated with sweat that it just becomes a sponge.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
I wear a base layer in heat up till the 80's or so. Then it really depends on the humidity. If it's dry heat I'll still wear a base.

I find that thin skin tight base layers really help cool me off.. Plus I wear full length sleeves for added sun protection.. I'll take a little more heat and save my skin any day.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
I wear a base layer during the entire riding season.
I'll wear one till it gets into the mid-90s with that much humidity.

Until then, I'm wearing something under my bibs.

M

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't wear a base layer in the warmer months. Even with the low humidity here in Colorado Springs it would be too warm for me. Sleeveless jerseys work best for me.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I live in South Carolina where we get heat and humidity (high today will be in mid 90's). I got a very sweet deal on a Giordana summer sleeveless base layer so I picked one up and for the first time I have used one in the heat. I was VERY skeptical at first. It seems so counter intuitive that ANOTHER layer in the heat could actually cool you. Than I talked to an army buddy of mine who served in Iraq (120 degreees in summer). He said they all wear summer base layers there. Army issue. He was adamant that it helped in the heat. So I gave it a try. My original plan was to use it only this spring and then relegate it to the drawer once temps approached the upper 80's. Well, first of all I found it very comfortable. It is ultra light, and fits tight and is soft on the skin (this really sounds like I'm getting in touch with my feminine side, lol!). At any-rate, because of this I have just kept it on. Rode the other day with it when it was in the low 90's and felt great. I think even in the humidity it helps wick sweat and more importantly for me it keeps my sleeveless jersey from clinging to me. So far I will say that I am a believer.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'll wear a base layer for long climbs in the mountains (temps in 80's). Not much warmer but it sure keeps the annoying killer horseflies and bugs away for most of the ride.

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
I would say I don't wear a base layer because a cyclist is generally moving and has the advantage of convection to help remove heat from the skin. If you were standing or walking then the additional layer might keep the water next to your skin which helps cool you much like the body's own natural process. However not having that layer against your skin with air flow over it allows the sweat to be taken away that much faster thereby cooling you more efficiently.
(I think?)

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Cooling

I would say I don't wear a base layer because a cyclist is generally moving and has the advantage of convection to help remove heat from the skin. If you were standing or walking then the additional layer might keep the water next to your skin which helps cool you much like the body's own natural process. However not having that layer against your skin with air flow over it allows the sweat to be taken away that much faster thereby cooling you more efficiently. (I think?)
Actually, it is evaporation that provides nearly all of the cooling for a bicyclist at speed. Convection losses would be very small, especially as ambient temperature approaches body temperature. Evaporation of sweat is a far more important source of cooling. I'm agnostic on base layers and I don't use them, but convection cooling is not the issue.

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
You are right I used the wrong term!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
You only need one layer. If a "base layer" is doing something your jersey isn't, then fix your jerseys.

·
Banned
327 Posts
Riding up hills in the summer around here is an exercise in pouring water on onesself so riding speed isn't limited by overheating. Adding a base layer is just ludicrous.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts