Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mine wouldn't fit at all so I cut a tiny V shaped notch into the section that goes into the hole in the rim. I haven't had any issues after installing them. I think I just used my wire cutters or tin snips to cut the tiny V. I made it very small with just enough room for the plug to be a little flexible to fit. My fingers were still sore as hell after putting them on my rims.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
veloplugs

sixate said:
Mine wouldn't fit at all so I cut a tiny V shaped notch into the section that goes into the hole in the rim. I haven't had any issues after installing them. I think I just used my wire cutters or tin snips to cut the tiny V. I made it very small with just enough room for the plug to be a little flexible to fit. My fingers were still sore as hell after putting them on my rims.
So when I need to, how do I take them out??

·
Registered
214 Posts
You want them to fit tight. Remember the pressures from the inner tube that they'll be facing on a continuous basis. You can cheat them a little as described above, but after your wheels are built, a pin punch with a big fat front end (the biggest one in a set of Starrett pin punches) works fine for me. That plus a rubber mallet and you put them in quickly.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Veloplugs

framesti said:
Has anyone tried these? Are they a good idea? or is rim tape better?
I've been using them for a few years with good success. No problems, and I think it makes it a little easier to remove/mount tires. The only problems I have heard about is when your spoke hole doesn't match the size of the Veloplug.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.